Getting started with an open source setup: Computer choice, linux OS, word processor etc?

A

asterwood

Hello everyone, I'm in the very first stages of making the switch from mostly Google and Android to open source alternatives. Recently, my computer shut down and since I need to get a new one I'm considering making the switch in the same breath.

Now, the computer I've got my eye on is the Acer Swift 3. I've googled around a bit, and I think I'd like to try out Ubuntu OS or Manjaro.

• Does the Acer Swift 3 seem like a decent alternative? I'm not exactly flush with cash, and I need a small computer that I can easily carry around with me.
  • How exactly do you switch OS? Everything comes with Windows preinstalled, and is there any computer that doesn't? I keep seeing something about needing a USB stick?
  • And does anyone, by chance, know of a good online word processor? I've been using Google docs for ages, because I feel comfy about all my projects still being there even if my computer crashes, but all the open source word processors seem to be applications/local stuff without the cloud feature.

Very grateful for help! Incredibly new to all of this, talk to me like I'm a five year old here

Does the Acer Swift 3 seem like a decent alternative
Looking at the specs, its a reasonably cheap but just above entry level, you may get a better slightly higher spec buying a re-furbished 3-5 yr old dell or Lenovo [something like this is ideal for general computing ]

Dell Latitude 7280 Intel Core i7-7600U 8GB DDR4 256GB SSD Laptop 12.5" HD​

How exactly do you switch OS? Everything comes with Windows preinstalled,
Provided you do not buy a Chromebook [they are not so easy to change] most laptops made for windows it is a simple operation
and yes you will need a USB of reasonably good quality and minimum 8gb
Very grateful for help! Incredibly new to all of this, talk to me like I'm a five year old here
Sorry I don't even speak to children this way but if necessary, if you do not understand anything I have said, just ask, I have kept the technobabble to a minimum

If you have not already, please read

Last edited:
And does anyone, by chance, know of a good online word processor? I've been using Google docs for ages, because I feel comfy about all my projects still being there even if my computer crashes, but all the open source word processors seem to be applications/local stuff without the cloud feature.
Google Docs is an on-line application and as such I would expect it to work [Disclaimer, I don't use/store anything online personally]

Google Docs is an on-line application and as such I would expect it to work [Disclaimer, I don't use/store anything online personally]
I also expect it to work, but I'd rather not use it, haha. The recent steps Google is taking has me reconsidering all the products of theirs I've been using.

Looking at the specs, its a reasonably cheap but just above entry level, you may get a better slightly higher spec buying a re-furbished 3-5 yr old dell or Lenovo [something like this is ideal for general computing ]

Dell Latitude 7280 Intel Core i7-7600U 8GB DDR4 256GB SSD Laptop 12.5" HD​

Provided you do not buy a Chromebook [they are not so easy to change] most laptops made for windows it is a simple operation
and yes you will need a USB of reasonably good quality and minimum 8gb

Sorry I don't even speak to children this way but if necessary, if you do not understand anything I have said, just ask, I have kept the technobabble to a minimum

If you have not already, please read
Thank you so much <3 I appreciate it. For me, it's also about design; I just like the look of the Swift, and wanted to double check that it's a decent alternative for a Linux OS.

The recent steps Google is taking has me reconsidering all the products of theirs I've been using.
you're not the only one. If you Goog [oops sorry] search with your favourite engine for online word processors you may find a few.

You will learn to keep back ups of your personal data, so just use a normal setup, & make those backups fairly regularly. ;)

Regarding alternatives to Google Docs, you could check this comparison page (I've just found it doing an online search):

But please to take into account that: The main benefit of using an online document editor is the fact that the company providing the service will take care of all the backups and the availability of the servers. The disadvantages, of course, are that they have access to all your online documents, they monetize them (for example by training LLMs on it), and they can discontinue the service "anytime".
On the other side, the disadvantage of using open-source online editors is that you will either:
1) need your own server that you manage and install software and keep it updated (unlikely, since you mentioned that you are a beginner); or
2) use an open-source server instance managed by someone else --> This takes us back to the above mentioned disadvantages of having to trust the person or organization behind that hosted server/service.

Recently I've also found a suite of encrypted and privacy-focused online services called Skiff, which provide email, docs, calendar, and a few other things. You might want to check them out as an alternative to gmail and google docs. They are not really open-source (only partially, some parts of the client software, but not the server-side software that they use). But they do seem to be promoting the privacy of your data, and are against the monetization of your data.
As someone else already mentioned above: It's always good to learn to keep some backups of your data, to not rely on only one service/company/organization.

Thank you both. I've kind of closed my eyes to the machinations of cloud services in a desperate attempt to not have to make a decision, but I guess it's time to deal with it. I think for me, since I'm primarily a writer, it's mostly convenience. Being able to access my document at all times, and trusting that it's backed up, even if something else fails me. But I guess that if I want companies to do that service for me, I need to accept that there's a hidden cost that comes with that.

You don't have to use an "online" editor. You can use any local editor and still save your files in the cloud if you want to.
(Yes, it's still cost based for that part)

Members online