I cant copy Paste in my Drive

Robinbd

Reaction score
Credits
Greetings...

Guys, I am using Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa. Here is my computer configuration: Processor: i3 - 8 Generation, Heard disk: 1TB, 2 partitions- first is 411 GB and another is 475. Rest of the spaces for the system.

Problem:

1. Cannot copy paste in my drive.

2. Cannot Create Folder in my drive.

Please suggest me and help me solve this problem.

Robin

I am using Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa.
About time, you upgraded to the latest version of Mint, you should be able to safely do this via the update manager [but I do recommend you back up important files to an external source first] [this may also solve your other problem]
it is important that once you have your distribution fully up and running, you install "Timeshift" [or similar]
1. Cannot copy pest in my drive.
2. Cannot Create Folder my drive.
there could be several reasons, missing codecs/dependencies, a problem with the mouse/touchpad, [if you're using a wireless mouse make sure it has a good battery in it, as when the battery gets low in power they become unstable]
cut and paste works very much the same as windows, highlight file, right click, select copy and click, go to where you wish to place it, left click to raise cursor, left click and then click paste.

Hera is @ Please state the make and model number of your machine or its specification

Attachments

• Serial_Info.png
    Serial_Info.png
    70.8 KB · Views: 140
  • Serial_Number.png
    Serial_Number.png
    138.7 KB · Views: 126
dimide is fine for single components [ -t is motherboard only]
for a full specification, use inxi -Fnxxz

@abhile95
zip file also cannot copy paste and it is not a problem of USB but I cant do any activity in my drive

I have taken a look at the inxi, there is nothing showing that gives me cause for concern,
My leaning would still be to upgrade the mint to the latest version.

I am wondering if it's just permissions?

Who owns the directories these drives are mounted at? Are you trying to move/copy these files with root permissions?

Try scanning the USB with anti virus. Last time, I came across this type of issue. It was infected and it turned all files hidden or system.

Try to zip the files and folder, then move the zip file. It might take time depending on the size.
when I go to my drive-> right click my mouse-> the menu doesn't allow me to create a folder.

Yup. That sounds like a permissions issue.

Navigate to the drive in the terminal and use the almighty chown <user>:<user> /path/to/drive and you should be good to go.

Hmm... You might need a -R in there as well, for 'recursive'. So, 'sudo chown -R kgiii:kgiii /dev/sdb' or something like that.

Greetings...

Guys, I am using Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa. Here is my computer configuration: Processor: i3 - 8 Generation, Heard disk: 1TB, 2 partitions- first is 411 GB and another is 475. Rest of the spaces for the system.

Problem:

1. Cannot copy paste in my drive.

2. Cannot Create Folder in my drive.

Please suggest me and help me solve this problem.

Robin

It's time to move to 21.1 as support for 19.1 ends in April this year.

Has this problem been happening for some time or just recently. ?
This might be the time to switch to an SSD for many reasons...when I install Mint...I let the installer create one partition only and I never have problems.
m1212.gif

I've been using Mint Cinnamon since 17.2 and have never had your problems...could happen with a Flash Drive but I've never had this with an Internal Drive. Sounds like it's user created or maybe the HDD as it's 4 years old...I'm only guessing.
Can you run a SMART test.
m1512.gif

This might be the time to switch to an SSD for many reasons...when I install Mint...I let the installer create one partition only and I never have problems.
m1212.gif

I'd be checking if the drive has gone read only.

@Robinbd can you give us the output of

Code:
mount | grep /dev/

Give it to us in code tags, not as a picture.

dHWsUJl.png

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

BTW welcome to linux.org :)

OP,

Did you work out what the problem was and did you fix it. ?
m1516.gif

Staff online

Latest posts