dual boot issue

Normally when dual or multiple booting linux distros the last one you install will control grub. You should not end up with two grubs unless you purposely tell the installer to install them on separate Drives.

Last edited:

Normally when dual or multiple booting linux distros the last one you install will control grub. You should not end up with two grub unless you purposely tell the installer to install them on separate Drives.
Just what I want to avoid. I want the grub to remain controlled by the first distro so I can experiment with the second. The problem for me is that I don't know how to make that happen.

I usually do it the Lazy way and change the boot order in the Bios, I suppose the correct way would be to boot the NVMe using the short boot menu and running grub repair, just remember whichever distribution you install last will always take boot priority unless you reconfigure it
Chuckle. Both drives are Samsung EVO. So in bios, my choices are Samsung or ...... Samsung. I can't tell which one is which.
Unfortunately, the correct way you describe is beyond my current level of knowledge. NVMe? Short boot menu? And as uninformed as I am, I can just imagine the havoc I would create trying to fix grub by myself. I've not heard of the program "grub repair". I have heard of one called "grub customizer", read an article on it that cautions not to use it as it does bad things. Not the same program?

Thinking about dual booting Cinnamon and LMDE6. We'll see. Ubuntu was good, but I couldn't get the file manager to display an "old style" directory tree. That deal with the icons of folders just rubs me wrong. :D
I like the suggestion about renaming the drives but I have a question. The tutorial you referenced tells how to rename a partition, but not how to rename an entire drive. Thoughts?
This video show how to rename a hard drive using g-parted.

If the HDD that you want to rename is the only working Linux os then you will have to run g-parted Live from a USB thumb drive.

Last edited:
Chuckle. Both drives are Samsung EVO. So in bios, my choices are Samsung or ...... Samsung. I can't tell which one is which.
Unfortunately, the correct way you describe is beyond my current level of knowledge. NVMe? Short boot menu? And as uninformed as I am, I can just imagine the havoc I would create trying to fix grub by myself. I've not heard of the program "grub repair". I have heard of one called "grub customizer", read an article on it that cautions not to use it as it does bad things. Not the same program?
Correct, Grub Customizer is not a wise choice. I would not use it because it makes changes to the /etc/grub.d conf file. This can have undesireable effects on the bootloader. A non-booting Linux system only leads to frustration.

If the video didn't help you to be able to understand how to rename one of your Samsung drives let me know.

Last edited:
The tutorial you referenced tells how to rename a partition, but not how to rename an entire drive. Thoughts?

That is correct, it also applies (sorry, Alex @Alexzee ) to the video Alex provided at #44. The authors of both the article linked to at #33, and the video linked at #44, have confused labelling a partition with renaming a drive, which latter cannot be effected under GParted.

That being said, labelling partitions will ripple through to your FM (File Manager - Nemo under Cinnamon) and allow for easier navigation there. See my screenshots below.

kO7G8Yp.png

SCREENSHOT 1

The above shows an unnamed partition 17 GB in size, with a Linux distro on it. This might equate to your nvme0n1p3 (93 G) that houses your working Mint.

You can then use either of the article or video Alex provided to re-label the partition in GParted. First close the FM, then open GParted, then re-label the desired partition, then close GParted and re-open your FM.

ZyJLUWA.png

SCREENSHOT 2

In the above (Gecko Linux is based on openSUSE), the 17 GB partition is now clearly identified by me as being Gecko Linux Cinnamon on my SATA hard drive. Its entry has moved on the list, as Nemo lists partitions alpha-numerically.

Don't be daunted by all my entries, I use about 80 Linux over 3 drives.

Hope this is clearer, I will deal with your Grub Menus a little later in my day.

Cheers

Wizard

So, I'm looking at Timeshift. I have a snapshot for the broken drive and I tried to restore it. It restored with errors and still won't boot.
Looking at the options for select target device, the second option on that list is path /boot. The default is "Keep on root device". Should I change that to match the enrty in the next option which is the path for /boot/efi. In this case is nvme1n1p1. ( the efi partition on the drive I'm having issues with. )?
That is correct, it also applies (sorry, Alex @Alexzee ) to the video Alex provided at #44. The authors of both the article linked to at #33, and the video linked at #44, have confused labelling a partition with renaming a drive, which latter cannot be effected under GParted.

That being said, labelling partitions will ripple through to your FM (File Manager - Nemo under Cinnamon) and allow for easier navigation there. See my screenshots below.

kO7G8Yp.png

SCREENSHOT 1

The above shows an unnamed partition 17 GB in size, with a Linux distro on it. This might equate to your nvme0n1p3 (93 G) that houses your working Mint.

You can then use either of the article or video Alex provided to re-label the partition in GParted. First close the FM, then open GParted, then re-label the desired partition, then close GParted and re-open your FM.

ZyJLUWA.png

SCREENSHOT 2

In the above (Gecko Linux is based on openSUSE), the 17 GB partition is now clearly identified by me as being Gecko Linux Cinnamon on my SATA hard drive. Its entry has moved on the list, as Nemo lists partitions alpha-numerically.

Don't be daunted by all my entries, I use about 80 Linux over 3 drives.

Hope this is clearer, I will deal with your Grub Menus a little later in my day.

Cheers

Wizard
Thanks Wizard. Don't worry about the grub entries. They're gone now. I messed something up, I don't really know how, but I lost the ability to boot anything and had to start all over. Again.
Luckily all critical data is backed up in other places.
Since I had to start over anyway, I thought I'd install LMDE6 first on nvme1 and then Mint on nvme0. Got through most of the install and ran into an error message about the bootloader needing to be configured manually, of course after the drive was re partitioned. Going to download the ISO from a different place and try again later.
Just re installed mint and I'm working on getting it all tweaked to my taste. Have to get this computer networked with the other two so I can get my files all copied back here. Been a while so I need to research all that again.
You folks are a tremendous help to we neophytes. My humble thanks!
I'm learning though, so it's all good.

Sorry for any confusion Danbor. I was sincerely attempting to help.
We all make mistakes, that includes You Tube too-

I was going to suggest fresh installations on both drives. However; I wasn't sure if you wanted to pursue that task.

Sorry for any confusion Danbor. I was sincerely attempting to help.
We all make mistakes, that includes You Tube too-

I was going to suggest fresh installations on both drives. However; I wasn't sure if you wanted to pursue that task.
Nothing to be sorry for. We're here to help each other and things like this are bound to happen. We all learn from our collective mistakes.
As long as I can get my daily stuff done I am willing to try things. Been figuring I'd have to re install everything since the boot problem appeared .
I had to abort an LMDE6 installation already so I'll probably be back seeking help soon. ;D

I'm learning though, so it's all good.

And it is, but only as long as your workflow is not sent spiralling into chaos, lol. And you and I are contemporary (you are 8 weeks and 2 days my senior), so old dogs like us can be taught new tricks.

If it were me, I would be inclined to choose to wipe both drives with the GParted that is available to you on the installation USB stick and really start afresh. I would choose Victoria (Mint 21.2) to put on the drive it was most recently working from (Drive Zero) and let the installer do the partitioning.

It won't generate a Grub Menu in the beginning, although we can get that for you if you want.

After it is installed successfully, we can capture some details and you can get about doing your work for a week, after which you can then install Faye (LMDE 6) on Drive 1, slightly differently, perhaps. It's at that time that a Grub Menu will be automatically generated, and then there are methods we can teach to either boot the one you wish and/or have it on top of the Menu.

Gotta fly and cook my evening meal, back tomorrow

Cheers

Chris

And it is, but only as long as your workflow is not sent spiralling into chaos, lol. And you and I are contemporary (you are 8 weeks and 2 days my senior), so old dogs like us can be taught new tricks.

If it were me, I would be inclined to choose to wipe both drives with the GParted that is available to you on the installation USB stick and really start afresh. I would choose Victoria (Mint 21.2) to put on the drive it was most recently working from (Drive Zero) and let the installer do the partitioning.

It won't generate a Grub Menu in the beginning, although we can get that for you if you want.

After it is installed successfully, we can capture some details and you can get about doing your work for a week, after which you can then install Faye (LMDE 6) on Drive 1, slightly differently, perhaps. It's at that time that a Grub Menu will be automatically generated, and then there are methods we can teach to either boot the one you wish and/or have it on top of the Menu.

Cheers

Chris
That's what I'm doing as we speak. I've installed Victoria back on nvme0 and am in the process of tweaking it back to my liking. And getting caught back up, ok, at least caught up enough I can play some more. :D
You can expect me to be annoying you and others about putting Faye on the other drive in a few days. Thanks for all the help!

Cheers

Chris
Oh, happy belated birthday! ( if my reckoning is right it was a few weeks ago. ;)

i solved my dual booting issues by not dual booting lol, imagine the insanity of using one os, there is not a single application on windows that does not have an alternative that is FREE on linux, most people just refuse to learn linux so they dual boot, start googling how do i fix (insert issue here) and then your life will be better, the only thing you lose out on in linux is games with invasive anticheat and you are better off without them anyways as they are aimed as stupid teens that use daddys credit card to buy skins to help them "compete", once you rid yourself of competitive games life is much better

and since im not a dick, most dual booting issues are resolved by simply removing the physical drive with windows on it when installing linux on another drive, windows likes to ruin the bootloader for linux because they hate linux, it is done on purpose

Well, late to the party - as usual! Also, no real help to anyone here, but I run over a dozen Puppies off the same SSD, and I never have the slightest problem with booting what I want.

Reason?

Puppy's modified, patched Grub4DOS. Any time I add another Pup to the "mix", I do a quick'n'dirty install - copying the OS files to a fresh directory (for those that don't know, Puppy can run from sub-directories on a drive; our version of Grub4DOS will search two layers deep to find a bootable kernel) - and then I manually edit Grub4DOS's 'menu.lst' file to add another stanza and point it exactly where I want it to look via the drive UUID and a unique sub-directory name.

Yeah, I know it sounds complicated.....but believe me, it is SO simple once you get the hang of it. Loathing of GRUB2 was one of the main reasons I moved to Puppy, to get away from the damn thing. I have never seen such a bloated, overly-complex bootloader in my life. It's the equivalent of what M$ tries to do with Windows - be "all things to all men". It attempts to be "the answer" to every conceivable boot issue imaginable, yet it still has issues coping with anything other than straight-forward boot scenarios.

As mentioned above, though, the real answer to running multiple OSs is NOT to dual-boot; to keep them totally separate ON separate machines........unless you're a long-term, experienced veteran that really knows what they're doing with custom setups, both hardware AND software.

@I-hate-Windows :-

I think of Windows in this scenario as the "playground bully".......wants everything its own way. It's not so much the "we hate Linux" thing - they've moved on a long way beyond the days of Steve Ballmer! - more a case of "Hey, look, we've given you this absolutely amazing, do-everything OS. Why would you WANT to use anything else?"

Like any other company, they blow their own trumpet. You don't get anywhere in business by singing the other guy's praises, do you? :p

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
@I-hate-Windows If you read the Thread, you will find that the OP is not seeking to dual boot with Windows, he was seeking to dual boot two Linuxes.

Wizard

Well, late to the party - as usual! Also, no real help to anyone here, but I run over a dozen Puppies off the same SSD, and I never have the slightest problem with booting what I want.

Reason?

Puppy's modified, patched Grub4DOS. Any time I add another Pup to the "mix", I do a quick'n'dirty install - copying the OS files to a fresh directory (for those that don't know, Puppy can run from sub-directories on a drive; our version of Grub4DOS will search two layers deep to find a bootable kernel) - and then I manually edit Grub4DOS's 'menu.lst' file to add another stanza and point it exactly where I want it to look via the drive UUID and a unique sub-directory name.

Yeah, I know it sounds complicated.....but believe me, it is SO simple once you get the hang of it. Loathing of GRUB2 was one of the main reasons I moved to Puppy, to get away from the damn thing. I have never seen such a bloated, overly-complex bootloader in my life. It's the equivalent of what M$ tries to do with Windows - be "all things to all men". It attempts to be "the answer" to every conceivable boot issue imaginable, yet it still has issues coping with anything other than straight-forward boot scenarios.

As mentioned above, though, the real answer to running multiple OSs is NOT to dual-boot; to keep them totally separate ON separate machines........unless you're a long-term, experienced veteran that really knows what they're doing with custom setups, both hardware AND software.

@I-hate-Windows :-

I think of Windows in this scenario as the "playground bully".......wants everything its own way. It's not so much the "we hate Linux" thing - they've moved on a long way beyond the days of Steve Ballmer! - more a case of "Hey, look, we've given you this absolutely amazing, do-everything OS. Why would you WANT to use anything else?"

Like any other company, they blow their own trumpet. You don't get anywhere in business by singing the other guy's praises, do you? :p

Mike. ;)
i personally look at arch with kde as the perfect os, but im not nerdy enough to know how to use it proper so manjaro exists lmao, i just cant stand how microshaft profits from stealing user data and selling it to the highest bidder, all whilst making you paying for their os which is highly locked down :rawwr:

@I-hate-Windows If you read the Thread, you will find that the OP is not seeking to dual boot with Windows, he was seeking to dual boot two Linuxes.

Wizard
omg i just assumed and went off, welp you read my name however my advice still applies, if you must force it remove the other drive while installing and correct it in bios later

No longer an issue. I wanted a second OS installed only so I could experiment with trying to get the ability to play one, and only one, game, without hosing my ability to get work done. Didn't work out so well.
So now, the second drive is formatted but empty. I'm sure to need the space later. I've managed to install Virtualbox and have LMDE6 on it. I then cloned it so when I screw it up I can just ditch the clone and make another.
Naturally the one game I have any interest in playing is not listed in Wine, Steam or Lutris. I doubt I'll ever get the game going. I downloaded it and tried to install with wine. It tried but it appears that dependancies and other things are missing. I don't know what is missing, nor do I know how to find out what it needs, where to find what it needs nor would I know how to install the things.
Kinda bums me out too. I played Criminal Case for years on Facebook until it just vanished. I tried to get the Android-x86 Os to run it as it's offered in Android and windoze versions but ran into the same problem, Support files missing and no way to correct the issue.
I do have an HP Elite desk in the closet that I can't run anything but windows on as the motherboard is tied to microsoft in bios with no way to change it. So I could use that, but I just can't bring myself to dirty my hands using a product from such a blatantly corrupt company as MS.

No longer an issue. I wanted a second OS installed only so I could experiment with trying to get the ability to play one, and only one, game, without hosing my ability to get work done. Didn't work out so well.
So now, the second drive is formatted but empty. I'm sure to need the space later. I've managed to install Virtualbox and have LMDE6 on it. I then cloned it so when I screw it up I can just ditch the clone and make another.
Naturally the one game I have any interest in playing is not listed in Wine, Steam or Lutris. I doubt I'll ever get the game going. I downloaded it and tried to install with wine. It tried but it appears that dependancies and other things are missing. I don't know what is missing, nor do I know how to find out what it needs, where to find what it needs nor would I know how to install the things.
Kinda bums me out too. I played Criminal Case for years on Facebook until it just vanished. I tried to get the Android-x86 Os to run it as it's offered in Android and windoze versions but ran into the same problem, Support files missing and no way to correct the issue.
I do have an HP Elite desk in the closet that I can't run anything but windows on as the motherboard is tied to microsoft in bios with no way to change it. So I could use that, but I just can't bring myself to dirty my hands using a product from such a blatantly corrupt company as MS.
Thanks for the details.

Tho you may not be able to run Criminal Case have a look at Retro Arch.
I found that a lot of the older games run well in Retro Arch.

I used Google to find out info. on the game:-
As of June 18, 2023, all the Criminal Case games are inaccessible on Facebook.
You may still be able to play it offline, not sure.
There is support for Criminal Case online. Maybe they can be of assistance?

How's LMDE6 running in VBox?

Staff online