Going through ahrefs to find backlinks to my Linux Tips site and discovered this...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Click this link:

I'll ping @Rob as well.

That suggests Linux.org isn't using a virtual host (IP based hosting), or it's the default virtual host.

Actually, not long ago. I found a domain name that our company owns that didn't exist in our known portfolio that I was aware of. I found it hosted by a different name server and it was pointing at an old hosting provider that we clearly do not use.

Anyhow, I loaded up the hostname / URL and a recipe blog website came up. The owner of our company grabbed a recipe off the site before I reset the name server for the domain and parked it. lol I will have to ask her if the recipe was any good hah.

Is kg83.org your domain @KGIII?

'Snot my domain. I haven't got a thing to do with this. I just found it in my backlinks.

It could just be aliased. I suppose we could dig and see what we find, or we can wait to see if Rob pops in. It's easy enough to alias a 2nd domain to the 1st.

Nods, that's how we do some of our AWS test/prod server. It's named the production name, but it's aliased as the test subdomain.

I am just a mod, not even an admin. So, I've not go any clue about infrastructure. Like mentioned, we could probably do some digging and make a few educated guesses. A quick look says they're using different DNS settings, both from CloudFlare. I suppose it could also be a mirrored copy, but that seems a bit excessive and I don't see any redundancy benefits if nobody knows the second domain name.

The good news is that not knowing any of that stuff means I'm not obligated to fix it if/when it breaks!

Wow, that's interesting. It does seem to be an exact live mirror... down to the number of users and messages, and who is currently logged in... except that I can't see my "hidden login" there like I can here on this site (but it is still counting me).

Any possible chance that this doppelganger can capture login credentials? @dcbrown73, you seem to know how this works?

Last edited:
I strongly suspect it's a mirror or an alias (meaning it's the same server this is but a different address in the address bar). Maybe Rob bought the domain, hasn't had any use for it, and just parked it?

That said, I'd not login there until we know for certain. Well, you could try logging in with a fake password. If it whines about a bad password, it's probably one of the above - an alias or a mirror.

Also, what's odd is that it was a referrer to Linux Tips - so someone's gotta be using the domain, or at least visiting it and clicking links from it.

Well, you could try logging in with a fake password. If it whines about a bad password, it's probably one of the above - an alias or a mirror.
FYI: It does indeed complain... "incorrect password." Further, it will accept the correct password too, but then it switches to the real linux.org.... but the real site does NOT show me logged in. I have to go back to kg83.org and I see myself logged in there, and I logout. After logout, I am again returned to the real linux.org.

That's enough risky experimenting for me. :oops:;)

Last edited:
You are living on the dark side there, Stan !!!

Yeah, it's probably aliased to linux.org - perhaps a domain name they purchased and had no use for but may someday be valuable.

Short original TLDs are valuable.

Heck, with speculation, even short TLDs from the newer options are sometimes valuable. A 4 character .org domain name (even if it isn't a real word) is likely worth a pretty penny.

Staff online

Latest posts