Solved Cinnamon is on bootable USB stick, what next?

Solved issue

Emanate Presence

Reaction score
Credits
Should I be able to launch Virginia by clicking on the corrrect file in the folder, per screenshot?

Which file is it, please?

Screenshot 2024-04-06 124649.png

Should I be able to launch Virginia by clicking on the corrrect file in the folder, per screenshot?

you are inside windows on that screenshot. boot that usb stick you created. you cant boot linux from windows (without running it in a virtual machine, which is not what you want judging from the other threads you openend), you have to do that from the boot menu after restarting the computer.

you are inside windows on that screenshot. boot that usb stick you created. you cant boot linux from windows (without running it in a virtual machine, which is not what you want judging from the other threads you openend), you have to do that from the boot menu after restarting the computer.

How do I boot from the USB?

Everyone has been telling me to get to the Windows Bios, and that's what I did.

I need clear, step by step instructions.

I am trying to test out Linux from the USB which people have said is a great way to decide if a distro is wanted.

I don't know what a virtual machine is.

I won't keep opening new threads if I can get useful help on one of them.

Judging from the questions you are asking, you want ubuntu or mint. Flip a coin, mint is heads, ubuntu is tails.

It just doesn't matter with your experience level. You have mint running already, so go with that.

Take my advice. Just install mint and be done with it ;) You are putting WAY more time into this than you need to ;)

get to the Windows Bios
Just to clarify your terms a little... BIOS belongs to your whole computer, not Windows. It is installed by the manufacturer and stored on a chip on the motherboard.

BIOS and UEFI mean practically the same thing... they both include the basic "Setup" options from the manufacturer. There is an option in BIOS/UEFI settings to "reset to default"... but you often will need or want to change some of the default options (like Secure Boot, Fast Boot, and virtualization). Google for "BIOS" or "UEFI" to learn more about them.

Yes, please do not open a new thread for each question you have. We cannot follow conversations on the same topic like that. Everything right now is related to the same thing (topic)... that is finishing your Linux Mint installation on your new laptop. I suggest that you stay on the NOW WHAT? thread until you are successfully booting Mint. It sounds like you're close now.

Please be patient waiting for replies. The helpers here are all over the world, so about half of them are sleeping when you ask a question. And those of us who are awake don't sit here minute-by-minute waiting to help either. We all have other things to do too. Helpers are in and out all day, every day... so one person helps for a little while, then someone else steps in. It can be confusing, and it can sometimes be slow, so please take your time and be patient. Thanks! :)

Judging from the questions you are asking, you want ubuntu or mint. Flip a coin, mint is heads, ubuntu is tails.

It just doesn't matter with your experience level. You have mint running already, so go with that.

Take my advice. Just install mint and be done with it ;) You are putting WAY more time into this than you need to ;)
I did install Mint.

How do I boot from the USB?

Everyone has been telling me to get to the Windows Bios, and that's what I did.

I need clear, step by step instructions.

I am trying to test out Linux from the USB which people have said is a great way to decide if a distro is wanted.

I don't know what a virtual machine is.

1. Plug in the usb that you have Linux on.
1.-2 Restart your windows pc and pay attention to the splash screen.
It should show on the splash screen page what key to press to enter into your BIOS.
If you have trouble please tell us the exact make and model # of your windows pc so we can find the manual and specs online.

2. Upon a fresh boot up (while your pc is booting up) press the 'key" to get into your BIOS repeatedly until it takes you to the BIOS Menu.

3. Once in your BIOS Menu use your arrow keys to move to the boot section. Look for the order of the devices in the boot menu.
Make the USB that you have Linux on to be the first device in the boot menu.

4. Once your USB device is listed as the first device to be booted up in the boot menu Save and Exit. Upon Exiting your machine should boot directly into the USB of Linux. Wait for the distro to boot up all the way to the desktop.

Linux Mint is the easiest distro to boot to.

What version of Mint did you install?

And did you allow Mint to take over the entire disk or is this a dual boot with Windows?

It's what I call Mint Virginia, as that identifies it as distinct from the other Linux Mint.

When it came to the decision of playing with it or doing a full install, I went with wiping out everything and Linux is on the entire disk. It feels well.

Attachments

• IMG_2941.jpeg
    IMG_2941.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2937.jpeg
    IMG_2937.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2933.jpeg
    IMG_2933.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2931.jpeg
    IMG_2931.jpeg
    999.7 KB · Views: 39
Glad you got it installed...you have Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3.
m1212.gif

Letting the Mint installer install Cinnamon to the whole Drive is the best option...now enjoy.
m1203.gif

Well done.

Now that you have it installed, your next hurdle maybe to take a Timeshift snapshot hwich hopefully you can save to an external drive.
Do you have an external drive?, and what capacity does it have?
That will preserve what you currently have, so if something goes wrong, you can easily restore to that original point.

(btw......the usb stick which you used to boot from....keep it. Dont misplace it.)

If you need a hand to quickly set up Timeshift to take the initial snapshots, just tell us....here will be ok for now.

After Timeshift has been dealt with, it will be necessary to update. in the bottom right hand corner of your screen near the clock, there will be a small 'shield ' icon. it will have a tiny red dot on its right hand side......that dot indicates that there are Updates available.
One click on the icon will open the Update Manager and you will see all the updates.

Simply click on 'Install Updates'.....and go and get coffee/beer/something stronger.....whatever......it will be a BIG update to bring the system completely up to date.
DO NOT exclude anything.....EVER. Install the lot. if your internet connection stumbles in the middle of it....dont panic...the updater is quite brilliant....it will remember exactly where it is uo to and will pick up where it left off, perfectly

Need more?....call out...I am here for my day....probably the next 10 hours or so. If I am not around, those people in Australia etc hopefully will be.
Try not to digress too much. The setup process can be a pain, but it is usually our patience or lack of it that brings us unstuck. (that is experience speaking there)

It's what I call Mint Virginia, as that identifies it as distinct from the other Linux Mint.

When it came to the decision of playing with it or doing a full install, I went with wiping out everything and Linux is on the entire disk. It feels well.
Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia looks good.
Congrats on your installation!

Just to clarify your terms a little... BIOS belongs to your whole computer, not Windows. It is installed by the manufacturer and stored on a chip on the motherboard.

BIOS and UEFI mean practically the same thing... they both include the basic "Setup" options from the manufacturer. There is an option in BIOS/UEFI settings to "reset to default"... but you often will need or want to change some of the default options (like Secure Boot, Fast Boot, and virtualization). Google for "BIOS" or "UEFI" to learn more about them.

Yes, please do not open a new thread for each question you have. We cannot follow conversations on the same topic like that. Everything right now is related to the same thing (topic)... that is finishing your Linux Mint installation on your new laptop. I suggest that you stay on the NOW WHAT? thread until you are successfully booting Mint. It sounds like you're close now.

Please be patient waiting for replies. The helpers here are all over the world, so about half of them are sleeping when you ask a question. And those of us who are awake don't sit here minute-by-minute waiting to help either. We all have other things to do too. Helpers are in and out all day, every day... so one person helps for a little while, then someone else steps in. It can be confusing, and it can sometimes be slow, so please take your time and be patient. Thanks! :)

I can delete some of the threads I started now. Is that recommended?

I am grateful for all the useful help. Not all comments have been. I am curious but unconcerned about why I felt led by comments to open Bios, which I researched and found how to do, when what was really needed was to open the Boot Menu, two different commands. Was that an error of my misinterpretation?

Of course, I know this is a free and voluntary site, and I have no unreasonable expectations, just to not be misinformed or misguided.

And, thank you for the kind explanation.

Well done.

Now that you have it installed, your next hurdle maybe to take a Timeshift snapshot hwich hopefully you can save to an external drive.
Do you have an external drive?, and what capacity does it have?
That will preserve what you currently have, so if something goes wrong, you can easily restore to that original point.

(btw......the usb stick which you used to boot from....keep it. Dont misplace it.)

If you need a hand to quickly set up Timeshift to take the initial snapshots, just tell us....here will be ok for now.

After Timeshift has been dealt with, it will be necessary to update. in the bottom right hand corner of your screen near the clock, there will be a small 'shield ' icon. it will have a tiny red dot on its right hand side......that dot indicates that there are Updates available.
One click on the icon will open the Update Manager and you will see all the updates.

Simply click on 'Install Updates'.....and go and get coffee/beer/something stronger.....whatever......it will be a BIG update to bring the system completely up to date.
DO NOT exclude anything.....EVER. Install the lot. if your internet connection stumbles in the middle of it....dont panic...the updater is quite brilliant....it will remember exactly where it is uo to and will pick up where it left off, perfectly

Need more?....call out...I am here for my day....probably the next 10 hours or so. If I am not around, those people in Australia etc hopefully will be.
Try not to digress too much. The setup process can be a pain, but it is usually our patience or lack of it that brings us unstuck. (that is experience speaking there)

Thank you for your helpful comments.

In the install and setup process, I was given a tour of the OS, a nice overview which included snapshots. Also, it offered updates and I went with the whole of it.

I have nothing against alcohol or whatever people do themselves, and have grown stuff to experiment with relieving symptoms of Asperger's and misophonia. That was a one time deal. We don't drink alcohol, here in wine country where all our neighbors have vineyards and just down our short road is a room with wine making, but we abstain because we use a natural pain medication as this cold wet climate is hard on our arthritis. That dried powder from tree leaves doesn't go well with anything else in the body. It kinda excludes us socially, but we accept it as it is.

I am through the setup process, and looking back it wasn't so bad. It is the brainstory that generates from past experiences and fears of the unknown that make it more difficult than it needs to be.

I felt led by comments to open Bios, which I researched and found how to do, when what was really needed was to open the Boot Menu

We didn't know what the issue was. If your USB Port is disabled for booting in the BIOS, the F12 Boot Menu wouldn't have worked. So both answers were technically correct.

Also, it offered updates and I went with the whole of it.

Somewhere in the software update graphical user interface should be a button to install security upgrades automatically without asking. You want to enable this.

I am through the setup process, and looking back it wasn't so bad. It is the brainstory that generates from past experiences and fears of the unknown that make it more difficult than it needs to be.

Yeah Linux still sadly puts fear into peoples bones ;) But Linux 15-20 years ago and Linux today are two totally different things. Using Linux today, with distributions like Ubuntu and Mint, is about as easy (or more easy?) than Windows.

I've been using Linux for > 15 years and tried Windows 2 years ago and didn't get far. Always blue screened. I bought a macbook and hate it very, very deeply x) But it does have a command line with which I am familiar LOL

On a side note: Linux actually refers to the Linux kernel. Thats the software that communicates between your software and your hardware (as in when you download a file, thats the layer that communicates with your hard drive).

Ubuntu and Mint and so on are Linux Distributions, which means they are a Linux Kernel + a collection of software for a specific use case, in Ubuntu and Mints case that usecase would be to be a end-user friendly operating system.

Members online

Latest posts