Solved GOT BIOS, NOW WHAT?

Solved issue

Emanate Presence

Reaction score
Credits
Discovered on my own that first startup has to be interrupted by pressing Enter, then there's a choice to get the BIOS screen by tapping F1.

Got Bios, now what? How do I launch Linux on the USB from here, someone please?

Is there any security risk to my posting this screenshot?

Seems I remember years ago causing major issues by opening Bios, so I am quite cautious.

IMG_2924.jpeg

Got Bios, now what? How do I launch Linux on the USB from here, someone please?

startup -> boot order or something

Is there any security risk to my posting this screenshot?

no

Seems I remember years ago causing major issues by opening Bios, so I am quite cautious.

if you mess it up go to restart (or config?) -> set to defaults

you can boot the usb if you keep pressing F12 during startup. it'll show you a menu where you can choose the boot device

EXCELLENT NOW CLICK ON THE FIRST OPTION TO TRY MINT
it wont install just yet

no from your previous screen ,, I dont know what you have done but if you click on the new icon it will install to your machine and wipe windows in the process

I suspect you opened/clicked on OEM installation by mistake

no from your previous screen ,, I dont know what you have done but if you click on the new icon it will install to your machine and wipe windows in the process

EXCELLENT NOW CLICK ON THE FIRST OPTION TO TRY MINT
it wont install just yet

I clicked on the first option.

The screen changed and now shows buttons in the lower left.

Will one of those let me test Linux?

If the screen gets stuck, what is the safest way to exit?

just click things. we haven't written the installer so we also don't know "whats next".

what we do know 100% sure is that it will tell you LOUDLY before it will modify your disk, and then ask you for confirmation. just try things, you really can't break anything.

No guarantee for that of course ;)

just click things. we haven't written the installer so we also don't know "whats next".

what we do know 100% sure is that it will tell you LOUDLY before it will modify your disk, and then ask you for confirmation. just try things, you really can't break anything.

No guarantee for that of course ;)

Right. 'No guarantee' is heard.

Normally it's not bad advice to just try stuff.

It's how I learned DOS in 1982.

But, unless you're 70, just give it a few years and you may understand what I'm saying, for me the last two years with a move from California to the Azores, brought an amazing decline in my mental and body function.

I don't want to repeat all I've written elsewhere, anyway this is supposedly a Linux forum, but these times are a great opportunity for me to practice extreme patience.

Back to your advice, I don't have energy to learn by experimenting and fixing anymore.

That's why I'm on this forum, to get help as needed.

Getting these menus now. What does anyone suggest?

Is this Linux?

It gives a choice for exiting so I am safe there probably.

I would still like to see Linux operating.

UPDATE

D! This seems to be Linux! Menu scrolls down, and shows apps etc, I think this is a Linux screen. I am tempted to do a full install....
IMG_2931.jpeg

Last edited:
If anyone is going to help, now is a good time.

I get an installation type menu.

I can install Linux alongside windows

Or, erase disk and install Linux.

There are no files in Windows I need to keep.

As I understand, a dual boot means other complicated stuff has to be done, which is mostly conveyed here in Greek.

Stuff like firewall, partitions, I just don't think I can go there,.

I am not critical of the forum. It's really my issues.
IMG_2932.jpeg

OK YOU ARE NOW IN TEST MODE,
the lm symbol bottom left is your menu have a play, you can't hurt anything and nothing you do will harm your machine or the mint USB

If you want to install just mint then Or, erase disk and install Linux.
If you are asked about partitioning , let the installer do it for you

OK YOU ARE NOW IN TEST MODE,
the lm symbol bottom left is your menu have a play, you can't hurt anything and nothing you do will harm your machine or the mint USB
Thank you Brickwizard. I'm going too fast by necessity. If I don't do this now, it means shutting down and starting over tomorrow. I just don't feel the spark for that. At least I got the test menu.

Members online