echo PATH

wumiyeye

Reaction score
Credits
Good day,
I am new to Linux. I just created and downloaded exe files to my computer.
The files are located in: /usr/local/bin/XDS-INTEL64_Linux_x86_64
I wish to use echo PATH command to make the files accessible. Kindly guide me in the simplest language how to go about this.
Thank you.

Telling us the distro and version might help.

And what does the Terminal command

Code:
echo $PATH

reveal?

Wizard

Welcome to the Linux Org forums

We are an un-associated, Independent advice a site for those in need of help with installation problems, those wanting a deeper understanding of Linux and Tech's needing more advanced advice,
We are a voluntary organisation our members are scattered across the four corners of the world and every time zone, so please accept that you may not get a quick answer.

Just a few things to remember
We are an international board so we ask that all post be in English [if you think your English is not very good , fine give it a try or use one of the translator programs [ DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator is recommended]
When asking for help
Please state the make and model number of your machine or its specification [some problems may be equipment specific]
Please tell us which distribution and build number you are having problems with [example Ubuntu 18.1]
Explain what your problem is and what [if anything] you have tried to remedy it yourself

Finally Linux is not Windows, It will require the newcomer to invest a little time and effort going through a learning curve so please don’t give up, kick off your shoes, grab a drink and enjoy the ride.

Bwiz

Re: /usr/local/bin

this is what i have in usr/local/bin

Code:
[andrew@darkstar:~]$ ls /usr/local/bin                            (06-28 10:12)
composer*  speedtest*
[andrew@darkstar:~]$                                              (06-28 10:12)
I put them there because /usr/local/bin IS in my PATH; thats [pretty much the point of it. So executables will run directly by just typing them in a terminal eg

Code:
[andrew@darkstar:~]$ composer -V                                  (06-28 10:12)
Composer version 2.0.14 2021-05-21 17:03:37
[andrew@darkstar:~]$                                              (06-28 10:16)
The above shows me that "composer" in /usr/local/bin is reponding will i called the "version" flag on it.

However I notice you are mentioning "EXE" in your post which indicates a Window executable to me. So either you are trying to use Wine with an .exe file or maybe you think you can get an .exe file to run in /usr/local/bin - the latter is not going to happen.Also there is no file suffix mentioned for XDS-INTEL64_Linux_x86_64 can you elaborate what you are trying to do and what and where did you get the file you think is going to achieve your objective

Re: /usr/local/bin

this is what i have in usr/local/bin

Code:
[andrew@darkstar:~]$ ls /usr/local/bin                            (06-28 10:12)
composer*  speedtest*
[andrew@darkstar:~]$                                              (06-28 10:12)
I put them there because /usr/local/bin IS in my PATH; thats [pretty much the point of it. So executables will run directly by just typing them in a terminal eg

Code:
[andrew@darkstar:~]$ composer -V                                  (06-28 10:12)
Composer version 2.0.14 2021-05-21 17:03:37
[andrew@darkstar:~]$                                              (06-28 10:16)
The above shows me that "composer" in /usr/local/bin is reponding will i called the "version" flag on it.

However I notice you are mentioning "EXE" in your post which indicates a Window executable to me. So either you are trying to use Wine with an .exe file or maybe you think you can get an .exe file to run in /usr/local/bin - the latter is not going to happen.Also there is no file suffix mentioned for XDS-INTEL64_Linux_x86_64 can you elaborate what you are trying to do and what and where did you get the file you think is going to achieve your objective

Thank you for your response. This is my first time trying to install an app on Linux and I certainly labelled the files wrongly, they are not Windows files so exe is not the right label. Attached is the instruction I am following for the installation. I succeeded with (No 3) downloading the files and and putting them in the following folder usr/local/bin/XDS-INTEL64_Linux_x86_64. The folder contains the executable files. My confusion is with No 2. (2. Path assignment for executables of the XDS package accessible) What is my $PATH in this scenario? And how do I apply it? Thank you for your patience.

Attachments

• xdsreportfinal1.pdf
    430 KB · Views: 983
ok there is something we need to clarify here. Your document is about doing stuff with the Windows System for Linux which runs on Windows. So can you clarify if you are running Windows and playing with the WSL or that you have a fully fledged standalone Linux OS running ? i think your playing with WSL ? We need to find that out first

For installing WSL on Windows you can read this : https://www.linux.org/threads/install-linux-on-windows-10-via-wsl.27128/#post-83087

if i get a chance well look through pdf document ; that would be after you confirm my question though

Last edited:
ok there is something we need to clarify here. Your document is about doing stuff with the Windows System for Linux which runs on Windows. So can you clarify if you are running Windows and playing with the WSL or that you have a fully fledged standalone Linux OS running ? i think your playing with WSL ? We need to find that out first

For installing WSL on Windows you can read this : https://www.linux.org/threads/install-linux-on-windows-10-via-wsl.27128/#post-83087

if i get a chance well look through pdf document ; that would be after you confirm my question though

1. I am planning to run a Linux program on my Windows 10 computer.
2. I already succeeded with WSL installation and subsequently installed Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.
3. I have also downloaded my application into the directory (/usr/local/bin/XDS-INTEL64_Linux_x86-64) using linux commands as instructed in the previously attached pdf.
4. I am at the point of assigning the PATH to make the executable run from the terminal .

Setting the path is listed in section 2 of the pdf document….
0BCCCC89-EE12-4218-86ED-21E4918D973E.jpeg

Edit ~/.bashrc as per the instructions.
Once you’re done, reload your .bashrc using bash’s . built-in like this:
Bash:
. ~/.bashrc
That will reload your .bashrc and apply it to the terminal you’re currently running.
When you open a new terminal, the file will automatically be loaded. But in any terminals that are already open, changes to the .rc files do not get picked up, so you have to reload it.
That then sets up the modified path and you should be able to run the executables.

I’m assuming you ran the ln command in section 3?
If not, you need to do that too. What that does is creates symbolic links in /usr/local/bin/ that point to the executables in the XDS-INTEL64_Linux_x86-64 sub-directory.
Symbolic links are similar to shortcuts in windows.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts