Australia - The Land Down Under

We have 'roos like that around here. They're called "whitetail deer"! Tasty, but stupid.

If one crosses the road in front of your car, don't watch where it went. Watch where it came from because they travel in groups. But watch where it went TOO because they're stupid enough to turn around and try to get you again. And watch where you're going - after all, you -are- driving a car. The good lord gave you three eyes for a reason, you know.

A slightly different 'take' on the establishment of Australia.

Well, well, well.

This American learned of some of these things quite some time ago! I couldn't tell you specific names, but I do know that a lot of people sent to Australia were purveyors of human rights and progress.

I think it the time of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert? If so, that was quite rich considering Prince Alberts' stance as an Abolitionist and continuing slavery in the United States.

They're called "whitetail deer"!

Around here, they get over 300 pounds.

Then, there are moose. Those are 1500+ pounds and so stupid that I'm not sure how they're not extinct.

(They are all delicious. Kangaroo is also delicious.)

Meet the barefoot band of outback Queensland kids on a mission to start a junior cricket team​

ABC Far North
/ By Chris Calcino and Adam Stephen
Posted Sat 20 Apr 2024 at 12:32pmSaturday 20 Apr 2024 at 12:32pm, updated Sun 21 Apr 2024 at 1:13pm

1713833756937.png

Fire ants are a damaging invasive species that pose risks to livestock and humans.

I had a very brief encounter with fire ants in the SE part of the US. (They don't survive up here, thankfully.)

They suck. They hurt - and it's the kind of hurt that lasts for hours. It's not like being stung. It's like someone put a cigarette out on your arm. Well, not quite that bad.

I had good advice and washed the bites with clean cold water. It still sucked but that made it suck less.

Apparently the most effective treatment for eradicating them thus far is :

The baits are made up of corn grit soaked in soybean oil and are designed so that ants collect it and bring it back to the colony for other ants to eat. It'll then kill worker ants, larvae and the queen ant, before breaking down quickly.

It's safe for humans and pets.

A mix like that can be spread via plane....taking out a huge area damn effectively

ANZAC DAY. 25th April, 2024

Lest We Forget

View attachment 19516
Fire ants are a damaging invasive species that pose risks to livestock and humans.

1713938070132.jpeg
This ones good.
1713938140544.gif

Members online