Doomed but not giving up!

@JayneNZ :-

It's nothing to be ashamed of. You're in good company....

Many decide to take a look at Linux. Windows users, especially, expect to find a free, open-source version of Windows, complete with all the familiar items they're used to, where the GUI is king. Because Linux is rather more hands-on - editing config files in a text-editor, and running multiple commands in "the terminal" are just part & parcel of day-to-day living with Linux - this often overwhelms many who were thinking of making 'the switch'.

They decide to give it up as a bad job, and elect to stay with what they know. It's what they're used to - whether they really like it or not! - they're 'comfortable' with it.......and because of that, they feel 'safe'.

Me, I couldn't WAIT to kick Windoze into touch back in 2014. I'd had 13 years of XP, and was fed-up to the back teeth with Microsoft. Period. I wiped it out of my life, installed Ubuntu, and jumped-in at the deep end.....all in the space of a single night.

Yes, there was a 'learning-curve'. But much depends on the individual as to just how steep it really is....

Mike. ;)

Last edited:

OK Guys - I've slept on it overnight and decided that I WILL NOT BE DEFEATED lol
I come from an IT background (many, many years ago) working on mainframes (VM, MVS, JCL, JES2 etc) so I'm happy to fiddle around under the hood.
I guess in my old age I thought I could just throw it on and it would work instantly and then I could play around with it.
So, my idea is to approach this from a slightly different angle.
I'm going to print out the complete list of specs of my macbook air and then work through learning the linux side and how to access all those specs. (lol did that even make sense?)
Might need to start with a basic "understanding linux" type of tutorial - recommendations much appreciated as there are tons of them out there.
Wish me luck!!
I'm sure you'll here from me on here again - I'll try not to be too annoying!
J

@JayneNZ :-

OK Guys - I've slept on it overnight and decided that I WILL NOT BE DEFEATED lol

Good for you, lass..!

Oh, we look forward to seeing ya. And "Welcome" to the Linux.org community...

(In case you weren't aware, MacOS and Linux are WAY closer in concept than Linux & Windows, or MacOS & Windows. Really & truly, Windows is the "odd man out", despite being the dominant home desktop OS through a whole series of legal shenanigans in the late 90s/ early 2000s.

MacOS and Linux can stand on their own merits; both are either fully- or partially POSIX compliant.....MacOS is in fact mostly evolved from Steve Jobs's revolutionary "NextSTEP" OS, which he came up with after getting the bum's rush from Apple the first time round.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NeXTSTEP

Gates & company had to bully their way into the top slot. And of course, it shows....)

Don't be afraid to ask what may seem like daft questions. The only truly 'daft' questions are the ones you DON'T ask..!

Mike. :p

Last edited:

Good to see some of that celebrated Kiwi fighting spirit, Anzacs and so on, the All Blacks never quit ;)

We have a few threads around here about Macs with installing Linux on them, I'll see if I can trawl up a few links.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

from across the ditch

Bit the bullet and decided that the best way to learn Linux is to install it and work through the issues.
So I have installed Ubuntu (because I found what I thought was the answer to the wifi problem).
I ran grep Network and identified that I needed to download the b43 drivers.
Put them on a usb from another computer but now I'm having trouble copying the folder into lib/firmware
I've tried this command: cp b43 /lib/firmware and get the result: "-r not specified; omitting directory 'b43'"
The folder b43 is sitting in the home directory where all the other folders are (documents, downloads, music etc
have tried putting -r in the command before the b43 and i have tried it with sudo as well - same result
Thanks for your help.

Put them on a usb from another computer but now I'm having trouble copying the folder
How exactly did you download the drivers ?
Normaly you would download the driver-package as a "deb" file and should install that with dpkg?

Code:
sudo dpkg -i bcmwl*.deb

Cheers,
Eddy

How exactly did you download the drivers ?
Normaly you would download the driver-package as a "deb" file and should install that with dpkg?

Code:
sudo dpkg -i bcmwl*.deb

Cheers,
Eddy
It was a zipped file - got the link from the article I was reading about it. I unzipped it and put the b43 folder into the home directory.
where do I find the driver package?

If it was a zipped file (not the standard procedure to follow, but anyway), isn't there a script called "install.sh" or "setup.sh" included ? Didn't the website you went to, include the same file as a debian deb file ? Where did you go than ?

Eddy

My link in post #14 was for the Deb package, normally with mint, once downloaded you click on the folder and select open with Deb installer

My link in post #14 was for the Deb package, normally with mint, once downloaded you click on the folder and select open with Deb installer
Thankyou, I downloaded that onto a USB
Where should I copy it to on the Linux computer?

just stick the usb in the slot, right click and select open, look for the deb package, left click and select open with deb installer. YOU do not need to move it anywhere, the deb installer should do all the work [ but if your happier you can just drag and drop to your desktop or download folder [or any other place you choose]

just stick the usb in the slot, right click and select open, look for the deb package, left click and select open with deb installer. YOU do not need to move it anywhere, the deb installer should do all the work [ but if your happier you can just drag and drop to your desktop or download folder [or any other place you choose]
selected open and only got Open with Archive Manager or Open with other Application which listed Archive Manager and Software Install. Chose Software Install and it went and did something but when I checked in the Network Settings there was still only VPN and Network Proxy
Trying a reboot
Nope still not showing

????? are you still using Mint? [comes with inbuilt Deb installer] if not you may need to download one

????? are you still using Mint? [comes with inbuilt Deb installer] if not you may need to download one
No, as per post #27 I installed Ubuntu as I had read an article which seemed to fix this wifi problem.
Not working for me lol See my later posts from 27 on
Appreciate your time!

All .fw files
You downloaded from a untrusted source, please DO NOT install them !
Please follow @Brickwizard post number 31 and on, and install the firmware the way you should, I'm sure Ubuntu has those drivers available in their repos.
Reboot or run "sudo modprobe b43" afterwards and check your systemlog for any errors from NetworkManager.
Then post those errors here...

Cheers,

Eddy

Staff online