games emulators and roms

smallville1979

Reaction score
Credits
so maybe if I get time? I would like to pay mario, zelda, star trek etc.
Is there any emulator. can I get any of these games that dont work for ubuntu?
I am using lubuntu.

If its pretty much impossible I would just buy a switch lite MAYEBE. If I did get any time to game.
I dont even have torrent and no idea how to install and run.

I have a large collection of old consoles and games. And I have downloaded ROMs for some of my favourite NES, SNES and N64 games (ones that I own) and do play them on Linux from time to time.

There are emulators for pretty much every old console. Mupen64plus is a good emulator for N64. There’s one called higan, for the NES, SNES and game boy consoles. Both are in the standard software repositories for most Linux distro's.

Then there’s MAME, for playing old arcade machine ROMs. There are plenty of other emulators for other consoles (PlayStation, wii, Sega Megadrive etc) , but I can’t remember the names of all of the emu’s!

Downloading ROMs is a bit of a legal grey area though. Many of them are considered abandonware. There are sites you can download them from (you’ll have to search for them yourself). But you should only download ROMs of games you actually own original copies of. And even then, you’re on shaky legal ground.

Last edited:
I don't like saying what I'm gonna say, but I'm obligated to say it...

Don't worry! I'll be gentle!

The legality of ROMs is in question, at least here in the US. I suspect that the law allows you to make a backup of a game you own, just like you can with other copyrighted material.

So, we're all going to insist/assume that we own these games legitimately and we're only talking about ROMs for games which we own.

Got it?

We here at Linux.org do not condone piracy nor assist with piracy efforts. So, do make sure you own legitimate copies of the games before you download them or share them. This is especially true for those hard-to-find games that are impossible to find copies of today and those games that have too diverse an ownership to ever get legal means to replay them!

Other than that, carry on with the thread... ;)

The legality of ROMs is in question, at least here in the US. I suspect that the law allows you to make a backup of a game you own, just like you can with other copyrighted material.

I'm not sure why you quoted me. I'm reasonably certain that emulators are 100% legal.

It's the sharing of ROMs that cross the copyright barrier.

So long as that's not a part of the discussion, I have zero qualms with the thread. My post is just a friendly reminder to keep it to the technical and not about the acquisition of said ROM files. :)

Other than that, have fun!

I'm not sure why you quoted me. I'm reasonably certain that emulators are 100% legal.

It's the sharing of ROMs that cross the copyright barrier.
I quoted you to show that even Emulators highlight that you have to download your games from a Nintendo Switched already owned by you.

I quoted you to show that even Emulators highlight that you have to download your games from a Nintendo Switched already owned by you.

Ah, that's not going to change anything. To make it nice and clear, the thread is just fine so long as we don't delve into the specifics about game acquisition. Other than that, you're all good.

We've just got to gloss over things like where to get them and we're going to assume that folks discussing specific games are legally entitled to have copies of those games. (See the first post, where they ask about specific games. That's what I'm responding to.)

dont even know how to open a tar!

Assuming you're talking about a file ending with .tar, a search engine will explain it all - though you probably just click on the file and your built-in archiving utility (usually file-roller) will open it in a simple enough GUI.

But, you can manage .tar files in the terminal as well.

As you're new, I'd suggest the GUI. I love the terminal a great deal, but this sort of thing will be easier for you if you just use a graphical application.

struggling with lubuntu doing all command line anyways.

Lubuntu is my jam. In fact, I'm an official member - on the team that brings you Lubuntu.

You're going to have to be more specific. I want to share a link with you:

still learning am slow!

That's okay. Be patient and learn as much as you can.

Every single person on this forum was once a newbie who knew nothing about computers. That's true for all of us. At one point, we all knew nothing about computers.

so if u use discover its dead easy to install an emulator on lubuntu. my next mission is finding roms.

Staff online

Members online