Heroic and Epic Games on Linux Mint {Solved}

Alexzee

Reaction score
Credits
Been doing some searching online on how to run Epic Games on Linux and found out about Heroic.

Looking at the limitations I'm not sure if this is the correct game launcher that I should use or not.

Current Limitations on the Flatpak:

• Heroic will not find or use Wine and Proton Flatpak versions. At least for now.
  • For now would be better to use the Built-in Wine Manager to download and install Wine and Proton Versions.
  • It should find Proton from the Steam folder for both Steam Flatpak and non-Flatpak if they are on installed on the library inside your $HOME folder
  • Heroic cannot access /usr/bin so it won't be able to find any wine or proton installed there for now.
Does this mean that Heroic won't be able to play Windows games?

Has anyone running Linux had success with Heroic?

Been using Heroic with great success for a while now. Not the flatpak version though, I use the appimages. The nice thing about Heroic is that it can download the latest Proton GE and Wine GE for you, as well as use the native Wine and Steam's Proton. So you end up with the best of all worlds, having all the latest in compatibility stuff right there.

It's basically a fancy Wine frontend, but it's nice having some cover art to go along with your games.

Been using Heroic with great success for a while now. Not the flatpak version though, I use the appimages. The nice thing about Heroic is that it can download the latest Proton GE and Wine GE for you, as well as use the native Wine and Steam's Proton. So you end up with the best of all worlds, having all the latest in compatibility stuff right there.

It's basically a fancy Wine frontend, but it's nice having some cover art to go along with your games.
Thanks Insomniac.

I'll see if I can find the non-flatpak. Glad to hear that Heroic works!
Found it here:

Enjoy the holiday!

Last edited:
I'm not finding Heroic to download it from appimage.github-

Any ideas?

I'm not finding Heroic to download it from appimage.github-

Any ideas?

@Alexzee :-

Until ya get used to it, Github is NOT the easiest place in the world to navigate round.....but it's worth putting the effort in to learn their "system", because there's an absolute treasure-trove of software hosted there. It's where many well-known developers keep their material.

It's where we source most of the tarballs for the updater scripts on the Puppy-portable browsers, for instance...

Mike. ;)

Until ya get used to it, Github is NOT the easiest place in the world to navigate round.....but it's worth putting the effort in to learn their "system", because there's an absolute treasure-trove of software hosted there. It's where many well-known developers keep their material.

It's where we source most of the tarballs for the updater scripts on the Puppy-portable browsers, for instance...

Mike. ;)
Thanks!

Do I need the Heroic-2.8.0 amd64.deb or do I need the Heroic- 2.8.0 AppImage?
I am not a gamer ..you were asking for the Applmage

I am not a gamer ..you were asking for the Applmage
I can try the Heroic-2.8.0 AppImage and see how it works on Mint.
Insomniac confirmed that the AppImage works so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I've got zero experience with gaming. I know I have to create an account with Epic Games however; I've got no clue on how to run those games in the Heroic Launcher. Muddeling through as I use my search engine:-

Ha! You've beaten me to it.....I just found that this morning. I visit MakeUseOf quite regularly, but they keep re-designing the site layout; makes locating material you know you've read before almost impossible to find again.

It's downright annoying, to say the least....

Mike. :rolleyes:

Ha! You've beaten me to it.....I just found that this morning. I visit MakeUseOf quite regularly, but they keep re-designing the site layout; makes locating material you know you've read before almost impossible to find again.

It's downright annoying, to say the least....

Mike. :rolleyes:
Found it yesterday:-

The company that owns MakeUseOf is Valnet Inc. They have a e-mail contact if you'd like to let them know how unhelpful it is to keep re-designing the site's layout.

The Heroic Games Launcher downloads from the website are at https://heroicgameslauncher.com/downloads and the appimages link to github directly.

Instead of direct downloads you can also go here for the latest releases https://github.com/Heroic-Games-Launcher/HeroicGamesLauncher/releases

To use an appimage just make it executable and run it. To do that in a terminal use "chmod +x filename", in the gui right click > properties > permissions tab > allow executing as a program.

Appimages are kind of similar to "portable applications" you might be used to coming from Windows. They bundle most (but not all) of their prerequisites and should just run basically anywhere. They're not perfect, but sometimes preferable to actually installing otherwise.

Been doing some searching online on how to run Epic Games on Linux and found out about Heroic.

Looking at the limitations I'm not sure if this is the correct game launcher that I should use or not.

Current Limitations on the Flatpak:

• Heroic will not find or use Wine and Proton Flatpak versions. At least for now.
  • For now would be better to use the Built-in Wine Manager to download and install Wine and Proton Versions.
  • It should find Proton from the Steam folder for both Steam Flatpak and non-Flatpak if they are on installed on the library inside your $HOME folder
  • Heroic cannot access /usr/bin so it won't be able to find any wine or proton installed there for now.
I only use Lutris and Steam myself, however I do use ProtonUp to install updated versions of Wine and Proton for both Lutris and Steam. I wouldn't be surprised if ProtonUp has support for the Heroic Games Launcher
But why would it be bad to use the built-in Wine Manager to download and install different versions of Wine and Proton? All the AppImages I've used I find useless because they don't have built-in menu integration and that I had to create a menu item each time myself. I'm sure it must be possible if you create a good AppImage but I prefer Flatpaks because I can just update than from the command-line.

Last edited:
But why would it be bad to use the built-in Wine Manager to download and install different versions of Wine and Proton? All the AppImages I've used I find useless because they don't have built-in menu integration and that I had to create a menu item each time myself. I'm sure it must be possible if you create a good AppImage but I prefer Flatpaks because I can just update than from the command-line.

The version of Wine shipped with Mint is outdated. Wine and Proton are seeing a lot of development the past few years, and running an outdated version both isn't great and there isn't a good reason for it. One of the first things I do after installing Mint is installing Wine using their instructions at https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu as opposed to using the distro provided version.

As for where appimages are most useful, it's mostly for applications that are similarly updated rapidly where the distro packages don't keep up. An example is PS1/PS2 emulators. Flatpaks could fill this void but the developers are providing appimages, not flatpaks.

Another benefit of appimages is that you can make a folder with the same name as an appimage with .home in the name. So name.appimage and name.appimage.home. That way whatever files and folders would have ended up in your home folder instead end up in that folder instead. So your app becomes "portable" from one computer to another.

Want to transfer the emulators and games you rarely play to an old computer attached to a tv? Only takes a move command. Want to delete your entire Heroic library with no trace left behind? Done. Nice not having to remove shader caches and other stuff afterwards.

The lack of menu integration is whatever for me, it takes what, 20 seconds to make your own menu item? Worth the hassle for the other benefits.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Insomniac :-

I'm glad someone else appreciates the many advantages of using AppImages!

I've been a fan from the very early days of this package format. The main complaint levelled at both FlatPaks AND Snaps is the humungous amount of space required for the "framework" both insist on having before they'll condescend to run (I believe FlatPaks are worse than Snaps in this respect. At least, that's the impression I get, from the many Linux fora to which I belong).

Okay, with 32 GB RAM and 5 TB+ of storage, this shouldn't bother me, I suppose. And I guess it's not so noticeable if you run a number of apps in this particular format.....but I like the principle behind AppImages, of unpacking into /tmp for the duration, then when you're finished with it the whole thing is "off the system" again. At least, the format would be better still if there wasn't such a large number of packagers who simply re-pack existing .debs, without taking the time to do the job properly. Many of these are still hunting around the system for their dependencies.....which kinda defeats the concept of 'portability'.

(I've been building my own Menu entries for so many years it's automatic for me now. I create 'em without even thinking about it. In my view, it's hardly worth complaining about such a minor issue...but, "horses for courses", I guess. We're all different, and have different expectations from our installations.

Running 'Puppy' Linux, you tend to get used to diving into the nuts'n'bolts of the OS, and "tinkering" with stuff to suit yourself! Puppy also makes you independent, because you no longer expect, or rely on someone else to do all the work of compiling/building/packaging. I appreciate it takes a certain mind-set to take advantage of the way Puppy works; it's definitely not for everyone...)

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
As for where appimages are most useful, it's mostly for applications that are similarly updated rapidly where the distro packages don't keep up. An example is PS1/PS2 emulators. Flatpaks could fill this void but the developers are providing appimages, not flatpaks.
I've only had to use an AppImage once or twice since all the applications that I want to use through Flatpak are available on Flathub.
It doesn't really matter if you are running a rolling release distribution but Flatpaks, Snaps and AppImages doe have their place. I like to use Flatpaks for proprietary applications because then they are sandboxed even though the sandbox ain't perfect and for applications that require 32 bit libs on your system.

Another benefit of appimages is that you can make a folder with the same name as an appimage with .home in the name. So name.appimage and name.appimage.home. That way whatever files and folders would have ended up in your home folder instead end up in that folder instead. So your app becomes "portable" from one computer to another.
I prefer using a command-line tool to install my packages, Flatpak being similar to using the normal package manager.
Want to transfer the emulators and games you rarely play to an old computer attached to a tv? Only takes a move command. Want to delete your entire Heroic library with no trace left behind? Done. Nice not having to remove shader caches and other stuff afterwards.
I don't play emulator games behind in front of my tv, if I play an emulator I do it at my desk and now days it's even possible to stream games from your desktop to your tv. I keep my Games library for Steam and Lutris in separate location, easy enough to remove the whole library without complications.
The lack of menu integration is whatever for me, it takes what, 20 seconds to make your own menu item? Worth the hassle for the other benefits.
It takes more than 20 seconds because last time I did it took me 5 minutes because then I want to find the perfect icon for a menu item as well :)

I did forget that distributions like Mint have packages that are outdated but yeah good to use Flatpaks, AppImages or Snaps for those applications. Lastly I wasn't trying to start a Flatpak vs Snaps vs AppImages discussion or argument, I was just stating what I use myself and you are too ;) but you don't have to convince me of anything. I tend to use them in these order:
1. Packages from the default repos.
2. If they aren't available from the repos I use Flatpaks.
3. If they aren't available from Flathub I use an AppImage.
4. If they aren't available as AppImage I use the AUR.
5. If it's a proprietary application I use a Flatpak or Appimage.
6. If it's an application that requires 32 bit libraries I use a Flatpak or AppImage.
7. I avoid Snaps.

I'll work on this over the next several days and let you know it it goes.
Very good information and very helpful, guys, thanks!

Members online