Dual boot - Black screen on boot

Oosernoom

Reaction score
Credits
Hey, I'm relatively new to Linux and have been trying to install Linux Mint along side Windows 10 on my laptop.

I used Rufus to burn the ISO to my USB stick, booted from the USB, got to the GRUB menu, but when I select the first option to boot linux mint, it just goes to a black screen with no changes after ~30 mins of waiting. I was able to get it to boot by using recovery mode instead, which worked fine but the touchpad on my laptop didn't work so I have to use an external mouse, which was fine. I used that to run the Mint installer and all went well.

I then went ahead and rebooted the system, which brought me to a new menu where I could select Windows or Mint. Windows still boots just fine, no issues there, but if I select Mint the screen again just goes black and does nothing. I tried searching for some answers online, the main thing I found was to boot using nomodeset but still nothing.

I even went and brought the laptop to a local PC repair shop where one of the staff is supposedly an expert in Linux. He took it for a night and tried to install Mint again, but to no avail. He ended up just removing Linux all together from the laptop so it just boots Windows like normal again now. The summary he gave me afterwards was that my specific system wasn't compatible with Linux at all, but that it would be possible to do it through making a custom modified kernal. Like I said, I'm relatively new to Linux so I have no idea if he's spewing nonsense or if it's really not possible.

So with all of that said, is anyone able to confirm or deny this? And if it's not true, does anyone know any way I can install Linux successfully? I don't really mind which distro either, doesn't have to be Mint, almost any will do as long as it has some graphical interface.

System specs:
- CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U with Vega Mobile Gfx 2.00 GHz
- RAM: 8GB
- Motherboard: Lenovo 81FB