Helsinki, we have a problem... It's Secure Boot.....! D:

Also, I think she's just nervous about trying something new..... :)

I may switch to Lenovo from now on. Though I still prefer system76
I have been using ThinkPads since when IBM was still making them. They have worked great for me, including the on I am typing on right now. The Keyboard layout has been the best I have seen on any laptop. The current one I use has changed slightly, but still great. I use Debian.

My wife has a Lenovo Yoga... but she won't let me try out Linux on it. I wonder why?!?! :rolleyes:

@blackneos940 -- what does lspci tell you about your sound and wifi? You might can find drivers on the web and manually install them.
Here ya go!..... :D

kubuntu@kubuntu:~$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation ValleyView SSA-CUnit (rev 0f)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation ValleyView Gen7 (rev 0f)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation ValleyView USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 0f)
00:1a.0 Encryption controller: Intel Corporation ValleyView SEC (rev 0f)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation ValleyView Power Control Unit (rev 0f)

I have been using ThinkPads since when IBM was still making them. They have worked great for me, including the on I am typing on right now. The Keyboard layout has been the best I have seen on any laptop. The current one I use has changed slightly, but still great. I use Debian.
I've wanted to try Debian for a while now, as an actual Install....... :D IBM, huh.....? I'll look into that....... :)

I've wanted to try Debian for a while now, as an actual Install....... :D IBM, huh.....? I'll look into that....... :)
Thinkpads were made by IBM until the sold the division to Lenovo. ThinkPads are all Lenovo now.

Well, I'm confused again. Your "lspci" report didn't show your sound or wifi. When I ran it on my netbook it showed them, and I was able to find a wifi driver that way. Now that you have it booting Kubuntu, I wonder if you could make some other distros boot also? As I mentioned earlier, I have had the best success so far with openSUSE, but your mileage may vary.

Southerner? LOL! Sort of. I'm from Indiana, but my parents were both from Alabama, and I spent a lot of time down there. I still visit a couple of times a year.

Well, I'm confused again. Your "lspci" report didn't show your sound or wifi. When I ran it on my netbook it showed them, and I was able to find a wifi driver that way. Now that you have it booting Kubuntu, I wonder if you could make some other distros boot also? As I mentioned earlier, I have had the best success so far with openSUSE, but your mileage may vary.

Southerner? LOL! Sort of. I'm from Indiana, but my parents were both from Alabama, and I spent a lot of time down there. I still visit a couple of times a year.

Well, I'll try openSUSE, since it's just a matter of repeating the commands..... :) Ah, so you grew UP in Indiana..... :) Man, when I was little, and saw the Movie called Twister, I ALWAYS though Indiana had a BUNCH of Tornadoes..... XD I'll let you know how the openSUSE thing works, once I get it ready..... :) So, do you guys get Tornadoes often in Indiana.....? :) One time, I saw a giant Red Moon in Ohio, and through some of Indiana I think, one time, on a trip..... : D

Yeah, like all of the midwest, we get a number of tornadoes every year, mostly in spring or early summer. I've never seen one, but the closest touchdown to my house was about 5 miles away. I hope you have some success with openSUSE... good luck!

They could techically be connected via internal USB conections. Try
Code:
lsusb

or install lshw and use that.

Yeah, like all of the midwest, we get a number of tornadoes every year, mostly in spring or early summer. I've never seen one, but the closest touchdown to my house was about 5 miles away. I hope you have some success with openSUSE... good luck!

I thought so..... :3 However, my Geography is a bit lacking, as I thought Indiana was more North-EAST..... :\ Blegh..... Anywho........ :3 Once I, once again, replace my Chromebook charger (with one that won't BREAK), I'll get to work on openSUSE..... I don't care WHAT Flavor of Linux it is, as long as I can get this thing up and RUNNING..... : D (Although, it WOULD be nice to use something other than *buntu, for a change.....) :\ Also, 5 miles is cutting it CLOSE.....! D: *makes Yao-Ming face*

They could techically be connected via internal USB conections. Try
Code:
lsusb

or install lshw and use that.

Hey, I just wanted to let you know that I'm booting up that Kubuntu USB and running that Command in a Minute..... :) BRB!..... ^^

Hello, i have the same computer. Fighting also to install linux but still maybe thinking to give it back, as the workaround is quite complicated as i am not experimented! Still wondering if wifi and sound are working for u now?

Hello, i have the same computer. Fighting also to install linux but still maybe thinking to give it back, as the workaround is quite complicated as i am not experimented! Still wondering if wifi and sound are working for u now?

Well, to be honest, I wiped the USB, thinking I could easily make another one..... :( Not so....... :( Do what you think is best..... :) My Dad got me that ASUS, so I just use my Chromebook with Chrome OS and Kubuntu, when I want my Linux fix..... :D Also, I kept Windows 8 on the ASUS, since a decent OS is more preferable to an OS that has no compatibility (CURRENTLY) with the Hardware's Wi-Fi and Sound components..... :\ Now, if I could get the installer to even RECOGNIZE the Drive that Windows is installed on, I might have installed it..... After all, everything worked in the LIVE CD environment, except for Wi-Fi, SD Card detection, and Sound..... This led me to think that the ASUS uses an SD Card for it's SSD..... :\

Also, welcome!!..... :D

Thank you , gives me an idea. Do you know if i refuse Windows 8 licence on Asus (there is such an option) , so i will not have any OS at all..is there a chance to install 32-bits ubuntu?..Or all this UEFI stuff doesnt depend on Windows but machine settings? Thank you!

Last edited:
Thank you , gives me an idea. Do you know if i refuse Windows 8 licence on Asus (there is such an option) , so i will not have any OS at all..is there a chance to install 32-bits ubuntu?..Or all this UEFI stuff doesnt depend on Windows but machine settings? Thank you!
Eh..... It's INCREDIBLY difficult to get it installed on their, from what I can see..... And it's almost not even WORTH it..... IF you can detect the internal Storage Media..... :\

Members online

Latest posts