Help me please I beg

Nicolas Castellanos

Reaction score
Credits
There were two empty spaces in the partitions and one with my personal data between them. I was moving the data partition to the end of the sectors but it got interrupted in the middle and shit, now it doesn't detect it correctly. I need to repair it, it is the only copy I have of my 60GB of data, please, I know there must be a solution, please help me for what you want most in this life. I can NOT lose the data that I have there. THEY ARE VERY IMPORTANT TO ME

There were two empty spaces in the partitions and one with my personal data between them. I was moving the data partition to the end of the sectors but it got interrupted in the middle and shit, now it doesn't detect it correctly. I need to repair it, it is the only copy I have of my 60GB of data, please, I know there must be a solution, please help me for what you want most in this life. I can NOT lose the data that I have there. THEY ARE VERY IMPORTANT TO ME

Don't know what you did or what issue you have but first thought is to boot into the machine using a bootable Linux USB or CD and recover your data that way. Then reformat the disk.

I am on live usb, I was moving the partition to the end to make the right partitions and install KDE Neon.
1643679946482.png

The selected partition is the one with my data. Its name was Datos, and it was NFTS. Under that partition, there was another unallocated space, so I moved it before the NFTS, and it was moving the sectors but it failed, so I had to restart the computer again from the usb, and that was what I saw...

G'day Nicolas, Welcome to Linux.org

I guess if you had a backup of this data, we would not be having this conversation.

If you do manage to get it back by some miracle....Please.....take a backup !!!!!!!....store it on an external hard drive.

Are you really 15 years of age ?....Unusual for a teenager to have that much data

The less fiddling around you do with that drive, possibly the better your chances are of retrieving the data.

Be patient

Wait for someone with expertise in that area.

Okay. I was going to make backup, I always do. My data is mainly photos and videos of my phone, and I am learning programming since 2020, so ALL of my history on programming is there. And many other things of my life history too. Sounds pretty strange, but they are important files to me. Thank you if you can help me, if not, I dont really know what will I do. Everything should gone fine, that error was unspected. Literally, it was fine, I think about 40% finished, and then black screen executing some commands to solve an unknown error. Help me!

G'day Nicolas.

In that last screenshot you have an error with the command. You have to specify the device properly.

Try the following

Code:
sudo mount /dev/sda4 /mnt
cd /mnt
ls

That last command is l for Lima, s for Sierra - it means to list files and folders contained there.

If you get an output there, perhaps show us a screenshot.

Do I take it correctly that the 60GB valuable data is all contained in Downloads? And you said it is in NTFS.

While you are in the mounted environment, you can issue the command

Code:
du -ah /mnt/Downloads

When that has completed, there will be a human readable figure at bottom left that might say 60G - write that exact figure down.

Next is to see if the partition /dev/sda4 is intact and working OK, if so you can get the data from it.

First we have to leave the mounted environment.

Code:
cd ~
sudo umount /mnt

Even though we are unmounting, the word is umount.

Now we want to run a program that will check that file system for errors and if found, fix them. Under a Linux environment we would usually use

fsck

but we can't with the NTFS so it will need something like

ntfsfix

which means installing, in your Live session

ntfsprogs

BUT (and Wizard's but is seldom far behind him), you may wish to transfer and safeguard the data first and then check it, so depending on the size identified with that

du -ah

command above, maybe get yourself a 64 GB USB stick or similar, and transfer it.

See how you go.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

I would do an Imagebackup of the disk NOW! If you mess up the data recovery you can start from scratch without worrying. If I understand correctly the partition moving was interrupted. I was able to recover Harddrives like this with testdisk ( https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk ). Make a backup and run testdisk on sda4.
Best case it discovers the old partition table, restores it with one keystroke and all data is there again.

Did you make an image backup?
Pretty sure you need to select Intel/Efi as partition type.

On the last screenshot press enter to proceed or p to verify if these are the files you need.

It says the file system is damaged.
I am analyzing with Intel selected. It didnt find any partition, so I selected deep scan

If there is another way where you can recovery at least the photos and videos, tell me please, photos and videos are the most important files, *without counting my codes..*

It says the file system is damaged.
I am analyzing with Intel selected. It didnt find any partition, so I selected deep scan
I dont know then, maybe someone else has an idea.

Theres also photorec for recovering files. -Don't recover on the same drive!-

IT WORKEEEEED WITH PHOTO RECCCC THAAAAAANKS
But I still feel bad for my codes. Anyway, I loved my pet too much, and 15GB of that data are photos and videos of her, she died on october the last year, and most of the other data are photos and videos, the only important data that is not, are the codes. Thank you for helping me...

I found an old copy of my data from a few months ago, I can see what I can recovery and then I put both data on the same place

IT WORKEEEEED WITH PHOTO RECCCC THAAAAAANKS
But I still feel bad for my codes. Anyway, I loved my pet too much, and 15GB of that data are photos and videos of her, she died on october the last year, and most of the other data are photos and videos, the only important data that is not, are the codes. Thank you for helping me...
Hope you learnt a lesson from this. From now on, use a backup drive or encrypt your data and upload it in a cloud

This is a very good opportunity to learn the importance of backing up and backing up properly. (I still need to write that article.)

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts