ASUS Failed install of MINT - Cinn, Edge (but also Ubuntu 22.4-23.101)

ilessio

Reaction score
Credits
Good morning everyone.
I got a new machine that i need to use for my ML worflow and of course it arrived equipped with win11. I did a memetest and hardware test like i do usually on all machine and all seem to be perfect.

Hardware:
mb Asus ROG MAXIMUS Z790 DARK HERO
192gb ram
Intel i9 14k
Dual - 4090
Water cooling system with 3 radiators (full loaded 42 celsius max)
No usb attached or thunderbolt only the USB stick with MINT edge (i saw someone made to install it on this mb.)
2x NVme ssd gen4 4TB

As soon as the USB key load i get a small error right before GRUB but GRUB load.
Then if i choose to try/install the OS i get first out of memory..... then ...

[ 0.788557] /dev/root: Can't open blockdev
[ 0.789453] List of all bdev filesystems:
[ 0.789463] ext3
[ 0.789471] ext2
[ 0.789541] ext4
[ 0.789611] squashfs
[ 0.789680] vfat
[ 0.789751] fuseblk
[ 0.789821]
[ 0.789951] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
[ 0.789514] CPU: 4 PID: 1 Comm: swapper/0 Not tainted 5.6.5-9-generic #9-Ubuntu
[ 0.789534] Hardware name: ASUS System Product Name/ROG MAXIMUS Z790 DARK HERO, BIOS 0801 12/08/2023
[ 0.789553] Call Trace:
[ 0.789563] <TASK>
[ 0.789571] dump_stack_lvl+0x48/0x70
[ 0.789590] dump_stack+0x10/0x20
[ 0.789604] panic+0x1bb/0x3a0
[ 0.789619] mount_root.cold+0x1a5/0x350
[ 0.789637] mount_root+0x98/0x100
[ 0.789651] ? __pfx_kernel_init+0x10/0x10
[ 0.789666] prepare_namespace+0x6c/0x2c0
[ 0.789681] kernel_init_freeable+0x22b/0x220
[ 0.789696] kernel_init+0x1b/0x200
[ 0.789707] ret_from_fork+0x44/0x70
[ 0.789723] ? __pfx_kernel_init+0x10/0x10
[ 0.789731] ret_from_fork.asm_common+0x10/0x10
[ 0.789749] </TASK>
[ 0.789860] Kernel Offset: 0xe0000000 from 0xffffffff81000000 (relocation range: 0xffffffff80000000-0xffffffffbfffffff)
[ 0.789887] ---[ end Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0) ]---

Mem test performed with full 4 steps with zero errors.
I try Ubuntu also and it just stop at the out of memory for the 22.4 meanwhile 23.10.1 have same result of MINT.
I need to remove Win and go to Linux asap to use better use the 2 4090 that now i use in tandem with a workaorund on wsl2.
I want to be honest.... I installed a cluster 2 days ago and all went smooth then on a machine like this im stopped.

Other things i already try: I burn 2 other different USB stick (No Success) I removed Fast Boot from BIOS and also Safe Boot it on Other OS.

Please help.

G'day ilessia, Welcome to Linux.org

Have you disabled Secure Boot ?

What did you use to 'burn' the .iso to the usb stick

Secure boot set to Other os
Fast boot disabled.
I try Balena, unetbooting, Rufus.

I have not come across that setting......can it be disabled?

Balena etcher is a good choice for Linux.

Unetbootin has problems at the moment....I do not think those problems have been rectified, yet

If using a windows computer, rufus is good

I have an ASUS. Unless something has changed, I had to go into UEFI to either change the boot order or to show the boot menu on start up.

I'll just provide a comment in relation to Ubuntu's ISOs.

Your details are unclear; I gather you tried 22.04 (but didn't specify what 22.04 ISO, if it was an ISO using the older 5.15 kernel stack, 5.19, 6.2, or newer 6.5 - as you'll do better on newer hardware with newer kernel stack media; but can likewise do better using older kernel stack media on older hardware)

I also see you tested 23.10 (the .1 implies it was a respun ISO due to language issue; but I can't recall which installer(s) had that issue and thus which you used; as multiple ISOs were created that used different installers), but did you try the other ISO/installer?

If you have problems with one installer, others do exist (Ubuntu 23.10 Desktop for example used ubuntu-desktop-installer on the primary ISO, but was available using ubiquity on the legacy ISO should hardware not cope with the primary installer. The options in grub vary on the ISO being used (related mostly to the installer they call).

I'll just provide a comment in relation to Ubuntu's ISOs.

Your details are unclear; I gather you tried 22.04 (but didn't specify what 22.04 ISO, if it was an ISO using the older 5.15 kernel stack, 5.19, 6.2, or newer 6.5 - as you'll do better on newer hardware with newer kernel stack media; but can likewise do better using older kernel stack media on older hardware)

I also see you tested 23.10 (the .1 implies it was a respun ISO due to language issue; but I can't recall which installer(s) had that issue and thus which you used; as multiple ISOs were created that used different installers), but did you try the other ISO/installer?

If you have problems with one installer, others do exist (Ubuntu 23.10 Desktop for example used ubuntu-desktop-installer on the primary ISO, but was available using ubiquity on the legacy ISO should hardware not cope with the primary installer. The options in grub vary on the ISO being used (related mostly to the installer they call).
how can i get a 22.04 ISO with new kernel and new grub ?

From your previous post...

It seems to me that before you ask questions ISO's and kernels, it might be a good idea to begin with the boot order.

If you are using a computer with Windows 11, you do not have a BIOS based system. You have a UEFI based system. If you want to change settings in BIOS and if that option exists you (you probably don't) you will need to enter Legacy BIOS through UEFI. I can do that with my ASUS MOBO. From what I understand, most people don't have that option.

2nd, you need to change the boot order or change the settings to be presented with a boot menu on start up.

It seems to me that your putting the horse before the cart. If you can't boot into a different drive, ISO's and kernels are useless.

All Ubuntu ISOS are found at https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ at least for current ISOs including many testing or dailies.

Depending on what you're looking for, the ISO QA tracker (https://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/) can also be helpful too; whilst its focus is really for QA purposes; given the download & info links on most pages its useful as an ISO tracker too (though it'll point to cdimage.ubuntu.com mostly; other dated links from old-releases.ubuntu.com are pretty easy to work out though)

For Ubuntu 22.04.4 RC ISOs, they should be pretty easy to spot at the ISO QA Tracker given "Jammy 22.04.4" is how its listed; you then just progress to the architecture/product etc you actually want.

Older ISOs can be found at http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/

Ubuntu 22.04 LTS being a LTS release, the ISO itself controls the kernel stack included.

Ubuntu 22.04 LTS (original release) media defaults to HWE kernel stack for Desktop, GA for Server & flavors. It's the same for 22.04.1 ISOs too.

Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Desktop and now flavors default to the HWE kernel stack for 22.04.2 media; only the Server from this point on continues with the GA kernel stack.

If the 22.04 has the HWE kernel stack, the kernel found on media is

22.04.2 HWE is 5.19 (from 22.10)
22.04.3 HWE is 6.2 (from 23.04)
22.04.4 HWE is 6.5 (from 23.10)

(22.04.5 HWE will include 6.8 from 24.04 but no such media exists currently).

Each subsequent grub will be the latest found in jammy-updates at the time of its creation; ie. 22.04.4 ISOs will contain the current 2.06-2ubuntu7.2 ; however the options that grub uses vary on the ISO downloaded (ISOs can be used live, AND allow for installation, thus options to start the installer found on ISO vary depending on the ISO you download/use)

From your previous post...

It seems to me that before you ask questions ISO's and kernels, it might be a good idea to begin with the boot order.

If you are using a computer with Windows 11, you do not have a BIOS based system. You have a UEFI based system. If you want to change settings in BIOS and if that option exists you (you probably don't) you will need to enter Legacy BIOS through UEFI. I can do that with my ASUS MOBO. From what I understand, most people don't have that option.

2nd, you need to change the boot order or change the settings to be presented with a boot menu on start up.

It seems to me that your putting the horse before the cart. If you can't boot into a different drive, ISO's and kernels are useless.
Hello!
I can boot from the key that is 1st in the order.
The issue is at grub. Grub load with a small error that disappear in milliseconds then if you choose to install then I get kernel panic.

And I feel stupid because I just install a server for my lab and all went smooth with an hardware 4 times bigger….

All Ubuntu ISOS are found at https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ at least for current ISOs including many testing or dailies.

Depending on what you're looking for, the ISO QA tracker (https://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/) can also be helpful too; whilst its focus is really for QA purposes; given the download & info links on most pages its useful as an ISO tracker too (though it'll point to cdimage.ubuntu.com mostly; other dated links from old-releases.ubuntu.com are pretty easy to work out though)

For Ubuntu 22.04.4 RC ISOs, they should be pretty easy to spot at the ISO QA Tracker given "Jammy 22.04.4" is how its listed; you then just progress to the architecture/product etc you actually want.

Older ISOs can be found at http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/

Ubuntu 22.04 LTS being a LTS release, the ISO itself controls the kernel stack included.

Ubuntu 22.04 LTS (original release) media defaults to HWE kernel stack for Desktop, GA for Server & flavors. It's the same for 22.04.1 ISOs too.

Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Desktop and now flavors default to the HWE kernel stack for 22.04.2 media; only the Server from this point on continues with the GA kernel stack.

If the 22.04 has the HWE kernel stack, the kernel found on media is

22.04.2 HWE is 5.19 (from 22.10)
22.04.3 HWE is 6.2 (from 23.04)
22.04.4 HWE is 6.5 (from 23.10)

(22.04.5 HWE will include 6.8 from 24.04 but no such media exists currently).

Each subsequent grub will be the latest found in jammy-updates at the time of its creation; ie. 22.04.4 ISOs will contain the current 2.06-2ubuntu7.2 ; however the options that grub uses vary on the ISO downloaded (ISOs can be used live, AND allow for installation, thus options to start the installer found on ISO vary depending on the ISO you download/use)
I will try the HWE with 6.5 hoping it not panic.
Tnks a lot

Hello!
I can boot from the key that is 1st in the order.
The issue is at grub. Grub load with a small error that disappear in milliseconds then if you choose to install then I get kernel panic.

And I feel stupid because I just install a server for my lab and all went smooth with an hardware 4 times bigger….

I understand exactly!
Sometimes I get left and right mixed up. East and west is something that trips me up too.

@aiflowml

You are entering a topic that is not yous

Please start your own topic in the appropriate place.

Let's try to remain on topic and avoid confusing the original poster. Thanks.

Why Linux fails to load/install direct to HDD, common reasons
1] Corrupt download [check SHA sum]
2] bad burn to installation medium [try again] [if you used Rufus then try Balena Etcher]
3] Wind 8.2 and higher quick start/fast boot or secure boot not disabled [doesn't normally apply to older versions]
4] defective pen-drive/DVD
5] hardware fault,
5A] If old style HDD run integrity check
5B]if SATA SSD check for hidden partition at the beginning of drive [this will stop Grub from loading] and delete it before re-installing Linux
If M2.NVMe check, your system is NVMe compatible [not all older kit is]

Members online

Latest posts