can I directly boot to /dev/sdx?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anneranch

Reaction score
Credits
I can do "df" and "reboot -f" but

can I directly boot to /dev/sdx ?

On multiboot system, thus bypassing "grub"?

You can, but this is typically easier via the BIOS/UEFI. Usually there will be a boot menu.

You can also change the timeout value for grub. To set it to 0 then, if memory serves, you actually set it to -1.

Sure you can. Enter BIOS/UEFI, go to "Boot" tab and set boot priority #1 to be the storage device you wanna boot from. If grub is installed on another device, this will skip it completely.

Sure you can. Enter BIOS/UEFI, go to "Boot" tab and set boot priority #1 to be the storage device you wanna boot from. If grub is installed on another device, this will skip it completely.

In other words - I will be bypassing this "ubunu" - my current #1 choise - nobody can tell me what its function name is.

I need to try this, but will it work if I have a multiple OS on device?

I need to try this, but will it work if I have a multiple OS on device?
No, it won't. You can't boot directly to a partition, you can make your pc boot to a different disk, not to a specific partition within the same disk; 1 disk = 1 bootloader. You can change the boot order so instead of Ubuntu it boots to something else, you just need to edit /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Code:
sudo nano /boot/grub/grub.cfg
change the OS boot order, then update grub and that's it. Or, you can use grub customizer tool which is GUI to do the same

Last edited:
I've never had multiple OS on the same device, that's a very bad idea,...

Nonsense.

I have 12 on my 256 GB SSD, 32 on my SATA 2 TB internal HDD, and 24 on my Western Digital My Book 4 TB external powered drive, total 68 on the one system.

UEFI-GPT has no issues running these numbers.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

On the same device - doubtful. I've never had multiple OS on the same device, that's a very bad idea, so I really don't know.

Nonsense.
I have 12 on my 256 GB SSD, 32 on my SATA 2 TB internal HDD, and 24 on my Western Digital My Book 4 TB external powered drive, total 68 on the one system.
The only time it's a bad idea is to run multiple OSes on one disk is when you are trying to install Windows and Linux on the same disk since Windows doesn't read ext4 or xfs and GNU/Linux doesn't read ntfs during boot.

Again, not so, my friend, in my experience. :)

Purchased this Dell 2 years ago this month, with Win 10 on it taking up all of the 256 GB SSD.

Shrunk it by half, put 8 Linux on with it, and then blew away Windows to put more Linux on it.

Didn't have any problems with it while Windows was being forced to share the space.

Cheers

Wiz

put 8 Linux on with it
Put 2 or more different editions of Windows 7, of Windows 8 or of Windows 10 on the same storage device and then you'll see the problems I was talking about. :D Even 1 edition of Windows 7 and 1 of Windows 10 are enough to cause the trouble bc the same drivers will start fighting each other for dominance.

Hmm, this apparently didn't post last evening, so here it is anyway...

that's a very bad idea
I wouldn't agree. I keep Windows around for firmware updates and haven't had any issues due to that.

@anneranch: I guess you could write a script to modify the grub boot files to change the default OS to boot, and then call it using e.g. "sudo ./bootto.sh my-os".

Wow, my reaction - did some of you bother to read the post - and stay on the subject ?

The answer should be - no , there is no command to boot directly to OS .

And yes - it works better when you plug it in....

Wow, my reaction - did some of you bother to read the post - and stay on the subject ?

Like I said here, you can configure your pc so it boots to a desired OS of your choice by default, if you have more than 1 installed in the same disk, you just need to edit /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Code:
sudo nano /boot/grub/grub.cfg
change the OS boot order, then update grub and that's it. Or, you can use grub customizer tool which is GUI to do the same

You need a bootloader to boot the the system, even with Windows. With bios systems the BIOS looks at the MBR which launches the bootlader which than boots the kernel. With uefi systems UEFI looks at the efi boot loader which then launches the kernel, so technically with efi boot systems you don't need a bootloader such as Grub. This is AFAIK what systemd-boot does it launches the uefi bootloader, but most systems use Grub anyways. I haven't really used systemd-boot much so I may not be right on everything and I'm not great at explaining things but that's the basic idea of how booting works. So no you cannot boot directly to a specific partition using a command, but you can configure your bootloader to boot a specific OS by default as @Tolkem already explained.

P.S having an attitude when people take the time to respond to your post isn't going to help anyone.

Last edited:
You need a bootloader to boot the the system, even with Windows. With bios systems the BIOS looks at the MBR which launches the bootlader which than boots the kernel. With uefi systems UEFI looks at the efi boot loader which then launches the kernel, so technically with efi boot systems you don't need a bootloader such as Grub. This is AFAIK what systemd-boot does it launches the uefi bootloader, but most systems use Grub anyways. I haven't really used systemd-boot much so I may not be right on everything and I'm not great at explaining things but that's the basic idea of how booting works. So no you cannot boot directly to a specific partition using a command, but you can configure your bootloader to boot a specific OS by default as @Tolkem already explained.

P.S having an attitude when people take the time to respond to your post isn't going to help anyone.

So I have an attitude when I point out that most of the replies are off topic rambling ?
( some people just cannot face reality and always blame the user , easy way out duh )

Secondly _ I posted to help myself and not to educate others - they are free to ask their own questions.

And how do off-topic opionins are going to help "anyone" anyway?

So I have an attitude when I point out that most of the replies are off topic rambling ?
( some people just cannot face reality and always blame the user , easy way out duh )

Secondly _ I posted to help myself and not to educate others - they are free to ask their own questions.

And how do off-topic opionins are going to help "anyone" anyway?
You already had your answer in post #7.
No, it won't. You can't boot directly to a partition, you can make your pc boot to a different disk, not to a specific partition within the same disk; 1 disk = 1 bootloader.
As for being off-topic, the topic as you presented it was a question about booting and multi-boot. Your original question was maybe 2-3 short sentences, if you would have taken the time to present it a bit more thoroughly than you might have gotten better answers and less answers that weren't helpful to you. People responded based on what they thought you meant or were looking, responding with information about what you could do with grub as in changing the boot order etc. How much effort you put into something is how much you will get out of something.

As for the little discussion about difference of opinions about multi-boot, yes that was a little off-topic but still having to do with multi-boot/booting which, but people were still giving opinions with the good-est of intents. Lastly most people here are happy to help as best as they can including myself, keep in mind that communication is a two way street and not everyone's first language is English so miscommunication is bound to happen.

Last edited:
@anneranch if you could respond to my questions at #13 above they might provide some helpful information.

Thank you.

Wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online