Helsinki, we have a problem... It's Secure Boot.....! D:

B

blackneos940

So my Dad got me an Asus Notebook, specifically the X205T, and it's GOOD, but..... Well, at the recommendation of some employees at Best Buy, (and in their defense, they didn't know what I wanted to do with it, aside from use it), Dad got me it, but..... I can't disable Secure Boot!...... D: I go to the BIOS, which is made by American Megatrends, and is called Aptio Setup Utility..... All the options you might expect are there: Main, Advanced, Boot, Security, and Save & Exit..... Secure Boot is disabled, yet greyed out, and I can press ESC to bring up the boot options (Windows Boot Loader, as well as the USB with YUMI on it), and can even make it so Windows 8 lets me select either Windows or Ubuntu, when I go the route of WUBI.exe..... I'm at my wits end here, and I've tried things like enabling Legacy BIOS, or C-something Loader, but to no avail..... D: Man, first my Chromebook Charger, then the Surface RT, and now this..... :'( I just wanna use Linux again....... :'<

Thanks for any help, guys.....

Maybe you should ask LinuxDev21 on this Forum:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-news-discussion/463910-chromebooks-vs-asus-x205t.html

Each Staples store had a limited number of ASUS 205T units in stock. So those of us who arrived a few minutes early and stood in line were able to make their purchase. It's an amazing little PC. It comes with Windows 8, so that was immediately removed and replaced by my favourite Linux distribution

Have you also looked at?:
http://www.howtogeek.com/149254/if-...-8-and-secure-boot-can-i-still-install-linux/

Though the article refers to a different Asus system, I locate this on: TomsHardware.com,
Please enter the BIOS (press and hold F2 key when power on). Switch to “Boot” and set “Launch CSM” to Enabled. Then switch to “Security” and set “Secure Boot Control” to Disabled. Press F10 to save and exit. Press and hold ESC key to launch boot menu when notebook restart.
Good luck!

Disabling secure boot is a multi-step process. My former company would buy laptops from Bestbuy, and install their own Tinycore-based system on it. You've got to boot from poweroff, go into bios, change some setting, do a reboot, go back into bios, change some more settings that magically become available, then finally reboot into the installer (using either flashdrive or cd).

I'd go and look up the exact steps, but the suckers dumped me in July in favor of a younger (i.e. cheaper) guy.

Disabling secure boot is a multi-step process. My former company would buy laptops from Bestbuy, and install their own Tinycore-based system on it. You've got to boot from poweroff, go into bios, change some setting, do a reboot, go back into bios, change some more settings that magically become available, then finally reboot into the installer (using either flashdrive or cd).

I'd go and look up the exact steps, but the suckers dumped me in July in favor of a younger (i.e. cheaper) guy.
I'm sorry about what happened to you..... :( That's why I will NEVER get a job at a Dilbert company..... :\ As for the BIOS, I got it to accept my Chrome OS USB with GRUB 2 on it, so I'm making some headway..... :) How do I make a USB with GRUB 2 on it.....? :3 Thank you, dear sir!..... :3

UEFI enabled BIOS is an abomination. Every manufacturer implements it differently. Some Linux distributions seem to be able to install with Secure Boot turned on, but others can't. I have only fought this battle a couple of times myself, and it hasn't been easy any time.

Have you disabled Secure Boot yet? One thing I read about a different model Asus was that the BIOS password had to be set first, and then it was possible to disable Secure Boot. I don't know if that will help in your case or not.

Keep after it.... you will get it. Good luck!

Well, it says I disabled Secure Boot, but I still can't boot from any USB (though, as I mentioned earlier, it DOES recognize GRUB 2..... :D) I dunno..... I got Tiny Core to install in VirtualBox, and tried to install Fedora in there, but..... Well, I'm trying to get Ubuntu x86 to install, and I SUCK at Programming (even though non-Geeks think I'm a genius....... XD) so trying to manually install GRUB 2 is OUT..... :( I dunno..... I DO know why people hate Secure Boot..... Oh, and I got a Trojan on the second day of running Windows 8.1, WITH an AV installed..... D:

Not sure how you see GRUB if you are not booting on your USB?

Another BIOS item to search for is "Legacy Boot"... enable that if you can find it.

If by Ubuntu "x86" you mean the 32-bit... that could be your problem. I'm pretty sure you need the 64-bit Ubuntu to be successful.

You've probably seen this page, but it wasn't linked above and it is a good resource for these problems: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

To make a bootable USB, there's a program that will do it for you, unetbootin it's name. I forget the procedure, but it's how I set up the install flash drives we used. Essentially, you'll point unetbootin to an ISO image of what you want on the flash drive, and at the flash drive, and let it churn. Grub is not essential to this process, because unetbootin will write the necessary software for getting things going.

The other option is to get a cheap external CD/DVD, and use that if you don't have an internal. This presumes that you don't have an internal optical disc drive.

To make a bootable USB, there's a program that will do it for you, unetbootin it's name. I forget the procedure, but it's how I set up the install flash drives we used. Essentially, you'll point unetbootin to an ISO image of what you want on the flash drive, and at the flash drive, and let it churn. Grub is not essential to this process, because unetbootin will write the necessary software for getting things going.

The other option is to get a cheap external CD/DVD, and use that if you don't have an internal. This presumes that you don't have an internal optical disc drive.

I did make a USB with Unetbootin..... :) But I got my Chromebook Charger in the Mail, so I can use Linux again, aside from in VirtualBox..... :) 'Course, I STILL want to figure out how to get the Asus to recognize the Unetbootin-made USB....... :\ Hmmm..... Windows 8.1 is 32-bit, so maybe I'll try a i386 Ubuntu ISO.....?? :3

If you've ever booted that thing into Windows, you may need to do a windows reinstall, or factory restore, or whatever it's called.

If you've ever booted that thing into Windows, you may need to do a windows reinstall, or factory restore, or whatever it's called.
Oh no, I meant that since Windows 8.1 is 32-bit, I may need an appropriate ISO for that Architecture..... XD

Not sure how you see GRUB if you are not booting on your USB?

Another BIOS item to search for is "Legacy Boot"... enable that if you can find it.

If by Ubuntu "x86" you mean the 32-bit... that could be your problem. I'm pretty sure you need the 64-bit Ubuntu to be successful.

You've probably seen this page, but it wasn't linked above and it is a good resource for these problems: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI
Well, to be specific, it was my Chrome OS recovery USB, which had GRUB 2 on it..... :) The BIOS wasn't able to boot into Chrome OS recovery mode (or installation, in this case), but the BIOS WAS able to recognize and load the GRUB 2 Bootloader screen..... :3

The reason why I want to try the x86 Version of Ubuntu is because my Asus Processor is 32-bit..... :)

I'll check the link out though, and let you know if anything changes on my end..... Thank you, good sir....... :3

I'm downloadin' the ISO now..... :3 I may try to install it via EFI..... :) Wish me Luck..... :)

Ah, you may be on to something. Good luck!

If your CPU is 32-bit, then you MUST run 32-bit Linux. If your CPU is 64-bit, you can run either 32- or 64-bit Linux. If you have more than 4 GB of RAM, you would need to consider something called PAE also, but I guess that isn't likely on a Chromebook.

Again, Good Luck!

Ah, you may be on to something. Good luck!

If your CPU is 32-bit, then you MUST run 32-bit Linux. If your CPU is 64-bit, you can run either 32- or 64-bit Linux. If you have more than 4 GB of RAM, you would need to consider something called PAE also, but I guess that isn't likely on a Chromebook.

Again, Good Luck!
Actually, it's an Asus..... :D I'm on my Chromebook right now, in Xubuntu..... :3

Hang in there. I'm fighting the same battle right now too, on an HP netbook. I've managed to get a couple of distros to install, but there are issues that still are not letting Linux run properly on this hardware (freezes on boot and shutdown/restart).

I still kind of think that you have a BIOS setting you haven't set right yet. The "launch CSM" mentioned above is the Asus version of "Legacy boot," I think. So it will probably have to be enabled, and Secure boot disabled. Other things to turn off in BIOS are quick boot, or fast boot, if you see that. Did you enable BIOS password? That was an Asus-specific tip that was necessary before some of the other BIOS settings could be changed, but it may not apply to your particular model Asus.

On my HP, after I enabled Legacy boot, it gave me a separate selection for Boot Order in Legacy mode versus EFI mode... so I moved the CDROM and USB boot options to the top of the list so the hard drive didn't get to boot first.

It's almost enough trouble to make me use Windows again.

Nah! :D