Forgot my root password

kishor92

Reaction score
Credits
Hello!!
I forgot my root password. I am using Alt Linux (kernel 2.4). What is the way to reset my root password?

You'll need an Ubuntu (or similar) live .iso written to USB or DVD.

Follow this:

Scroll down to the "Reset" option and follow those directions. That *should* work.

Hello!!
I forgot my root password. I am using Alt Linux (kernel 2.4). What is the way to reset my root password?
If you follow the instructions at the link KGill provided you shouldn't need a live iso since you can access the installation from grub as it indicates. It's the standard way of getting the job done. If it fails, then a live iso could be an alternative.

If you follow the instructions at the link KGill provided you shouldn't need a live iso since you can access the installation from grub as it indicates. It's the standard way of getting the job done. If it fails, then a live iso could be an alternative.

Right. I was thinking the recovery mode still had the same users/passwords as the real system had. I swear that was the case at one point! Though, it could easily be my faulty memory. I find that whole faulty memory thing to happen more often as I age, but that's a deep topic for another thread.

I am using Alt Linux (kernel 2.4)

G'day @kishor92 and welcome to linux.org.

I can't believe that you are using 2.4, its end of life was over 10 years ago.

Could you please give us the output from

Code:
uname -r

For the benefit of the readers, ALT Linux is based on the long defunct RPM-based distro, Mandrake.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Members online

Latest posts