Bluetooth disable on startup

johnlinux

Reaction score
Credits
I am using Debian Bookworm with XFCE and when I start up, bluetooth is active every time. Can bluetooth be disabled via the panel automatically on start up ?

bluetooth disabled.png

When I disable Bluetooth through the GUI and get the icon (shown above) with an x in the bluetooth, does that mean bluetooth is not disabled?

Because when I run the command sudo systemctl status bluetooth.service i see bluetooth active and running.

Because when I run the command sudo systemctl status bluetooth.service i see bluetooth active and running.

Do you want the service to quit running, or do you want it not to try to connect to anything.
The GUI doesn't disable the service.

But since you seem to already be familiar with the command line and systemctl.

Code:
sudo systemctl disable bluetooth.service
sudo systemctl stop bluetooth.service

...will totally kill it for you.

You can even remove the bluetooth daemon if you want to.

It's slightly different for different distro's (they don't all use the same packages)

But for fedora, you can do the following...

Code:
dnf remove NetworkManager-bluetooth gnome-bluetooth bluedevil blueman bluez ubertooth

your distro probably has something similar.

If it shows the service is running, then the service is running. They may be blocking it some other way.

If you follow the instructions, you'll kill the service and stop it from running.

When the bluetooth icon is disabled that means no bluetooth communications even though the service is still running. Correct?

I am looking to maintain no bluetooth communications after the system is rebooted. currently is I disable the icon and reboot it on startup the icon shows bluetooth enabled, the same as the icon I provided without the X.

This command tells you if BT is running:

sudo systemctl status bluetooth.service

The issue is not knowing if bluetooth is running. It is can I maintain the same state when I disable bluetooth then reboot.

Can bluetooth be disabled via the panel automatically on start up ?

Have you tried the Menu?

Menu - Settings - Settings Manager - System - Session and Startup - uncheck the box for Bluetooth starting at login.

Wizard

Members online