File permissions (context of Zaloha bash script)

Niftyprose

Reaction score
Credits
Hello guys, I will apologize in case this one makes anyone groan. I'm a long-term computer user with some systems management experience, but will confess that Linux/Unix file permissions confuse me. I have a very specific issue which I suspect indicates a basic failure of understanding. If anyone is patient enough to explain, I will be extremely grateful.

Here's the context. I am the sole user of two near-identical computers, both running BunsenLabs. I have a 30Gb USB stick drive. I installed the Zaloha bash-based backup utility in /usr/local/bin on PC#1 with a wrapper script called backupto.sh which prompts Zaloha to back up the entire Documents folder onto the stick drive, overwriting only the updated files. That works perfectly.

On PC#2 I have exactly the same installation, except with a different password and a wrapper script called backupfrom.sh which copies the contents of Documents from the flash drive to the hard disk. The idea is, of course, that, in the event of a failure of PC#1, I can transfer the flash drive, run backupfrom.sh and have an identical working environment up in minutes.

PC#2 is a new arrival. I ran backupfrom.sh last night to set up all my working directories and files, which worked fine. However, when I try to save new documents into the file hierarchy, I get warnings saying that I don't have permission to write into those locations. Presumably Zaloha is running with the wrong file permissions. I can of course change the file permissions on the Documents folder hierarchy manually, as it were, but I'd rather understand why Zaloha didn't set up appropriate permissions in the first place.

TIA, NP.

Members online