Doomed but not giving up!

JayneNZ

Reaction score
Credits
OK, so I have my daughters old MacBook Air 2015, Model A1466 and I would really like to run Linux on it however, all my efforts so far have failed. Here is what I did:
1. Wiped the laptop to factory settings - actually, I think I completely wiped the disk as I recall having to go back in and create a boot disk or something (lol)
2. Tried to install Linux Mint - no keyboard functionality
3. Thought maybe it needed some sort of background OS so used Etcher to put OCLP Sonoma on it. It kind of worked but it wasn't Sonoma, think it was Ventura
4. Tried to install Linux Mint again and had pages of error code flash by (as before) - this time keyboard & trackpad worked but no wifi
5. Decided to try Elementary - same issue. Keyboard & trackpad working but no wifi.
6. Went back to Linux Mint & tried work around that I'd found in a forum about using my phone to connect to internet & download but it didn't see my phone that was no good.
7. Tried something in a forum typed in: mokutil --sb in terminal, answer: This system doesn't support secure boot.
8. Typed in sudo apt install bcmwl-kernel-source and got 'could not resolve 'archive.ubuntu.com'

What do I do next?
I once put Linux on a (windows)laptop years ago and it worked a treat so I'm pretty bummed that this isn't working, is it because it's Apple?
Did I stuff it up right at the beginning?
Any help much appreciated.
Jayne

Installing anything other than OS on a Mac is not as easy as to a wind machine, you will need to be able to connect to internet, either by hard-wire [Ethernet] or using a data enabled mobile in tethered mode, to enable you to download the updates and the BCM drivers for the wi-fi. the preparation of the machine is the same for all debian/ubuntu based distributions.
some things to remember
Download your chosen iso prefereably a long term support version.
Create a bootable drive on a windows machine use Balina Etcher. If you are using the Mac then make the bootable drive using the Mac drive maker.
when ready to install

on the Mac to start installation hold the Option button and press the Power button once. Keep holding the Option button till you see two boot options. Select the USB icon ‘EFI Boot’ click on install, and it should start to load

FOR most Debian/Ubuntu based distributions, After installing try from the terminal sudo apt update && sudo apt -y install bcmwl-kernel-source to install wi-fi drivers

then sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade to update the whole installation

Hello @JayneNZ,
Welcome to the Linux.org forum.

A couple of things you may want to try with Mint.
1. Make sure if the system has secure boot function that it is turned off in bios.
2. You will need some method of getting online to download needed files.
3. You may need to enter nomodeset in the grub boot line.
(See here)
Scroll down to the sections on

Solving freezes during the boot sequence​

follow the instructions there.
4. The bcmwl-kernel-source driver for broadcom wifi may be on the install usb I don't have a copy available at the moment to check, but they used to put it on there and you could install it using gdebi tool in Mint. If it's not there you can go here and download it with all it's needed dependencies and copy to another usb stick and install from there.
Pay attention to the list of dependencies because you will need to download and install them first.
Good luck.

E: Unable to locate package bcmwi-kernel-source

?
You will need to find a way to be connected by ethernet or tethered phone to download with this command.
If you have access to another computer do what I said and download the driver and dependencies from ubuntu package site and copy the to a usb stick and install using gdebi (in mint) or software install in ubuntu.

Unable to locate package bcmwi-kernel-source
ok lets go the other way,
click on LM menu button, select software manager and open, in search box type B43-fwcutter, locate and install from the results.

as I previously said....you will need to be able to connect to internet, either by hard-wire [Ethernet] or using a data enabled mobile in tethered mode, to enable you to download the updates and the BCM drivers for the wi-fi.

ok lets go the other way,
click on LM menu button, select software manager and open, in search box type B43-fwcutter, locate and install from the results.

as I previously said....you will need to be able to connect to internet, either by hard-wire [Ethernet] or using a data enabled mobile in tethered mode, to enable you to download the updates and the BCM drivers for the wi-fi.
Thanks but no hard-wire internet and as I mentioned the phone hotspot didn't work.
Getting more than frustrated
Should I try another distro or will this happen with any of them?

same for all the problem with the WI-FI is that BCM43 drivers are not in the kernel but additional drivers pack, which you normally need internet to download. there is a bcm 43 driver in the mint iso, you would normally install it at testing stage, and sometimes [long time since I have had to do it] re-install it as the iso is installing

the phone hotspot didn't work.
Wireless tethering a Mac to an Android phone is dead simple . I've used it so many times to install drivers that I tend to forget that it's an odd way to do things .
I just connect to the local Wi-Fi with a phone that doesn't even have a plan . It's best if your phone is fully charged before hand so it doesn't put too much stress on your laptop as the phone will charge automatically off the laptop .

Plug your charger cable into your phone and into your Mac > make sure Wi-Fi is turned on on your phone > tap "settings" in your phone > tap "Network and Internet" > tap "Hotspot & Tethering" > tap "USB tethering" . At that point your Mac should display as connected to the internet in your Mint Wi-Fi settings > Download all of the drivers .

Perhaps you already know all this but it bares repeating for any novices in attendance . It was entirely novel to me when I stumbled across some years ago . I've heard it can be done with some iPhones too but have no experience with that .
Source - https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=387405

Hello @JayneNZ,
Welcome to the Linux.org forum.

A couple of things you may want to try with Mint.
1. Make sure if the system has secure boot function that it is turned off in bios.
2. You will need some method of getting online to download needed files.
3. You may need to enter nomodeset in the grub boot line.
(See here)

Scroll down to the sections on

Solving freezes during the boot sequence​

follow the instructions there.
4. The bcmwl-kernel-source driver for broadcom wifi may be on the install usb I don't have a copy available at the moment to check, but they used to put it on there and you could install it using gdebi tool in Mint. If it's not there you can go here and download it with all it's needed dependencies and copy to another usb stick and install from there.

Pay attention to the list of dependencies because you will need to download and install them first.
Good luck.
Seriously too many dependencies for me to sit here and install them all!!!
Really appreciate your time with this tho.
Why is it soooo hard!!!!!!
What am I doing so wrong?

same for all the problem with the WI-FI is that BCM43 drivers are not in the kernel but additional drivers pack, which you normally need internet to download. there is a bcm 43 driver in the mint iso, you would normally install it at testing stage, and sometimes [long time since I have had to do it] re-install it as the iso is installing
Yes, when I was reading all the installation documentation it showed wifi but my installation never showed it.
Think this might have to wait until tomorrow now.
Nearly midnight here in NZ - first to see 2024
Happy New Year to you

Yes, when I was reading all the installation documentation it showed wifi but my installation never showed it.
Think this might have to wait until tomorrow now.
Nearly midnight here in NZ - first to see 2024
Happy New Year to you
Happy New Year.
Remember it's not impossible to get it going, keep at it.

What am I doing so wrong?
Probably nothing, as I said at the start of my first reply, Installing anything other than OS on a Mac is not as easy as to a wind machine,
Older Mac's [along with Dells and a few others] all had BCM Wi-Fi, the drivers for these are not FOSS, so are not in the Linux Kernel and have to be installed from a repository.
do you have another computer that can connect to the internet [not phone] if so you could try downloading the divers to a pen-drive then installing from that.
download link http://nz2.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/b/b43-fwcutter/b43-fwcutter_019-4_amd64.deb

No Wi-Fi? You could get a cheap and tiny USB Wi-Fi dongle from the likes of eBay.
Snap! I was about to suggest the same thing myself.

My old Dell Latitude lappie uses the dreaded Broadcom B43, too.....but I've completely bypassed this, since I cannot be arsed to mess around with trying to install the drivers for the damn thing. Dell seem to have had a love affair with Broadcom for years, 'cos it's all they EVER seem to fit to their machines.

My older Dell Inspiron that died early last year had a CardBus adapter slot. Because the Inspiron 1100 never actually came with built-in wifi - yes, it was THAT old! (2002) - I got around the problem by purchasing a "period" NetGear CardBus wifi adapter to go in its CardBus slot. This worked beautifully for years.

Fortunately, the Latitude also has an identical CardBus slot. So I simply swapped the adapter over, and have used that to connect to the router instead. Works very happily.....the required ath9k driver has been in the kernel since, like, FOREVER. I'm posting from it ATM, in fact.

The point being that a plug-in wifi 'dongle' will do what you need quite happily. Even if you only use it to get the internal Broadcom adapter up-and-running, it's a useful thing to keep around, because you never know when you might need one...

Mike. ;)

Just a note for Jayne (and welcome)

It's

bcmwl-kernel-source
not

bcmwi-kernel-source

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Hi All and a good and prosperous New Year to you for 2024

I have decided to end my quest to install Linux on my old MacBook and have returned to the Apple OS.

It wasn't just the Wifi issue, there were lots of other things that just didn't work. I even ran Elementary 5.1 Hera as I'd read someone say they had installed it on the same machine as mine very successfully. But alas, even that didn't solve the many issues.

So for now, it's back to Mac. I'm not giving up on my dream of having a laptop running Linux one day. I'm not sure what the pull for this OS is but it's strong lol

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. They were all very appreciated.
Bailing out for now.
Jayne

If you should choose to try linux I can recommend a refurbished Lenovo Think Pad I use a T450 and t 400 here and they both work with Linux very well. You can get them quite reasonably priced. Look for ones with SSDs and 8 Gigs of ram.

Members online

Latest posts