Fedora on a Mac.

dos2unix

Reaction score
Credits

I helped a friend install this today. He already had an older version on his mac, so it was a lot easier this time.
I am impressed. If I had a Mac this is definitely the distro I would run.

Everything works out of the box, sound, video, network, Wi-Fi, the camera, and it's pretty fast.
KDE Plasma and Gnome 46 are really the only desktop options, so if you don't like that this may not be for you, but
it has a smoothness to it that's hard to explain. I've always liked the way to Apple mice work.

It's not the button clicks so much, but rather the way the cursor guides with a more controlled feel.
You don't have to worry about video or Wi-Fi drivers, it's all taken care of for you.

I have a pretty good video card and monitor setup on my Linux system, but the Apple screen just looks better.
The colors look more vivid, and sharper.

Other than that, it's just Linux. It's no different from my x86_64 system. But I have to say, if I was rich
like @KGIII , and @wizardfromoz , this would make me consider buying a Mac.

I helped a friend install this today. He already had an older version on his mac, so it was a lot easier this time.
I am impressed. If I had a Mac this is definitely the distro I would run.

Everything works out of the box, sound, video, network, Wi-Fi, the camera, and it's pretty fast.
KDE Plasma and Gnome 46 are really the only desktop options, so if you don't like that this may not be for you, but
it has a smoothness to it that's hard to explain. I've always liked the way to Apple mice work.

It's not the button clicks so much, but rather the way the cursor guides with a more controlled feel.
You don't have to worry about video or Wi-Fi drivers, it's all taken care of for you.

I have a pretty good video card and monitor setup on my Linux system, but the Apple screen just looks better.
The colors look more vivid, and sharper.

Other than that, it's just Linux. It's no different from my x86_64 system. But I have to say, if I was rich
Does it have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse? When I installed Mint on a Mac that was the hardest part to get working. Other than that it was awesome.

The one we used didn't have bluetooth keyboard/mouse, so I don't know how well it works.

I assume this is one of the new Macs with the M1, M2, or M3 CPU?

As much as I like the hardware, Apple is so anti-repair that I probably won't support them. Sure, I wasn't going to repair anything anyhow, but I don't really like how they've made it impossible to repair and upgrade their hardware.

f I was rich

(note to self - how on earth does he think that I am rich? lol)

I still have 38 and 39 on my Dell. 38's EOL is 23rd May, I believe, so when that is here, I will retire it and put on 40, I guess.

I use the Spins, because I prefer my Fedora in Cinnamon.

Cheers

Wiz

Attachments

• P28_moneytree.jpg
    P28_moneytree.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 29
I assume this is one of the new Macs with the M1, M2, or M3 CPU?

As much as I like the hardware, Apple is so anti-repair that I probably won't support them. Sure, I wasn't going to repair anything anyhow, but I don't really like how they've made it impossible to repair and upgrade their hardware.
I agree with you. I get apples in here and I have customers sign a waiver to pay extra parts. Specifically they no longer use magnetic mounts and screws to hold the 27 inch screen into the $3000 imacs. They now use strong 2 sided tape. The very finest in redneck engineering. This means there is a fairly good chance of breaking the $500 screen when it is removed. You have to remove the screen for anything from adding RAM to cleaning the fan and replacing parts. I show this to clients and they are appalled how apple is building systems now. It is so easy to break a screen this way if you are even the slightest bit off. Great for selling parts, bad for repair.

Sorry, had to add to your rant.

Sorry, had to add to your rant.

All good.

I figure equivalent CPUs will hit the market eventually, possibly ARM CPUs. Right now, I just can't find motivation to buy new devices. Things are 'fast enough' for me. In fact, the last system I purchased was a cheap refurb just to see if I could live with it. Sure enough, it's plenty fast for anything I do.

Wizards just wave their wands and say "abra cadabra" and money appears.

You are in serious trouble when I find my Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

I'm thinking about slapping this OS on my 2020 13-inch M1 Pro. I pretty much use it just for running the macOS beta's, but with UTM I can pretty much do that in a VM on my 16-inch M3 Max. It'd be a fun little project to see how it runs.