BoostrapBudha

Reaction score
Credits
Peace, I hope you're well.

After work today I couldn't type my password to log back into my computer, I restarted it and it said something along the lines of "can't update because packages have not been updated" so in the command line I updated all the packages I could ass then tried to upgrade. I was on Linux Ubuntu 22.04, and now I'm on 22.10 Kinetic Kuu I believe. I feel like there was something wrong with the update and transition.

Now I see an error screen then it goes right to the command line, without the desktop. I searched for several errors and tried to clean things as much as I knew how, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place now. I have work tomorrow and I need to be able to get back to my desktop. I have a USB with the old version of ubuntu but I don't want to delete the files I have on my system now.

Please, if anyone can help me in any way if appreciate it. I'll cash the app 10$ to anyone who can help me fix this. I'll post screenshots of the error messages and my system info below. Gratitude in advance ‍♂️

is beyond end of object (length 0xc) (20220331/exoparg2-393)
[ 0.453271].ACPI Error: Aborting method \_s8.PC00.XHCI.RHUB.USR1._PLD due to
Previous error (AE_AMl_PACKAGE_LIMIT) (20220331/psparse-529)
[ 0.453381] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): AE_AML_PACKAGE_LIMIT, Index. (0x00000000D)
Is beyond end of object (length 0xc) (20220331/exoparg393)
[ 0.453391] ACPI Error: Aborting method \_SB.PC00.XHCI.RHUB.USR2.PLD due to previous error (AE_AML_PACKAGE_LIMIT) (20220331/psparse-529)
[ 0.631084] pci 0000:00:07.0: DPC: RP PIO log size 0 is invalid
/dev/nvme0n1p2: clean loop6: unable to read RDB block 8
[ 3.279315] Dev loops6: unable to read RDB block 8
[ 3.846915] ==============================================
[ 3.846935] UBSAN: array-index-out-of-bounds in /build/linux-3Zc9YS/linux-5.1
[ 3.846953] index 7 is out of range for type 'u32 [7]'
[ 3.847013] ==============================================
[ 3.847026] ==============================================
[ 3.847039]UBSAN: array-index-out-of-bounds in /build/linux-3Zc9YS/linux-5.1
[ 3.847057] index 7 is out of range of type 'u32 [7]'
[ 3.847102] ==============================================
[ 3.510853] Dev loops43: unable to read RDB blocks 8
[ 4.510853] Dev lop43: unable to read RDB block 8
[ 5.103361] ACPI BIOS Error (bug}: Could not resolve system [\_TZ.ETMD], AE_N OT_FOUND (20220331/psargs-330)
[ 5.103394] ACPI Error: Aborting method \_SB.IETM._OSC due to previous error (AE_NOT_FOUND) (20220331/paparse-529)
[ 5.2225559] Bluetooth: hci0: Malformed MSFT vendor event: event 0x02
[FAILURE] failed to start service for snap application canonical-livepatch.canonical.livepatchd.

----------
Error executing enable:livepatchd error: The platform Ubuntu 22.10 is not supported
-----
Livepatch is not available for ubuntu 22.10 (Kinetic Kuu)

Attachments

• 20221024_193013.jpg
    16.8 MB · Views: 258
Last edited:

Error executing enable:livepatchd error: The platform Ubuntu 22.00 is not supported

This is concerning. I'm not sure that anyone here will know. (In my defense, I only test the *live* daily images - so this isn't my fault.)

This does indeed look like something has gone haywire with the upgrade. I can't even begin to speculate, really. Did you have the Live Patch enabled before the upgrade?

There should never be a '22.00', as that simply doesn't exist and has never existed. It's 04 or 10, never 00.

If you do not get an answer here, it may be beneficial to ask at the Ubuntu official forums. You can try getting to your desktop with:

Code:
startx

Or perhaps:

Code:
dbus-run-session -- gnome-shell --display-server --wayland

You might also try disabling Live Patch:

This is concerning. I'm not sure that anyone here will know. (In my defense, I only test the *live* daily images - so this isn't my fault.)

This does indeed look like something has gone haywire with the upgrade. I can't even begin to speculate, really. Did you have the Live Patch enabled before the upgrade?

There should never be a '22.00', as that simply doesn't exist and has never existed. It's 04 or 10, never 00.

If you do not get an answer here, it may be beneficial to ask at the Ubuntu official forums. You can try getting to your desktop with:

Code:
startx

Or perhaps:

Code:
dbus-run-session -- gnome-shell --display-server --wayland

You might also try disabling Live Patch:

Apologies, the 22.00 was a typo, I tried startx and my screen went white and said something went wrong, I tried put in the other code you said to try and it says no such directory, and the option is unknown, did I type it correctly. Also with the live patch, I uninstalled and reinstalled it, refreshed it, for 2 tokens, and authenticated it with the newest one and it says the same thing.

Attachments

• 20221024_211758.jpg
    15.6 MB · Views: 233
Yeah, this oozes of an upgrade bug that someone didn't discover during the testing.

Also, you typed all that?!? I'm impressed!

Now, you're talking about some immediacy and not wanting to lose files you have. Worst case, you can boot to that live USB, and the drive should mount automatically so that you can recover any files on the hard drive.

This is why you should probably make a backup before upgrading, and/or keep regular backups.

So I can use the USB and keep all my files, how would I go about doing that? I believe I had Time Shift installed, I have to figure out how can I boot it from the command line.

Lol, yeah. It took me a while to type all that, I thought it would be easier to figure out the issue if I had the full error code written out.

Just boot to the live environment, open up file manager, and our existing disk should already be mounted. It'll look like a separate drive and you'll be looking for /home/<user>/your-files.

You can also install TImeShift in a live environment and restore a previous backup, but you will need to install it first. You can do that just fine in a live environment. Point it at the backup and restore it.

I'd suggest first recovering your files, just to ensure you don't lose them - should TimeShift go pear shaped on you.

That will not work, David, the GUI for Timeshift will fall over during the restore and the restoration will be compromised.

The OP would have to install Timeshift and run the restore from the CLI, which may work, or a better option is to use the Live Environment to download the .deb for the new Timeshift from here

https://launchpad.net/~teejee2008/+archive/ubuntu/timeshift

He can then either

1. cd into Downloads and issue the command

Code:
sudo apt install ./timeshift_22.06.6-0~202210160626~ubuntu22.10.1_amd64.deb

or

2. If you cd into Downloads and use sudo dpkg -i /name_of.deb , it may fall over because of missing a couple of dependencies, and it will invite you to use

Code:
sudo apt --fix-broken install

which will fix it, but you might as well use Method 1.

For more information on this issue, see my thread at

https://www.linux.org/threads/kinetic-kudu-possible-problems-with-timeshift-gui.42321/#post-172884

and I will soon have a broader picture issued at my Timeshift Thread here

https://www.linux.org/threads/timeshift-similar-solutions-safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

That will not work, David,

Ah, I was under the impression that the problem was only with the new version of Ubuntu and they have an older version of Ubuntu. So, I figured TimeShift would install/run with no problem.

It is only with the new, and he mentions 22.10 in the title. :)

It is only with the new, and he mentions 22.10 in the title. :)

Yeah, the salient bit was in the hard-to-read green text. "I have a USB with the old version of ubuntu but I don't want to delete the files I have on my system now."

I should probably put something about using colors other than the default in my article about asking good support questions. I'm partially colorblind but don't normally have too much trouble with green, but the green on black (dark theme) was hard to read. I suspect it would have been even harder for me to read on a white background.

Yeah, I just checked and it's harder for my eyes when in the default/light mode.

@OP, please note the above. In all my years of helping people online, I can't think of very many times that changing the text color helped make it more clear. Bold and italic can help. I sometimes bring emphasis to a word with asterisks. (E.g. I *really* like doing so.) At some sites, that will automatically turn the text to italics, which is fine by me as that's how I use it.

This post is basically for general information.

Unfortunately I got hit by this same (type of) error in an upgrade yesterday. Over 200 packages were pushed for Kubuntu 22.04. It basically bricked my system GUI - but I could use grub and get to a console and save the data. Here are the two errors:
#1 is ASPCI, which I had fixed before - but notice the end warning about being in "emergency mode." The logfile(s) were enormous and no help. Maintenance mode gives you a prompt - but no help, so - it's <ctrl>-D which gets to error #2.

I have no idea how many of these errors went by - at least two screens full
=========================================================================
UBSAN: array-index-out-of-bounds in /tmp/vbox.0/memobj-r0drv-linux.c:<range of numbers>:<range of numbers>
index <the numbers range 1-10> is out-of-range for type 'page *[1]'
UBSAN: array-index-out-of-bounds in /tmp/vbox.0/SUPDrvGip.c:<range of numbers>:<range of numbers>
index <the numbers range 1-10> is out-of-range for type 'SUPGIPCPU [1]'

Rebuilding the system to 22.04 from scratch went perfectly. As soon as I did the upgrade (this time with no intermediate updates) - same problem. I'm afraid I'm going to have to give up on kubuntu / ubuntu. This type of issue making it into production is not a risk I can afford - especially since it apparently happened before.

Attachments

• UBSAN_Error-2_sm.jpg
    UBSAN_Error-2_sm.jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 129
  • ASPCI_Error-1.jpg
    ASPCI_Error-1.jpg
    381.8 KB · Views: 107
This post is basically for general information.
This post is in a thread which is approx 12 months old, and thus will attract very little attention.

Open a fresh topic, please.

Last edited: