Can I use my main pc for gaming and my new laptop for Linux stuff?

Reaction score
Credits
Sounds simple, right? Well. I kinda game more on my laptop ever since I got it 4 days ago. Actually I haven't even booted up my PC since then. If you are wondering I needed to get a laptop for a presentation in which I am making a 1:1 map of a small part my local area in a video game called Euro Truck Simulator 2. It is available natively but its map editor not. Any solutions? Oh and if you need to know. It is a Lenovo L340 Gaming laptop. i5 9300h, gtx 1650 with 8gb ram and a 256gb SSD with 1tb HDD. My pc is i5 6500, gtx 1070 ti with 16gb ram and 1tb SSD.

Get a thumbdrive and set it up to boot whatever version of Linux you are wanting to try. Then, boot off the thumbdrive and try Linux without installing. That way you should be able to see how your laptop functions, and decide from there whether you want to install it or not.

Once you have Linux bootable on a thumb drive (use Rufus on a Windows machine to do that) you'll be able to tell if Linux will run on your laptop.

To make the Linux .iso boot you'll have to go into the BIOS on the laptop and make the USB the first choice in the boot menu. Also, if your laptop is running Windows 10 your machine most likely is a UEFI machine so 'before you install Linux' disable the secure boot and quick boot in the BIOS.

If you do decide to install Linux on your laptop some installers will install alongside of the os that came with the laptop. If not you will have to shrink your partition to make room for your Linux installation.

https://rufus.ie/

Members online