Hello, there.

Sophia_R

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, I am Sophia. I want to learn more about this website. I am an editor on Wikipedia and many game-related wikis (cough, cough Inkipedia cough). I enjoy playing musical instruments and just sitting on the floor and blasting music while I edit. I hope my username isn't too personally revealing because I didn't feel like using my Wiki username. Hah, anyways, nice to meet you guys. I will say, I'm not too sure what I can contribute, but I will try. :)

G'day @Sophia_R and welcome to linux.org :)

I am from Australia, most of our Members are from USA but we also have Members from the UK, New Zealand, Europe and all over the place.

The site is about providing community help for people using GNU/Linux, which is an Operating System alternative to Windows and Macintosh and so on.

Have a browse around.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

G'day Sophia, Welcome to Linux.org...from another Australian

Ar you currently running any Linux OS ?

From my perspective, (user for approx 9 years, Linux Mint exclusively) a great deal can be learned simply by perusing the site...following 'how to install' topics and the like.

Give some thought to 'burning' a linux mint .iso file to a thumb drive and thereby making a bootable thumb drive.....with this you can boot your pc/laptop and get a "live" version running .....and get some idea of just how it looks/works/what it has/doesnt have etc etc.......and of course by doing so you will come to understand/mpre closely follow what the various members are talking about.

Doing this will not harm your current OS.

((DO NOT...double click on 'install linux mint' which you will find on the desktop of the "live" version.

Read the above link......it is a good link to get an idea of how it installs as a 'Live" version...without full installation

The link below can answer virtually any question you have. Try it.

Or, failing all of the above, just talk to the people here. They are friendly to a fault. :)

^ what they said.

Welcome
Linux is not windows, so expect a learning curve, doing some research before you start can be a double edge sward, it can put people off, who think it's too different to windows, or it can excite the little grey cells to learn more and give Linux a try.
With over 500 different desktop builds, it can be frighting, but it does mean you should find one that will work well on your kit, and that you like the look of.

Hello @Sophia_R,
Welcome to Linux.org forums, enjoy the journey and learning :)

Hi, I am Sophia. I want to learn more about this website. I am an editor on Wikipedia and many game-related wikis (cough, cough Inkipedia cough). I enjoy playing musical instruments and just sitting on the floor and blasting music while I edit. I hope my username isn't too personally revealing because I didn't feel like using my Wiki username. Hah, anyways, nice to meet you guys. I will say, I'm not too sure what I can contribute, but I will try. :)
Hi Sophia, welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the Forum.
m0135.gif

welcome.gif
Sophia. We always try to help where we can. The Linux journey can be as hard - or as easy - as you want to make it, but remember this:-

The long-standing rumour about Linux being hard to learn is nothing like as true today as it used to be. Gone are the hard-core "ubergeeks" who wanted to keep Linux as their private preserve; today, great strides have been made to present Linux as being just as 'user-friendly' as any other OS.

You don't have to interact with that big, scary thing called the terminal at ALL (if you don't want to). Many current users never go anywhere near it, but it remains because it's by far & away the easiest way to unleash the full potential of Linux.......and always will be.

Anyway; never be afraid to ask what may seem like a "dumb" question. The only truly "dumb" question is the one that you DON'T ask!

Have fun.

Mike. ;)

Members online