Hello fellow penguins!

Haui111

Reaction score
Credits
I have joined the cult a little over a year ago. Have been playing with the idea for some time and did network/windows admin work for 20 yrs on and off.

My current systems are:
  • Terra Miniserver G2 Xeon 1220V3 3,1 4 Core 4 Threads, 8 GB Ram, 8 TB Raid 1 - Ubuntu Server 22.04.2
  • Editing Rig - Dark Base Pro 900, Core i9 10920x, 12 core, 24 threads, 32 GB Ram - Ubuntu Desktop 22.10
I run 9 Docker containers for my home automation and convenience such as Plex, Home Assistance, Pihole, Nextcloud, Tig Stack, Heimdall.

My future plans are to use a reverse proxy, run a couple web servers and game servers on demand for me and my friends. I also write some code so setting up my own containers will come in handy as well. :)

Feel free to ask me anything. I also love to cooperate on stuff. Current projects are a discord bot and a Minecraft Server (slightly bigger, public).

Have a good one!

Willkommen
welcome to the forums, Linux is quite a bit different to Windows, How have you settled in?

Hello @Haui111,
Welcome to the Linux.org forum, enjoy! :)

G'day & Welcome.

Sorry, when I saw that, despite that fact that you likely already know & maybe have even planned your 'release-upgrade', but that release has already had it's EOL warning notices out (posted awhile in advance so people have time to plan their upgrade)

Hello, hello! Thank you for reminding me!

I in fact already have an upgrade planned. Actually, I installed 22.10 by mistake, listening to a former colleague.

Thanks again and have a nice day! :)

Willkommen
welcome to the forums, Linux is quite a bit different to Windows, How have you settled in?
Thanks a lot! I appreciate it!

Honestly, Linux is a lot less complicated than I thought. I ran Windows Server 2012r2 before and it was a mess. Linux is much less cluttered imho. Also, I learned in DOS since we didn't have enough money for a good computer so CLI is my friend. Being able to imagine something without a gui is a useful skill.

I'm pretty blown away by the sheer amount of info and tutorials on here. Pretty awkward I only stumbled in here now. Quick question: how much increase in members have you seen since r/ubuntu closed its gates?

Have a good one! :)

I'm pretty blown away by the sheer amount of info and tutorials on here.
That's down to the wide range of members and their particular specialities, personally I describe myself as a hardware and installation man [I never took to programming, tried it back in the days of hexi-dec hated it] but we have an eclectic mix, from basic experienced users, through hardened gamers to programmers and distribution developers,
Our sister site [as I call it] is run by our own @KGIII and also has a lot of information and basic tutorials for the newbie [linux-tips.us]
It's a bit late now for you, but my favourite saying is " Linux has a learning curve, don't panic, kick off your shoes, sit back, grab a beer, and enjoy the ride"

Welcome to the forums... although "penguin" is a word I like to use for a given Linux distro, not for an user of Linux. :)

This site isn't like any other in spurt of members signing up, and then about the same number asking for their accounts deleted and/or abandoning. Since December I have abandoned four sites like this one while not having been involved longer than three months in any one of them. One was a technical forum like this one but focused on one Linux distro. People were cool but otherwise too much "fanboism" within the distro base and silly arguments about which D.E. was better. Topped off with pictures of those garden guardians... please learn to tolerate.

EDIT: I'm sorry for the question which might require another topic, but how do you feel about playing games on a computer with business-class processor? (U.S.A. FCC Class A) I noticed one of your systems is a Xeon and I have found a couple of people bragging about it trying to do stuff like the desktop builders for the sake of applications which are heavy with the graphics processing.

Welcome aboard. :)

Welcome to the forums... although "penguin" is a word I like to use for a given Linux distro, not for an user of Linux. :)

This site isn't like any other in spurt of members signing up, and then about the same number asking for their accounts deleted and/or abandoning. Since December I have abandoned four sites like this one while not having been involved longer than three months in any one of them. One was a technical forum like this one but focused on one Linux distro. People were cool but otherwise too much "fanboism" within the distro base and silly arguments about which D.E. was better. Topped off with pictures of those garden guardians... please learn to tolerate.

EDIT: I'm sorry for the question which might require another topic, but how do you feel about playing games on a computer with business-class processor? (U.S.A. FCC Class A) I noticed one of your systems is a Xeon and I have found a couple of people bragging about it trying to do stuff like the desktop builders for the sake of applications which are heavy with the graphics processing.
Hi there! Well, technically I have no idea as the xeon actually only works as a server (a game server at times but never a client).

But otherwise I‘m open to the idea to use a server cpu in a gaming rig if that brings benefits. :)

Welcome aboard the USS Linux.

Hmm... We should name a ship Linux.

Welcome to the Forum.
m0135.gif

G'day and welcome :)

Welcome to Linux.org! There are some very good people here, and you can define "good" in many different ways.

Like @wendy-lebaron above, I came here from a technical forum that went bad, then I found Linux.org. Your assessment of Windows Server 2012r2 hit the mark. I have see it once or twice before. I am not an admin, but sometimes you have to step up where needed.

Welcome to Linux.org! There are some very good people here, and you can define "good" in many different ways.

Like @wendy-lebaron above, I came here from a technical forum that went bad, then I found Linux.org. Your assessment of Windows Server 2012r2 hit the mark. I have see it once or twice before. I am not an admin, but sometimes you have to step up where needed.
Can absolutely relate. I‘m a teamplayer as well and I need good community. I would leave any place that becomes toxic or pedantic. It’s people struggling for control and unable to reflect. But this place seems nice. Thanks for having me. :)

2012r2 is just sad imho. I wont bother with windows again if I dont have to. Lets see. Really looking forward to making some kind of swarm one day!

Have a good one.

Members online