Huh... 18 years ago today, WordPress was born.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits

(That currently says 17 years ago, but it was today, the 27th, in 2003.)

~1/3 of the web is run with WP.

Also notable:

"WordPress is used by 41.4% of the top 10 million websites as of May 2021, WordPress is one of the most popular content management system solutions in use."

It says 'one of', but the source has WP as the largest except for "Other" which is a mix of different systems. So, it's the most popular singular CMS out there.

Last edited:
On their list, I only use two of them - and I've got an obscene number of plugins (75 active plugins).

I've used WP for a quite a while, but mostly had pretty basic sites. The Linux Tips site is pretty advanced/full of features.

I've got an obscene number of plugins (75 active plugins).
I also had tons of plugins installed on my sites. It was a hassle to update plugins manually each time, but that was years ago. After that, I set my plugins and website to be automatically updated.

I've used WP for a quite a while, but mostly had pretty basic sites. The Linux Tips site is pretty advanced/full of features.
I've been using WordPress since 2009 and a fan of the standard HTML/text editor. By the end of 2018, WordPress introduced the Gutenberg editor and I don't like it. I use the Classic Editor plugin to disable Gutenberg.

Last edited:
Since like version 5.3 (maybe older) WP now has the ability to automatically update itself, themes, and plugins. You no longer need a plugin to enable automatic updates. It works well enough. The control is on the plugins main page. You can even sort by plugins without automatic updates enabled and enable them from that page. So, that's one less plugin we need.

I do not like the new editor. I also use the Classic Editor and TinyMCE Advanced - which has now changed its name to Advanced Editor Tools. I was down to just a few sites when Gutenberg came out. I tried it on one of the music sites and absolutely didn't like it. I gave it a whole month of publishing and just couldn't adapt. So, it was back to the Classic Editor.

I might as well point out that Softaculous will also let you install the Classic Editor during the installation process. Softaculous, recognizing how large WP really is, even has some neat WP-specific management tools.

Members online