I cant install Linux on my UEFI 32 bit laptop

Ketwol

Reaction score
Credits
Hello folks,

I recently decided to switch from Microsoft to linux for my laptop.
I tried to install ubuntu and mint, but both didn’t work.
The installation itself works, but the grub installation doesn’t.
The error message I receive is: “execution of grub install/dev/mmcblk1 failed. This is a fatal error.”

Now Ive been looking through the web and found out that cheap laptops have a 64 bit CPU but a 32 bit UEFI BIOS.
This is my very first time with Linux and I am a noob, so please forgive my simplistic interpretation.

i tried this guide here:

But I am stuck at step “startup using the USB disk and hack grub” because I can’t find the GRUB config and I can’t update Apt, because the command syntax tells me it doesn’t work.

Ive been trying to solve this problem for 2 weeks now and I’m desperate, cause I am all new to this.

Can Someone show me the way? The system is an ACER SPIN SP111-32N

Kind Regards
Jan

Welcome to the forums, what age is your acer and what CPU is fitted and what is the part number or full model number of the netbook

Last edited:
the words UEFI and 32bit seem incongruent to me , but what do i know?

Hello Jan,
Welcome to the Linux.org Forums.
I have no quick answer for you But I am sure someone here will be able to help.
In any event good to have you here.
After further searching I did find this old 2020 thread that may be of help. Good luck
32 bit UEFI

Last edited:

A bit old, but perhaps still relevant.

I would try a live version of a new Fedora and try "install".

i tried this guide here:
I would not call that a beginners guide,
until I know exactly what variant of netbook you have,
IF you are doing away with windows completely, then try a full installation, making sure you let the installer partition the drive, But, before you start enter the BIOS and make sure windows fast boot [if installed] is disabled, and use a good quality branded USB pen-drive [we have had several problems with people using cheap ones]
and follow our beginners guide,

If as I suspect your netbook is 2017 or later, it will be 64 bit enabled

the words UEFI and 32bit seem incongruent to me , but what do i know?
They made a number of lower end machines like that a number of years ago. 32 bit bios/UEFI and 64 bit installs.
The op may get around it by just installing a 32 bit distro like MX see if that works for them.
MX

I found this also on the Debian Wiki page

Support for mixed-mode systems: 64-bit system with 32-bit UEFI​

Some systems have been released containing 64-bit Intel Atom CPUs (such as the Bay Trail), but unfortunately use 32-bit UEFI firmware with no BIOS compatibility mode. Using the 32-bit UEFI x86 support, an i386 installation should be possible on these machines but it won't make the most of the 64-bit hardware.

Debian Jessie (8.0) was the first Linux distribution to include full support for mixed-mode UEFI installation on these machines. The multi-arch installation media (available in netinst form) include the UEFI boot loaders necessary for both i386 and amd64 boot. By selecting "64-bit install" from the initial boot menu, debian-installer will install a 64-bit (amd64) version of Debian. The system will automatically detect that the underlying UEFI firmware is 32-bit and will install the appropriate version of grub-efi to work with it.

So it looks like at least in Debian their 32 bit install should work with the system and allow 32 bit UEFI booting. As it says though it will not make full use of the 64 bit processor. This is the trade off you may have to make with that machine to get Linux installed.

Is it possible to just switch to legacy mode and forego UEFI entirely? You can often disable it in the BIOS by enabling said legacy mode.

This is perfectly fine to do, especially if you're just going to use one OS on the system - though you can always use GRUB and have multiple systems even without UEFI.

I built some kickstart scripts specifically for this a few years back. But of course it only works if you use kickstart.

Have you checked your bios for a Legacy option most Acer's have the InsydeH2O BIOS which will let you change from UEFI to Legacy once changed reboot and try to reinstall

Have you checked your bios for a Legacy option most Acer's have the InsydeH2O BIOS which will let you change from UEFI to Legacy once changed reboot and try to reinstall
most of these machines did not offer legacy bios. But it's worth a look.

Thank you very much for your answers!

Model Number: N17H2
Manufacturing Date: 2017 / 12 / 22

BIOS:
CPU Info: Intel Pentium CPU N4200 @ 1.10GHz
System BIOS Verison: V1.03

Also, I have 2 Options on „Boot“

1. Boot Mode: [UEFI]
2. Secure Boot [Disabled].

I disabled the secure boot before I tried to install.

Do you need more information?

Thank you for recommending Debian. I have absolutely no problem trying that, because as far as I understood, Linux is hard to install on a laptop like this one.

What version of Debian do you recommend? Shall I use an old one and if so, where do I get it ? Do I just download it and install it via bootable USB Stick that I can create with RUFUS?

I would be thankful for a Debian version that you recommend for my system. I would download one and install it with the help of your beginners guide.

Kind Regards
Jan

This is what I found,
SPECIFICATIONS Model Number: N17H2
Intel Pentium N4200 1.10GHZ
4GB RAM
64 Bit Operating System
Windows 10 Home
64GB SSD
Built in wifi
Built in bluetooth
Built in webcam
Built in microphone

So I would try, turn off UEFI, check to see if it has windows quick start [in the bios] and if so disable it, and when you install your chosen distribution select legacy mode, If It's going to be Linux only, then don't play around with the partition manager, just let the installer do it by choosing use complete disc. And use the guide as in post #6

I would definitely go for a 64 bit installation as a first option, with being prepared to fall back to a 32 bit system only if necessary.
Some distributions will work better than others, so it will be best to download 5 or 6 different ones to try live,

Now the warning bit, this is a lower end specification machine, don't expect too much of it, the N4200 is not the most capable processor, So I would advise you to look at using either a mid-weight distribution, something like, Kubuntu, MX, Peppermint or a lightweight distribution, like Lubuntu, Linux lite, Puppy [some have both 64 and 32 bit offerings]

I do not recommend any particular distribution, as this is your personal choice based on how you like the look and feel of the distribution and how well it will work on your machine

No doubt other members will chip in with a few more suggestions

Bwiz

Last edited:
Hi,
The current version of Debian should work but you want to download the 32 bit version. Good Luck.
Debian
Also you should be able to get MX-linux to work and it may be easier to configure.
MX
They only offer 32 bit in XFCE and Fluxbox. XFCE is a good choice.

1. Boot Mode: [UEFI]

Can that be disabled? If so, you should be able to install a 64 bit distro without much fanfare.

Members online