Fast distro

jar1

Reaction score
Credits
Hi
I just tested puppy linux but it doesn't seem to have option to install it on Hard disk drive? I would want distro that can be installed. i also tried Arch linux but didn't really know how to install it. I tried lubuntu as well but it wasn't fast enough for my old laptop.

so is there any other fast distros I can try?

thx!

Last edited:

but it doesn't seem to have option to install it on disc
Ok, what disc are you thinking of, a CD is only 700mb you can install Linux to one, but you won't have persistence [any work you do will need to be saved to another source,] I can only think of 3 that will fit
One of the puppy family.

Porteus

Tiny core [doesn't come with Wi-Fi drivers and you will need to be online [hardwired to the router] to install any application you want/need

there are a few more that will fit on a DVD, But most fully fledged desktop Linux require between 12 & 20 GB

Due to the read speed of an optical drive nothing is going to be very fast, if you have a SD card slot then a CL10 SD card will be considerably faster, a usb drive faster still.

Tell us what you are trying to achieve and what the make /model/age of the computer is

Ok, what disc are you thinking of, a CD is only 700mb you can install Linux to one, but you won't have persistence [any work you do will need to be saved to another source,] I can only think of 3 that will fit
One of the puppy family.

sorry I was thinking of Hard disk drive

playing with antiX now and it seems very nice. Could be faster though and booting is kinda slow

Could be faster though and booting is kinda slow
Have you installed, or are you still running it from USB drive?

OK, so it a 2012/3 vintage bargain-basement [entry level] laptop with an AMD E2-1800 processor, It never was or will be very fast, it should have 4gb of ddr3 ram, and is capable of running any Linux distribution.
Could be faster though and booting is kinda slow
This could cost you a few pennies, it has a slow plate spinner HDD, if you invest in a SSD and swap them, you will get noticeably better performance [this is what I did to my 2010 Dell and installed Mint LMDE a mid-weight distribution]

OK, so it a 2012/3 vintage bargain-basement [entry level] laptop with an AMD E2-1800 processor, It never was or will be very fast, it should have 4gb of ddr3 ram, and is capable of running any Linux distribution.

This could cost you a few pennies, it has a slow plate spinner HDD, if you invest in a SSD and swap them, you will get noticeably better performance [this is what I did to my 2010 Dell and installed Mint LMDE a mid-weight distribution]

just trying to see if the laptop is good for anything. the lag isnt bad but its a bad sign... as i would like to do some lightweight coding. havent tested that yet

Puppy can be installed to the hard drive and works quite well on older equipment. You may also want to give Peppermint a go.
See how that works on your hardware.

is it possible to install puppy from live usb? I didnt really understand the setup program last time i checked it lol

just trying to see if the laptop is good for anything.
There is nothing wrong with it, just that it was a budget entry laptop [less than£275 or $300] when new.
As it's now 20 years old, it may be worth testing the HDD as it could be on the way out.
My old Dell is used daily and my go to travelling kit yes its not as fast as a new machine but once booted it is quite acceptable

Hi
I just tested puppy linux but it doesn't seem to have option to install it on Hard disk drive? I would want distro that can be installed.

https://www.wikihow.com/images/thumb/0/07/Install-Puppy-Linux-Step-11-Version-3.jpg/aid666439-v4-728px-Install-Puppy-Linux-Step-11-Version-3.jpg

Puppy will install to a hard drive as already mentioned by @kc1di.
Puppy Linux should be installed to a USB flash drive as a frugal install as it was designed to best from a USB flash drive as a frugal install.
Have a look where it says internal 3rd line down from the top.

https://www.wikihow.com/images/thumb/0/07/Install-Puppy-Linux-Step-11-Version-3.jpg/aid666439-v4-728px-Install-Puppy-Linux-Step-11-Version-3.jpg

Puppy will install to a hard drive as already mentioned by @kc1di.
Puppy Linux should be installed to a USB flash drive as a frugal install as it was designed to best from a USB flash drive as a frugal install.

so my puppy usb made with rufus isnt going to work, I need to install frugal in (usb) it? this stuff bit over my head :D

is it possible to install puppy from live usb
Your machine is new enough to have UEFI and be USB bootable using a bootable iso,

so my puppy usb made with rufus isnt going to work,
It may be a problem with Rufus, try Balena-etcher
It may be a problem with the pen-drive [use a good quality one clean and formatted FATS

It may be a problem with Rufus, try Balena-etcher
It may be a problem with the pen-drive [use a good quality one clean and formatted FATS

I mean I got to the puppy installer just didnt understand how to use it. i installed something with it but apparently not the full puppy

Members online