How to get Ubuntu to see my hardware correctly?

Why don't you go ahead and copy some of those errors and post them at the paste site I linked above.

Someone'll step in and see if they can help you get this sorted.

Hello,

I tried to create an account with paste.linux-tips.us but I never received the confirmation email. I definitely entered the right email address. Nevermind. I'll just patiently google the errors one by one over the next weeks to try to learn how to fix it. In the meantime, at least I can use the computer and get on with recording my tracks. If I find a solution, I'll report back. Thanks again everyone for your kid help.

Best

Matt

Hello,

I tried to create an account with paste.linux-tips.us but I never received the confirmation email. I definitely entered the right email address. Nevermind. I'll just patiently google the errors one by one over the next weeks to try to learn how to fix it. In the meantime, at least I can use the computer and get on with recording my tracks. If I find a solution, I'll report back. Thanks again everyone for your kid help.

Best

Matt
I just use the 3 little dots next to the smiley face in the menu bar usually either Spoiler or Code function circled in red to add text
Screenshot_2021-09-09_14-46-56.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to create an account with paste.linux-tips.us but I never received the confirmation email.

You shouldn't need an account to post. I'll look into seeing why it didn't send you an email. It may have ended up in your spam box, though I took steps to prevent that. It's seldom used so I don't pay too much attention to it. It'll be good to go through and check settings.

I definitely entered the right email address.

It gets so few spam attempts that I can keep it clean. I deleted your account. You should be able to register again without needing confirmation.

You can also post code here, but large volumes of text are tough to wade through. Either will work and I'm sure people will at least *try* to help you get it resolved.

Oh. Alright. I didn't realise you administed that other site. I will try again to sign up.

Ok well I pasted 'My errors'. Looks like I archived it. It's the most recent one. Couldn't see how to generate a URL. Have I done it right? If anyone can see the glaringly obvious power errors that is stopping the power off button working (to bring computer out of sleep), then please let me know. I will Google them myself as well and try to repay your kindness in a way that I can (not by sharing my knowledge of linux obviously).

I have just finished reading this Thread of 43 Posts (27 still here, 16 deleted by mostly 2 of 3 participants).

In my 4+ years here, I have not seen a Thread of this size where over 1/3 of the Posts comprised what we in Oz call a "slanging match".

That won't solve anything, gentlemen.

@Matt73 Matt I wonder if either of the following suggestions has merit, or if it falls into the Too Hard category?

• Save your recorded tracks and other essential personal data to a large USB stick or external drive or other, and reinstall Studio cleanly, and see if the problem persists
  • Consider asking at Ubuntu (Studio) forums whether others have had a similar problem.
With the latter, if you learn an outcome elsewhere, by all means come back and share it with us, so we can add the knowledge to our Wiki.

Folks, we have enough crap in our lives with COVID, without having to set on each other over matters which ultimately are not as important as we think.

Try to be civilised and supportive to each other, yeah? :)

Cheers and Avagudweegend

Wizard

BTW - I actually do have Asperger's Syndrome, and 7 other disorders, and they are managed and medicated. I am happy to joke about it, but stay away from using it as sarcasm or insults, please.

The other guy started it. I see you don't pull him up. I've racked my brains over this and resent being told that I'm not willing to learn or that perhaps Windows is better suited to me. Anyway, we dropped it and deleted the posts so why get involved now? By the way, it's not COVID that's the problem, it's tyranny. It's a deliberate depopulation program. And you're response is to 'stay safe observe the rules'? No, the correct response is resist, defy do not comply. I have never worn the slave muzzle anywhere ever. I have totally ignored all the COVID insanity. And if anyone tries to use force to inject me or my kids with that MRNA poison then I will treat it as an attempt at murder and defend myself accordingly.
Now if anyone has anything constructive to say on my ksystem log errors, then I would be grateful. Everyone is a newbie at some point and I will pass the kindness on in any way that I can.

The other guy started it

I have had children and grandchildren who have used that line, with just as little success.

I am ending it. Get over it.

I have made a couple of suggestions above, it is your choice whether you follow them or wish to ask more about them.

In that

4+ years here

... I have seen this linux.org community grow from 4,600 members to in excess of 47,000 - do the maths

You digitally signed an agreement a week ago when you joined, if you have forgotten that, I suggest you re-read it under Terms and rules.

If you wish to renege on that, and not be a part of this community, then vote with your feet, press the Contact us link, and ask for your Membership to be rescinded.

If that is so, I wish you good luck in finding a better Forum, and good luck with your Linux, or other system.

That is all, thank you.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

By the way, it's not COVID that's the problem...

I've started this thread for those that .....https://linux.org/threads/conspiracy-theories.36557/post-134740

Yeah, it's all just a conspiracy theory. All those millions of crazy conspiracy theorists marching the streets worldwide.

Anyway, I didn't come here to argue about CONVID. I didn't renege on anything. I was insulted and I defended myself in a pretty mild way and that was that. Apart from that, everyone has been super great and I'm willing to forgive that Nelson guy. He's probably alright when you get to know him.

Like I say, I am grateful for all the help that's been given here. So let's just drop the argument. If anyone is kind enough to take a look at the errors in my system and give a hint as to why my power button isn't working right I would be grateful.

I haven't fully followed this thread, so I might have missed something.

On my H.P laptop [
description: Notebook
product: HP Laptop 14-cm0xxx (6ZJ47EA#ABU)
vendor: HP
]

, i don't mind screensaver kicking in ; otherwise I just hit power button, use my laptop then everytime , from menu just shut it down; so sleep hibernate are extras i don't need. My laptop boots up really quick and usually with save foliate it remembers where i was if reading a book

But the crux of the issue; is it the fact the laptop sleeps and then there's an issue getting it to come back to life?

What does anybody think about a lateral approach and just disabling sleep, along the lines of :

sudo systemctl mask sleep.target :

Generally you go into the Power Manager and you can configure the power button and lid option from there since Ubuntu Studio uses the Xfce Desktop - Click Menu - Settings- Power Manager

@Matt73 - can you tell us if you are using Ubuntu Studio 20.04 LTS or 20.10?

If the latter, the above question is academic. Up until, and including 20.04 Studio has used the Xfce DE (Desktop Environment). With the release of 20.10, it began using KDE.

This will influence where Power Settings are found and what options you have.

TIA

Wizard

Asked and answered, I think.

I have just used Ctrl-f (find) on the OP's pastebin material to find reference to

org.kde.ksystemlog.desktop

which I guess indicates 20.10

Helpers note the OP is on the KDE desktop.

Matt, are you aware that support for this point release is only 9 months, and ends in January 2022?

Wizard

I watched a YouTube video today with some Linux guru saying that Linux is just not always compatible with some hardware and there's nothing that can be done. I wish I had known that before I had bought this laptop. I started with Linux about 1yr and 9 months ago and it worked just fine on my old laptop and I just assumed it would run right on anything. Out of curiosity I installed Linux Mint today. It still won't come out of suspend with the power button but it did cure another major problem that I was having with the audio settings in my DAW in connection with my USB audio interface. They would work but when I closed the program and reopened, the audio was distorted and I had to fiddle around in the DAW audio settings again changing to other things before reverting to the original settings or, more often, restart the computer to get the audio to work right. Now it works correctly consistently. I had forgot how much I like the look of Mint too.

Anyway, when I boot up. A message about an ACPI error flashes up before it goes into loading the OS up. I will read up about ACPI and maybe find a remedy but it's not the end of the world to just shut down when I go to the park rather than put the computer into sleep mode. It's a pretty minor thing. I'm pretty happy that the DAW works ok now. Can get on recording the album which is all I have been trying to do before all these tech headaches got in the way. I'm very glad the Mint solved the DAW issue as it was with a very heavy heart that I was considering going back to Windows just for the sake of having a power button that works and a DAW that works smoothly.

But it may be the case that Linux just doesn't run 100% right on this machine. Next time I will choose a purpose built linux laptop. For now, the DAW works smoothly so I can chill and let all this new info consolidate before learning more and building upon all the linux knowledge I have already gained.

There are many distros out there. Just because your laptop is not compatible with Ubuntu Studio, it doesn't mean that you cannot use Linux on it. Ubuntu Studio is not that popular here. It requires more resources than other distros. 8GB RAM is recommended, but even more for audio/video work.
Read the system requirements here.

If you are looking for alternatives, check out these lists on Distrowatch:
Linux distros for beginners: Click here
Linux distros for old computers (low RAM, low CPU etc): Click here
Alternatives to Ubuntu Studio- Linux distros for multimedia: Click here

Last edited:
Ran the script with high hopes. Now the laptop won't boot (I'm on my other one now). It won't even boot up. This is literally driving me mad. I just want a working laptop that functions as it should and to use a DAW that functions as it should. How bitterly, bitterly disappointing this is.

Staff online

Latest posts