Welcome to Our Community

While Linux.org has been around for a while, we recently changed management and had to purge most of the content (including users). If you signed up before April 23rd please sign up again. Thanks!

Favorite Password Manager

Discussion in 'Linux Security' started by atanere, Jun 10, 2017.

?

What Password Manager do you use?

1. Pass

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. LastPass

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. KeePass

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. KeePassX

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  5. Password Safe

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  6. Universal Password Manager

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  7. Dashlane

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  8. Encryptr

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. EnPass

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  10. Password Gorilla

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. atanere

atanere Moderator
    Gold Supporter

You can't have too much security these days. After years of using a little notebook to record much-too-simple passwords, I realized the time had finally come to choose a password manager. But there are many to choose from, even in the Linux world, and we all have different needs. For me, I did NOT want to sync passwords with my phone or the cloud, but I did need to share with my wife and her Windows computer.

I chose the portable Windows edition of KeePass Password Safe. I keep the master copy on my Linux box, but I also keep 2 USB backups, one of which my wife uses to access the program. This Windows edition needs some Mono packages (not Wine) to run in Linux or Mac, but there are native Linux packages available for KeePass and also KeePassX (a variant of the original).

So what do you use? Any special pros or cons that you've discovered? Any others not in the poll, please list in the comments. Thanks!

2. Rob

Rob Administrator
    Staff Member

I voted keepassx but currently use 1password most of the time..

atanere likes this.
  3. JasKinasis

JasKinasis Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heh heh, sorry - couldn't resist.
    I keep all of my passwords in my head..... If I ever forget them, that's what the 'reset password' link is for!

atanere and Rob like this.
  4. atanere

atanere Moderator
    Gold Supporter

Yes, 1password is another popular one. But I discovered the poll limits selections to 10. :D

5. atanere

atanere Moderator
    Gold Supporter

My head doesn't work that well! :confused::eek::D But I've also read about the Diceware passphrase which looks like a very good way to create easy-to-remember but hard-to-break passphrases instead of the more typical passwords (uppercase, lowercase, numbers, special characters, etc). But even with Diceware, my problem remains and I have too many places I visit that need login credentials, and I don't want to re-use any, so I can't remember that many phrases. (And a password reset would also be as much or more trouble for me, I think.)

6. Rob

Rob Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm actually looking to switch from 1password since they only have the web version for linux which is a pain.. handy in android though.

atanere likes this.