I"m running Mint Tina, how do I change to Mint Cinnamon ?

RayIN

Reaction score
Credits
I'm new to Linux. My old HDD quit so I added a 1TB SSD. Instead or going back to Windows 10 I thought now is a good time to go to Linux OS. I already had an old CD with linux on it, so installed it. Then found out Tina is no longer supported, thus I want to install Cinnamon instead. How do I do that?

Thanks, I had downloaded it to my files on my computer. Well, I cannot find the USB drive on my computer, where would it be?

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums.

You have to "burn" the ISO file onto the USB drive. Note this is not the same as using the file manager to take the ISO and just dump it into the USB drive. Make sure you select a drive where you're not storing anything highly important, because the "burn" operation destroys all existing data on that drive! On Windows you could use Rufus, Balena Etcher or such other program. I had bad experiences with Rufus but I cannot recommend something else better, somebody else will here eventually.

If you could still get into your old Linux Mint then you could take the ISO (copied to a different disk normally) then use "dd" terminal command to "burn" into the USB disk.

The trick is to make that USB drive bootable and to make an image of an operating system ready to be used in live mode.

After that is done then you have to boot from that USB disk. It wouldn't do any good if your computer boots from the internal disk. You have to go into the BIOS settings of your computer and change the boot order of the devices. Put "USB" or "external" or "removable" disk first of all, and "internal" disk last of all with "network" disk, or any option that appears like that. Save changes to BIOS and then reboot with the USB drive plugged in.

If you have an Hewlett-Packard laptop like I do, possibly one not built in these recent years, you could plug in the prepared USB disk, turn on the computer. Then as soon as there's any sign the screen comes on, press [ESC]. Wait a bit until it gives a message that it accepted that keypress then press [F9] or whatever key it tells you in a menu that it displays. This will bring you to a menu where you could choose how to boot. If you have a Sandisk USB disk then it might have the option to boot with EFI from there. Choose that; in many cases it will work. Otherwise you might have to go looking for the EFI file. Important: do not choose "OS Boot Manager" because that only boots into Windows.

Booting via "legacy" BIOS could be a pain if your computer has "secure boot" enabled, and there are other things to consider with computers being built in the last few years that might carry Windows11.

So, you are looking for the download on your pc which has Linux…Tina on it.
Click on menu and type in the name of the download eg Linux mint cinnamon 21.1, ….if that does not find it, download it again…. But this time BE SURE TO SAVE IT TO YOUR DESKTOP

Hmmm it looks like the OP cannot go back to Windows, had to purchase a new disk to replace the old one that broke down. The OP needs help to commit the ISO into an external USB disk so he could boot into live mode and/or install Linux Mint. I'm sorry about not being keen enough about the first post.

You might have to try to boot Linux from the CD to be able to use "dd" terminal command or something else. I don't know what else to say to help... sorry.

Because you’re VERY new to Linux…. I can give you a choice.
If you still have the usb stick with latest Linux mint cinnamon on it…. Put the usb stick in…..get it to your desktop….easier to manage there).. then right click on the file and select to make a bootable usb/disc from it. If that choice is not in the right click menu, then click on Menu and type in bootable (or similar)….there will ba an app on that Tina do the job of making a usb bootable. (Once you have the new Linux on your desktop, you take the usb stick out and use it to make the bootable usb from the . ISO file on the desktop) No need to format it or wipe it….. Linux will take care of that for you.
MAKE SURE you chose the usb stick to write the bootable file to….it’s size is a good hint.
Then, you need to discover how make your pc BOOT to that usb
Give us some detail here.. make, model, ram, hard drive etc etc…..

Last edited:
Thanks, I had downloaded it to my files on my computer. Well, I cannot find the USB drive on my computer, where would it be?

USB drives are physically separate devices from a computer. If you don't currently have any available for use you should be able to find one at a local retailer.

A 4GB one is enough to install Mint, but might as well get a slightly bigger one as software never gets smaller.

I'm overwhelmed with this. I have a HP p6-2350 computer, I've removed the old HDD and installed a 1TB SSD, then installed Tina from an old CD I had lying around.
My USB is a HP 32GB, Tina calls it- hp v 165w (3276). This is where I'm stuck, I see a msg that it is mounted but everything I try results in an error msg.
Thank you all for your advice. Now it's time for this 80 yr old to go to bed. I'll review this information again tomorrow.

Not sure I've ever used the Tina version of Mint, but a lot of Mint versions come with a USB Image Writer program installed. If available,, writing an image to a usb stick should be a 1-2 minute affair.

It's straightforward, point the program at the image, point it at the device and off it goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tina 19.2 is just out of support (April 23) and was over 2GB...can't be on a CD...OP must be using a very old version of Mint.
t1822.gif

Op might be able to download Mint Cinnamon 21.1 using a very old version of Mint but not sure you can now...if so burn the ISO to a Flash Drive...boot to it and install.
m1213.gif

My USB is a HP 32GB, Tina calls it- hp v 165w (3276). This is where I'm stuck, I see a msg that it is mounted but everything I try results in an error msg.
A few years ago I bought an USB "stick" with Hewlett-Packard brand which was 32GB. It crapped out on me while I copied files into it. It protested when I tried formatting it. This was while I was using Windows10, not Linux, but evidently the USB drive was bad.

Get something from Sandisk. I don't know other brands; Lexar and PNY are getting leery lately. Although I stayed with Sandisk I've had USB v3.0 64GB disks acting out. I'm not sure which model it is but it looks like an ancient American musclecar.(*) Not the much-better model which looks like the Cruzer Glide but doesn't have functioning lights anymore.

(*) EDIT: This is the model: https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-2-Pa...e4-843a-f09088420513&pd_rd_i=B08HSQP37L&psc=1

16GB should be enough to "burn" some ISO into it, but sadly the denominations aren't going lower than 32GB anymore. With that OfficeMax and other such stores should sell USB v2.0 disks at rock bottom.

But you didn't say which OS you are into, Windows or Linux Mint "Tina"? You didn't say if you were using the file manager while you tried to do stuff toward your USB disk?
Tina 19.2 is just out of support (April 23) and was over 2GB...can't be on a CD...OP must be using a very old version of Mint.
Yes that's why he's trying to get away from it. But it might be the only thing he has to "burn" the ISO onto an USB drive to be able to boot into something "newer".

Welcome to the forums,
OK so you have an HP about 12 yrs old probably with the AMD A8-5600k processor, this machine was built for Wind 8, and is ideal for use with Linux,

your short boot key will be either ESC or F9 [F9 is most common]

[ I am running Mint LMDE on this HP]

Good morning, When I press escape at startup I got the boot menu, I selected USB. Restarted machine and got some writing with "grub" following; that lost me again so restarted machine and returned here. I'm kinda like learning to drive all over again. Things that are basic to you folks is foreign to me.
That is one of the many reasons I'm getting away from Windows, just as I learned how to do something, along came an update that changed things :(

And what happens if you press F9 on start up?

Brickwizard, between the time you ask what happens when I press F9 and now I followed the instructions and selected USB to boot, then went to menu, typed in bootable and followed the instructions. This lead me to the correct procedure to create a bootable USB of Cinnamon, installed it, then I followed instructios from DW and ate breakfast. Now here I am with a fresh copy of Cinnamon + updates, and ready to connect to my printer and other stuff.
Thank you to everyone! Cinnamon already seems much better than Tina, and I haven't even started to understand this version. I'll by playing with it the rest of this week trying to figure out how to retrieve all my photos and files from Microsoft Onedrive.

in case it helps with your learning and research, Cinnamon is what's known as the Desktop Environment (DE). that governs how things look and work on your desktop as the name suggests. each version of linux mint gets a number and a code name. the code name for your old version (19.2) was Tina. the code name for mint 21.1 is Vera.

Cinnamon already seems much better than Tina,
You probably had the mate desktop on Tina, Cinnamon is an upgraded version of Mate, and very popular with Linux newbies, It may look a little different but works in the same way

t1822.gif
Some of us still refer to a disc CD or DVD as a CD.

I corrected my typo.
Satisfied @bob466
Op might be able to download Mint Cinnamon 21.1 using a very old version of Mint but not sure you can now...if so burn the ISO to a Flash Drive...boot to it and install.
m1213.gif
As long as the OP can get on the internet then the OP can download the iso I've done it myself with out dated versions of Linux and it works fine.

Last edited:
Nope Linux Mint Tina 19.2 cannot be on a DVD.
Some of us still refer to a disc CD or DVD as a CD.

As long as the OP can get on the internet then the OP can download the iso I've done it myself with out dated versions of Linux and it works fine.
Problem solved! I knew I could download the iso, I didn't know how in Linux. Pushing the ESC key, like Brickwizard said put me on the right path.
update: BTW, I did insert a CD/DVD to install Tina, don't have it now, threw it away after installation on my SSD. The first time it displayed "this version is no longer supported" when I tried to download updates, I knew then Cinnamon was next.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online