For all "GETTING STARTED" people.......

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits
I copied and pasted this here from Reddit.com

Just one person's journey/thoughts

I just wanted to say thank you to all of the people that make Linux/Linux Mint possible.
I've been a Microsoft user since the days of DOS, but Windows 11...I just couldn't take it anymore. I switched my two computers to Linux Mint and, despite some install troubles on my Ryzen machine, I couldn't be happier. Happy enough that I made a donation today to Linux Mint and Libre Office.
There is a lot to learn with Linux, because I've only used it off and on over the years, but it's nothing a few searches can't solve. For the few Windows apps I wanted, I've put them in Bottles and it's working just fine. Even installed a few games.
Some of the big initial wins. My Pi-hole is now registering less than half the number of requests because Windows/Office is no longer trying to contact the mother ship. That's a reduction of over 30,000 requests a day. My laptop, a Lenovo ThinkBook, now sips battery. The other day I got at least 8 hours of life out of it. On Windows I'd be lucky to get 4 hours.
I always shunned Linux because I just didn't understand. But now I get it. I think the Linux community could benefit from some cohesion to gain wider traction, but that we have this option is pretty amazing.
So again, my hat goes off to all of the men and women around the world that give Linux and all its distros life so that we have a legitimate alternative to the big names. Be proud of what you do.

Good on ya for making donations. I think I've donated to Debian three times now and once to timeshift. It's the least we can do to say thank you to the folks that make Linux possible. It's wonderful to have an alternative to Windoze. Carry on and enjoy your Linux.

--glenn

I'm only skeptical about the battery life he mentioned compared to Windows, I thought that it was the other way around. Except if we got any new upgrades on that matter

I like donating. In some cases, I'm donating my time. If folks knew what I'd charge to work for an hour, that'd be a pretty impressive donation!

Good on ya for making donations.

I believe they're quoting someone who donated.

I'm only skeptical about the battery life he mentioned compared to Windows, I thought that it was the other way around. Except if we got any new upgrades on that matter

This is true. They're likely confused or mistaken. Windows has much better power management and that's because the OEMs optimize for Windows. It's not something special (I don't think), it's that they optimize charge times and run times for Windows power management.

No OEM is going to do that for 4% (at best) of the market, especially considering the trend of people moving to mobile phones.

Last edited:
I got 8 1/2 hours battery on my HP Envy 15-fh0xxx laptop and it was only down to 20%. I'm not going to run Windoze for hours just to see what the battery life is, It just don't matter cause I don't run Windoze.

--glenn

Last edited:
I got 8 1/2 hours battery on my HP Envy 15-fh0xxx laptop and it was only down to 20%.

That's about what I get with my most recent toy. I could probably do better, but I can't adjust the brightness in a trivial manner.

Like you, I haven't got a clue how long it goes with Windows - but I do know (from reading multiple reports/complaints) that we get less battery life than we'd get with Windows. The amount seems to vary. Some folks claim it's as much as 50% on their devices.

My 8-ish hours are with a video playing. So, I can play on YouTube for about 8 hours before the device needs to be recharged. I'll take it.

Yes, Linux is the best.
m1212.gif

My Laptop battery is 12 years old and works just fine if it's plugged in to the wall.
m0103.gif