Have DELL got it wrong choosing NVIDIA..?

Ziggi

Reaction score
Credits
Just had a quick check to see if Dell+SolidWorks were still together.? Found these old refurbs to save the planet :)

Seems like Dell still ship NVIDIA by choice for serious dynamic graphics – photorealistic rendering – Realview Materials etc…

Typical refurbished i7 CAD Laptop...

Dell Precision 5520 CAD Laptop: Core i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB, NVIDIA Graphics

CPU: Intel Core i7-6820HQ Quad Core Processor @2.70Ghz (TurboBoost up to 3.60Ghz, 8MB Cache)

GPU: NVIDIA Quadro M1200 (4GB VRAM) Graphics ;)

Or if you have some dosh….

CPU: Intel i7-12850HX 16-Core Processor @3.40GHz (24 Threads, up to 4.8Ghz TurboBoost, 8 performance cores/8 efficiency cores)

Display: 17.3" Full-HD IPS Display (1920x1080, Anti-Glare non touch)

GPU: NVIDIA RTX A3000 Dedicated Graphics (12GB)

https://www.greengreenstore.co.uk/c...mobile workstation&utm_content=Dell Precision

Perhaps someone should suggest to Dell that they have got it all wrong in the commercial world of CAD CAM which is of course Global :rolleyes: – where I too used to compete :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.autosportinternational.com/

Hey Petrol Heads and Performance Junkies of the world – grab or blag your tickets now..! Great if you can blag your way in on a trade day :)

You may still find my designs all over the exhibitor’s stands and main hall. Radical Motor Sport S1 etc :cool:

My first Motor Sport project came via the show from South America – Global indeed – both CAD and CAM were used on my old box back in 2000 onwards to successfully complete project on time. Some of my CAD-CAM went viral in engineering machining magazines :) But as ever you burn out...:mad:

I Stay away from Nvidia if possible. They can be a pain to get going on Linux. But have had them in the past working.
Situation hopefully is changing since Nvidia released their api to open source. But may take awhile for the drivers.
Good luck with them.

I've never had any issues with either Nvidia or AMD graphics cards under Linux, both work fine but sometimes Nvidia cards take a bit more effort to configure.

What are the odds in having three very fast and efficient, random, disparate computers all with NVIDIA graphics ALL working superbly with standard nouveau driver...? HP G60 - Dell E6420 - Home built CAD Workstation - All runing different Linux distro's - No Pain - No effort - Just Joy; every time I fire them up :cool:

Jeeeeez - :eek: Bye Folks :D Must dash out to buy a first ever lottery ticket :rolleyes:

ps check out my old toys here in the real world... :cool:

You're stupid if you expect the most recent Nvidia cards to work with opensource nouveau drivers, if you buy an Nvidia graphics card you install the proprietary drivers or else you just wasted a lot of money. Nvidia does provide an opensource driver now days since I have it in my list of option to install "nvidia-driver open". Let me rephrase that, their kernel module is opensourced.

I've had quite a bit of unfriendly Nvidia experiences and I've also had some unfriendly ATI Radeon experiences although just not as many.

Now to be fair most if not all of my graphics cards are older graphics cards which imo should still be supported in Linux they still are in Windows 10.

I've had the best results with all "Intel Inside" for my old Frankenstein desktops.

You're stupid if you expect the most recent Nvidia cards to work with opensource nouveau drivers,
All working great with nouveau mesa :rolleyes: :cool:
Is there any info that I can gather from my machines for you... :rolleyes:
Or will this do as video proof on lowly 3G Hp G60.. one is HD video.
This is an old computer Intel Core2 Duo T5800 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Core2 Merom built: 2006-09 - RAM: total: 2.92 GiB NVIDIA graphics - so let us see what happens under my AntiX-22 Full LXDE set-up :) Pick any of the three vids to view here on the imgur link – all roughly the same..

As predicted – No problem whatsoever. Even recording screencast video with all that going on. :cool:
Guess I must be stupid as I can do the same on all three NVIDIA nouveau computers...;)

Last edited:
@Ziggi
What model / type graphics adapters are in those computers.

The nouveau driver runs most things however when I open Google Earth the display freezes and locks up and requires a hard restart.

All working great with nouveau mesa :rolleyes: :cool:
Is there any info that I can gather from my machines for you... :rolleyes:
Or will this do as video proof on lowly 3G Hp G60.. one is HD video.
This is an old computer Intel Core2 Duo T5800 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Core2 Merom built: 2006-09 - RAM: total: 2.92
Guess I must be stupid as I can do the same on all three NVIDIA nouveau computers...;)
Try playing Doom Eternal or Cyberpunk 2077 with that.

Also it looks like your graphics card isn't new.
NVIDIA Quadro M1200 (4GB GDDR5) - LaptopMedia
laptopmedia.com › video-card › nvidia-quadro-m1200
Memory bandwidth; 80.19 GB/sec ; Released; Q1 2017 ; Power consumption; 32.5 W ; Cores; 640 ; Maximum frequency; 1150 MHz.
Released: Q1 2017
Memory bandwidth: 80.19 GB/sec
Memory Capacity: 4 GB

Not sure what an adapter is - but here goes quickly
For old HP using now -
Graphics:
Device-1: NVIDIA G98M [GeForce 9200M GS] driver: nouveau v: kernel
Device-2: Chicony Webcam type: USB driver: uvcvideo
Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.20.11 driver: X: loaded: modesetting
unloaded: fbdev,vesa gpu: nouveau resolution: 1366x768~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: NV98 v: 3.3 Mesa 20.3.5
For Dell E6420 and CAD Box see pictures below - if that is not what you need please let me know - Cheers
Latitude E6420.png
MX-Old-XPox-info-01.png

If your Nvidia card was actually new it wouldn't be able to pull of games and other modern heavy grahics stuff with the nouveau driver.
Code:
Graphics: 
  Device-1: NVIDIA GA102 [GeForce RTX 3090] driver: nvidia v: 520.56.06 
  Device-2: Logitech C920 PRO HD Webcam type: USB 
    driver: snd-usb-audio,uvcvideo 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.20.14 with: Xwayland v: 22.1.5 driver: X: 
    loaded: nvidia gpu: nvidia,nvidia-nvswitch resolution: 1: 2560x1440 
    2: 3840x2160 
  API: OpenGL v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 520.56.06 renderer: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 
    3090/PCIe/SSE2

These are the graphics adapters you are running.

Nvidia G96GL [Quadro FX 580]

Nvidia GF119M [NVS 4200M]

These will runn most stuff and stream most video Youtube etc.

Give this a try and see what happens these adapters may run online Google Earth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please refer back to Topic Title - Have DELL got it wrong choosing NVIDIA..?
Are you saying CAD - CAM ain't HEAVY graphics...
I do not want to waste my life playing games - I am 72
I was merely dispelling the myth about nouveau by giving examples of my usage :rolleyes:
The only time you can go wrong with drivers with Nvidia if you are planning on buying the most recent Nvidia graphics card and using Nouveau drivers with it. If I were to use the nouveau drivers on my system, most of my games would crash or be unplayable. I am about half your age younger so I do still like to play games sometimes besides studying/learning, working and the other things I got going on.

The thing about older PCs is that you're not really saving the environment by running them.

They're much less efficient than modern computers, so you're using more energy. In like a year of use, you'll have used enough additional energy to have been able to afford a refurbished unit that's far more efficient.

But, none of the computers I saw listed in this thread are really old enough to make that claim. While they're still less efficient, it's not so drastic as it would be if you were using something like a P4.

I mention this only 'cause some folks seem to think that keeping old stuff around is better for the environment. In many cases it is, but there are instances where that's not true. A great example is your water heater or even your washing machine (modern machines use a lot less water and electricity, for example). Old computers should be properly recycled. There's some good stuff in there, but you gotta find someone that really recycles and doesn't just ship it off to a third world country.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread...

I have Nvidia in my main desktop, never have any trouble with it. I also have a Dell XPS with a Nvidia/Intel hybrid
graphics setup. I have no problem with it either. I do wish I had more control over which side it uses.

You're stupid if you expect the most recent Nvidia cards to work with opensource nouveau drivers,

Well, I have a 2080 RTX and a 3060 Ti, they both "work" with Nouveau. I guess I should qualify "work" here.
On my desktop, the only Video I have is my discrete video card. On my laptop, it's a Intel/Nvidia hybrid setup.
I guess the idea is, for "low-power" graphics, it uses the Intel side to save energy. But switches over to the
Nvidia side when things get too intense for the Intel side. I don't seem to have any control over when it
switches, this appears to be totally automatic as far as I can tell.

I have a few different monitors. I have a 1024x768 60Hz monitor. I don't really notice a lot of difference
between the Nouveau driver and the Nvidia driver when I use this monitor.

However I also have a 2560x1440 165Hz monitor. When I use this monitor.. huge difference.
Talk about screen tearing and refresh rate differences. But for most "normal" tasks (whatever that is)
The nouveau driver is fine. ssh, word processing, browsing "most" sites, and coping files around.

But if I start watching streaming videos, or playing online games, or even some local games
(my grandson likes Minecraft and 0ad) then there is a noticeable difference. I always install the Nvidia
driver soon as possible, it's pretty easy ( at least in Fedora ). But there have been times I was forced
to use Nouveau ( my internet was down for over 24 hours once just after a new install ).

It "works", but not as good as the Nvidia driver.

1671046079395.png

Well, I have a 2080 RTX and a 3060 Ti, they both "work" with Nouveau. I guess I should qualify "work" here.
On my desktop, the only Video I have is my discrete video card. On my laptop, it's a Intel/Nvidia hybrid setup.
I guess the idea is, for "low-power" graphics, it uses the Intel side to save energy. But switches over to the
Nvidia side when things get too intense for the Intel side. I don't seem to have any control over when it
switches, this appears to be totally automatic as far as I can tell.

But if I start watching streaming videos, or playing online games, or even some local games
(my grandson likes Minecraft and 0ad) then there is a noticeable difference. I always install the Nvidia
driver soon as possible, it's pretty easy ( at least in Fedora ). But there have been times I was forced
to use Nouveau ( my internet was down for over 24 hours once just after a new install ).

It "works", but not as good as the Nvidia driver.
Exactly my point.
If I were to use the nouveau drivers on my system, most of my games would crash or be unplayable. I am about half your age younger so I do still like to play games sometimes besides studying/learning, working and the other things I got going on.

Last edited:
The thing about older PCs is that you're not really saving the environment by running them.

They're much less efficient than modern computers, so you're using more energy. In like a year of use, you'll have used enough additional energy to have been able to afford a refurbished unit that's far more efficient.
I wouldn't notice any change on my electric bill.

The highest electric bill I've ever had was maybe $100.00 we ain't got no central heat and air like most folks we just use simple window AC units.

In the winter gas bill is around $75.00 to $100.00 per month maybe varies depending on temperature.

We have blue flame stand up floor heaters that keep our house nice and warm.

We're simple folks and don't need no high tech high maintenance appliances that require regular expensive seasonal maintenance.

Every season I wash out the window air conditioners and blow out the dust from inside of the blue flame stand up floor heaters.

I mention this only 'cause some folks seem to think that keeping old stuff around is better for the environment. In many cases it is, but there are instances where that's not true. A great example is your water heater or even your washing machine (modern machines use a lot less water and electricity, for example).
I have a shelf full of 1 year old and 2 year old desktops and laptops that crapped out so I ain't impressed with new computers.

Some users are stupid and don't use any surge protection devices which could destroy a computer but most folks use surge protection devices.

Doubt what I say drive around the neighborhoods on big trash day and look at all of the flat screen TVs at the curb and other modern electronic appliances.

Old computers should be properly recycled. There's some good stuff in there, but you gotta find someone that really recycles and doesn't just ship it off to a third world country.
I scrap out what I can reuse in my Frankenstein computers and what's left becomes targets for the 357 magnum.

What's left from there which ain't much is tossed into the ridge along the river with the busted up rock and concrete the highway dept dumps there helps keep the ridge from washing away.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's left from there which ain't much is tossed into the ridge along the river with the busted up rock and concrete the highway dept dumps there helps keep the ridge from washing away.

I'm pretty sure that's littering. Pretty sure...

Members online

Latest posts