I"m running Mint Tina, how do I change to Mint Cinnamon ?

@RayIN
Open the Menu and under Accessories look for USB Image Writer.
Once you've made a bootable USB than restart your computer while pressing whatever F-Key opens you're boot menu.
I'm not sure what F-Key opens HP boot menu ESC Key or F-9 Key.
Hope this helps I'm out back to cooking.

Nope Linux Mint Tina 19.2 cannot be on a DVD.
Some of us still refer to a disc CD or DVD as a CD.

As long as the OP can get on the internet then the OP can download the iso I've done it myself with out dated versions of Linux and it works fine.

Mint 19.2 can't be put on a DVD...how do you come to that conclusion ?
t1802.gif

Some call a CD a DVD...big difference between the two...it's like calling a HDD an SSD...just creates confusion to those trying to help.
These days I use a Flash Drive to burn ISOs...so much better.
t1806.gif

Last edited:
THIS IS A REPEAT OF @RayIN's post on the previous page....I have reproduced it here as much for my benefit as for the benefit of every one else.

Brickwizard, between the time you ask what happens when I press F9 and now I followed the instructions and selected USB to boot, then went to menu, typed in bootable and followed the instructions. This lead me to the correct procedure to create a bootable USB of Cinnamon, installed it, then I followed instructions from DW and ate breakfast. Now here I am with a fresh copy of Cinnamon + updates, and ready to connect to my printer and other stuff.
Thank you to everyone! Cinnamon already seems much better than Tina, and I haven't even started to understand this version. I'll by playing with it the rest of this week trying to figure out how to retrieve all my photos and files from Microsoft Onedrive.

SO, it is installed....Well done !!

Do you have an external hard drive?

If you do, then this could be a really good spot for your photos and files from One Drive

Also....now may be a really good time to get acquainted with Timeshift. Timeshift is similar to system restore....with one major difference....it works!

When you are ready, give a yell and we can guide you to set it up. It is really quite straightforward and does not take a great deal of time

-------------------------------------------------
""I followed instructions from DW"....does that mean Dear Wife??""

Correct me if I'm wrong, guys, but.......as far as I'm aware, 'Tina' is a specific release code-name, whereas 'Cinnamon' is a particular desktop environment. Yes?

Mike. :confused:

Yes you are correct...19.2 to be exact unfortunately some are a little confused to say the least and 19.2 is no longer available to download.
https://linuxmint.com/download_all.php
m0103.gif

Last edited:
Quite correct, Mike. The confusion has arisen with the OP...he is new to Linux...just dipping his toe in the water.....I believe he now has LM21.1....with a Cinnamon desktop environment.

The difference between a distro name and the DE was explained a page back

THIS IS A REPEAT OF @RayIN's post on the previous page....I have reproduced it here as much for my benefit as for the benefit of every one else.

Brickwizard, between the time you ask what happens when I press F9 and now I followed the instructions and selected USB to boot, then went to menu, typed in bootable and followed the instructions. This lead me to the correct procedure to create a bootable USB of Cinnamon, installed it, then I followed instructions from DW and ate breakfast. Now here I am with a fresh copy of Cinnamon + updates, and ready to connect to my printer and other stuff.
Thank you to everyone! Cinnamon already seems much better than Tina, and I haven't even started to understand this version. I'll by playing with it the rest of this week trying to figure out how to retrieve all my photos and files from Microsoft Onedrive.

SO, it is installed....Well done !!

Do you have an external hard drive?

If you do, then this could be a really good spot for your photos and files from One Drive

Also....now may be a really good time to get acquainted with Timeshift. Timeshift is similar to system restore....with one major difference....it works!

When you are ready, give a yell and we can guide you to set it up. It is really quite straightforward and does not take a great deal of time

-------------------------------------------------
""I followed instructions from DW"....does that mean Dear Wife??""
Yes DW is dear wife. I searched for timeshift linux and is is to restore Linux data. I stored all my stuff on Microsoft Onedrive using W10, will it still work?
I do have a Seagate 1TB USB backup drive. Now it has a mirror image( actually the last 5 backup images) of my W10 OS, files and pictures on it.

@RayIN, That seagate 1TB drive...treat it like gold!!.....That is where you will get to rescue your pictures etc from.

I would advise you to start a fresh topic for this

The images there will be saved in some type of windows format whereas Linux runs on a different format/file type

Start the topic...explain what has happened......then proceed carefully

When you have your pics on Linux 21.1 (cinnamon), then we can also advise on how to back them up.

Timeshift works wonderfully for Operating System files, but is NOT ideal for Pics

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Timeshift.
Just before we go there, can you click on Menu (bottom left hand corner of screen)....and type in Welcome Screen

Click on Welcome Screen.....and then tell me what it is says in the bottom right hand corner of that screen which has opened.

Kind regards to your DW....i can see she takes good care of you.

Quite correct, Mike. The confusion has arisen with the OP...he is new to Linux...just dipping his toe in the water.....I believe he now has LM21.1....with a Cinnamon desktop environment.

The difference between a distro name and the DE was explained a page back
Ah, looks like you're right, Brian. Must have missed it; I only did a quick 'skim' of this thread...

I belong to several Linux fora. I moderate on at least two of them, as you know.....and I never seem to have enough time to spend in any one of those forums..!

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
I do have a Seagate 1TB USB backup drive. Now it has a mirror image( actually the last 5 backup images) of my W10 OS, files and pictures on it.
I always back up my important doc's and pict's to an external drive,
you connect your external drive, open the desktop icon that says computer find the drive and right click and open [sorry this bit you will have to do] search to find your picture files on the windows partition, and open the folder [you can do the same for documents.]
Linux can read all your pic/doc files from windows, but windows cannot read anything on Linux using the ext3/ext4 file systems

I always back up my important doc's and pict's to an external drive,
you connect your external drive, open the desktop icon that says computer find the drive and right click and open [sorry this bit you will have to do] search to find your picture files on the windows partition, and open the folder [you can do the same for documents.]
Linux can read all your pic/doc files from windows, but windows cannot read anything on Linux using the ext3/ext4 file systems
Thank you for explaining that. Now that my computer is up and running 21.1 I have other priorities on the stove. I'll wait to do the copying from the external drive to my computer later. I must buy more thumb drives anyway, what do you recommend? I try to avoid Amazon, you get what you pay for.

you get what you pay for.
USB drives are not bulletproof and like all electronics have a limited work life, I always say get the best you can afford, I prefer quality chip sets [Kingston, Crucial, etc] but it can be difficult to find which chipsets any particular brand uses,

Members online