Back on Kali. Not by choice... (Resolved)

Freepoorman

Reaction score
Credits
Hi again everyone. I have been messing around with Linux for about a week now, because I need an operating system to create android apps in using Python 3. I downloaded and installed latest version of python in windows and when I ran python commands it took me to microsoft store to download it again, after downloading again from ms store python code would just give me syntax error.

I originally installed Kali on VM via virtualbox (Kali vbox file) to use for wireless network testing, I really enjoy the challenge of getting to know Linux, but after I realized I need a USB wireless adapter to do what i want, I decided to try Mint Cinnamon for an every day OS to learn Linux and Python at the same time... The only problem is that with Mint Cinnamon and Mate I get the "vmwgfx error failed send host log" This is likely due to me not being able to enter my bios to enable virtualization and Mint can't detect my Vega 3 gfx... my laptop got wet and I dried it out in the sun where it works only with usb keyboard and mouse, and it only picks up the keyboard and mouse once the boot process is passed the point where I can push the key to get into bios...

I've set up everything in Kali to the point where python is installed and I installed necessary packages using pip, so already I'm having more success than with Windows.

Before I continue, please tell me if I'm getting myself into more trouble than I'm getting myself out of by using Kali this purpose at my noob skill level? Also I think maybe the vmwgfx error could be a driver problem? In that case will Cinnamon Edge work? I have limited internet data, so I can't just keep downloading distros until i find one that works.... Kali works great though. Except when I'm editing text files I sometimes get an error when closing it won't let me save the txt file saying: "Error renaming temporary text file: Text file busy" Maybe someone has advice for this? I'll end up losing alot of work and time if I can't find a solution to it...

Anyway, thank you for reading this long post. I hope for any advice

...Except when I'm editing text files I sometimes get an error when closing it won't let me save the txt file saying: "Error renaming temporary text file: Text file busy" Maybe someone has advice for this? I'll end up losing alot of work and time if I can't find a solution to it.
So far the only thing I can do is copy paste to a file in windows host machine and then run pkill -9 -e -f "" to restart

This is the bane of my existence right now

Attachments

• 20240311_154423.jpg
    20240311_154423.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 256
it only picks up the keyboard and mouse once the boot process is passed the point where I can push the key to get into bios...
Running a Lenovo laptop, by chance? Their "Novo button" (on many models) would allow you to get BIOS Setup or Boot Menu without a keyboard interrupt.

Another way maybe: Try using a live Linux DVD... yes, DVD, not USB. Whether internal or external, a CD/DVD drive has a chance (not a guarantee) of booting first for you automatically. If you could boot and install LMDE 6 (Linux Mint Debian Edition)... it will provide an option on the GRUB boot menu to allow you access to your UEFI Settings. Not all distros will give the UEFI Settings options, but I'm looking at LMDE 6 right now, so I'm sure of that one. I think Fedora does too, but my current Debian does not give this option ... EDIT: Oops, yes, Debian offers the UEFI Firmware Settings option too. My bad.

Before I continue, please tell me if I'm getting myself into more trouble than I'm getting myself out of by using Kali this purpose at my noob skill level?
Most of us here would discourage any new user from Kali. I can't help with Kali, but the above ideas are just to try to help you get out of a jam with your BIOS... other ways to think of that problem.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply. I think I might go for the bootable usb or dvd option if Kali is too much. I feel like it's not really meant to be used as an operating system, but still better than windows

The USB usually needs your keyboard interrupt.... that's the trouble with that one. The DVD may or may not work. The new thing (I just learned) has worked not for me in several tests. Once in BIOS Settings, you can set your USB to be 1st in the Boot Order, and you can install anything you want.

I appreciate this, but unfortunately I get error: "Cannot indicate EFI to boot into setup mode: Firmware does not support boot into firmware." ☹️
Oh, that's a bummer. Sorry! I've just been testing that and it's worked very well so far. But all our systems are different, that's part of the challenge.

The USB usually needs your keyboard interrupt.... that's the trouble with that one. The DVD may or may not work. The new thing (I just learned) has worked not for me in several tests. Once in BIOS Settings, you can set your USB to be 1st in the Boot Order, and you can install anything you want.
Awesome! I've got alot of trial and error ahead of me.. Sometimes it can be the best way to learn

I appreciate this, but unfortunately I get error: "Cannot indicate EFI to boot into setup mode: Firmware does not support boot into firmware." ☹️
Hmmm, that's the error I get on an old computer I have that does not have UEFI. It's a nice trick (systemctl reboot --firmware-setup)... but it only works on Linux distros using systemd. Kali is based on Debian which uses systemd, so am I correct that your computer is also too old for UEFI?

Hmmm, that's the error I get on an old computer I have that does not have UEFI. It's a nice trick (systemctl reboot --firmware-setup)... but it only works on Linux distros using systemd. Kali is based on Debian which uses systemd, so am I correct that your computer is also too old for UEFI?
Maybe it's the VM "virtual firmware" that could be the problem. I'm on a ryzen 3 lenovo vivobook

All I will say is have you read the ,Kali docs, do not install 3rd party or any apps not in the Kali repository, you will at some point break the Kali installation by doing so

I appreciate your advice nonetheless. Thank you for taking time and making an effort. I'm getting along fine in Kali for now so it's not a huge problem, but I honestly couldn't wait to try Mint...

All I will say is have you read the ,Kali docs, do not install 3rd party or any apps not in the Kali repository, you will at some point break the Kali installation by doing so
Python was in the repository, so do pip packages count as 3rd party?

I'm on a ryzen 3 lenovo vivobook
Then you may have a "Novo button" after all.... you gotta look for it, or look in your manual for it. They are hard to access to prevent accidents. One Lenovo I have, it is a tiny hole in the side, and you need a phone SIM card tool or similar to poke into the tiny hole (when the computer is off). Another Lenovo I have is a recessed button that needs a fingernail to reach.

With the computer off, you trigger the Novo button, and it boots and brings up a menu to select BIOS Setup or Boot Menu.

You want to find this, if you have it! Seriously... it makes life easier with Lenovo.

Then you may have a "Novo button" after all.... you gotta look for it, or look in your manual for it. They are hard to access to prevent accidents. One Lenovo I have, it is a tiny hole in the side, and you need a phone SIM card tool or similar to poke into the tiny hole (when the computer is off). Another Lenovo I have is a recessed button that needs a fingernail to reach.

With the computer off, you trigger the Novo button, and it boots and brings up a menu to select BIOS Setup or Boot Menu.

You want to find this, if you have it! Seriously... it makes life easier with Lenovo.
I'm sorry I wrote lenovo. I meant Asus... I'm dumb

Staff online

Members online