I am just learning of this now. The founder of ELRepo has passed away.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
This didn't appear to get much news coverage and I'm just learning about this now. This says it better than anything I'd say:

There are links below the article that you can follow to learn more about ELRepo if you want.

He must've been up there in age if he started off in Unix, so maybe he died of age-related issues

He must've been up there in age if he started off in Unix, so maybe he died of age-related issues

Dunno the reason but, for reference, I am older than Unix and used Unix before moving to Linux (technically true). I did use Windows from like 3.1 up to Vista.

Dunno the reason but, for reference, I am older than Unix and used Unix before moving to Linux (technically true). I did use Windows from like 3.1 up to Vista.
I saw @SpongebobFan1994's line and ... I was going to post about jumping to conclusions. I felt that even today, someone might start out in Unix.

The more I thought about it, the more I realized that no, people today learn from Linux before they encounter Unix, so @SpongebobFan1994 has few worries that he will run into a young person that started with Unix before Linux.. so I decided not to post, until @KGIII posted their comment.

But ... ouch. Ya' know, I don't feel "old". How can you feel old if you are running Linux? Linux is the hot new modern operating system that all the cool kids run, right?

You made me think...

people today learn from Linux before they encounter Unix
Hmm... If someone wanted to argue, they might argue that macOS is a Unix.

Wikipedia agrees.

macOS is a Unix operating system developed and marketed by Apple Inc. since 2001.

So, if someone wanted to argue, it's feasible (especially with Apple being popular in schools) that one could start with a Unix and then move to Linux.

But, to get to the meat of it, we're old. Well, relatively old. This forum (specifically the regulars) skews older, from what I can tell (by those that share their age). I'm in my mid-60s and am nowhere near the oldest person here.

Hmm... A few of us probably started with an abacus!

to get to the meat of it, we're old. Well, relatively old. This forum (specifically the regulars) skews older, from what I can tell (by those that share their age).
:oops:
:rolleyes::eek:

Staff online