How to easily fix problems with the sound for newbies

rado84

This is a simple instruction for newbies about how to fix problem with the sound on Linux, like missing sound from any application, weird static noise from the speakers, or even noise from the microphone when the environment around it is perfectly quiet. I've done this in Mint but as far as I know it should work with all distros.

1. Open terminal.
2. Type
Code:
pulseaudio -k
and press enter. This will kill the audio service and the icon from the bottom right corner will disappear. Don't panic - the disappearance of it is completely normal and wanted.
3. Wait for a few seconds and if the icon doesn't reappear, type
Code:
pulseaudio -D
This will start the audio service and with it the perfect Linux sound will return.

Note: if the icon did reappear after Step 2, don't proceed to Step 3 or the terminal will return an error and there's a small chance for you to crash the audio service.

Bayou Bengal

Tested it, and it worked! Thanks! Handy thing to know! This tip should have a sticky!

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter

rado84

Since I'm lazy and I like everything to be easy, I turned the first command into a desktop shortcut. Here's how:

1. Create an empty file without extension and place it wherever you want.
2. Open the file and in it type (without the quotes) "pulseaudio -k". Save the file and close it.
3. Right click on the file, go to "Properties", "Preferences" or whatever your File Manager calls that section of the context menu. Click on the tab "Rights" and then on the checkbox "Make this file executable".
4. Go to your desktop, right click on an empty space and select "create a new launcher here".
5. Browse for the file and select it. In title type whatever you want.
6. Click on the checkbox "Launch in terminal", select an icon for it and click OK.

And that's it - you have a one-click-away way to fix your sound when the problem occurs.

Last edited:

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
I wouldn't call it lazy (OK, I'm lazy too) - I would call it innovative :)

Rado you might just want to tell some of the folks how to make the file executable, with an example

Cheers

Wizard

rado84

I just added it to the post, altough I think it's pretty obvious on the "how to".

Members online

No members online now.