Can't get off 1st Base

Ricquant

Reaction score
Credits
This is a general observation. Linux will never be mainstream (maybe that is the objective). I have used Windows for 20 some years. Many years ago I dabbled in a unix system, so I have a general concept of a command line. I have tried to follow directions from several Linux distributions to verify an .iso and after 3 days I am unsuccessful. All directions are written by Linux experts, and that is the problem. They can't get down to the level of a person who is not already competent in linux or Windows command lines. It's a pity, because once upon a time I bought a preloaded USB and played with linux, and really liked it, until I ran into complicated gymnastics to do simple things like loading a program that was not in a depository. I hesitate to purchase a USB online for obvious reason; I want to go to the source of a distribution. However, I must give up. Now that win7 has been abandoned, there is an enormous opportunity for a company to develop a linux distro for average blokes like me, those who are comfortable as USERS (not biteheads). And there are a billion of us. Such an organization could really shake up the world. I'm waiting on the sidelines. Thanks for listening.

Hey there @Ricquant - thanks for joining up!

I think the main thing when you start to use Linux (or any OS) is to figure out what your main usecase is... most people these days can do 100% of what they want to do in a browser.. facebook, banking, uploading photos, etc..

What is it that you'd say are your top 5 things you expect from your OS?

Members online