Any of you familiar with these Ubuntu Studio issues, or alternatives?

Vimmer

Reaction score
Credits
Standard Ubuntu didn't really have any bugs when I used it recently. However, I decided to just install Ubuntu Studio as my only OS recently on my desktop since I will soon have enough songs put together to record my album, and it did the trick for my LP.

However, Ubuntu Studio has a pretty large number of bugs related to the windowing system. Here they are:

-When I get to the login, I can't enter my password. The screen freezes and my workaround is to enter the virtual terminal and reboot. Annoying.

-This is kinda rare, but sometimes my cursor just starts going wild...it will keep going backwards on the screen in graphical applications, and it has crashed the system at least once.

-Dolphin is just crap. For example, I have a Github repo folder in my home directory for the software I create...and I have to enter "Github" in the search bar for it to appear. This is just one of a few issues I have had with dolphin...

Like I said: it has something to do with the windowing system, because the terminal applications work just fine. I tried replacing KDE with Unity but it didn't work. Do you think maybe replacing X with wayland might help in this situation? I'm very open minded when it comes to this stuff, but I have contemplated switching operating systems because Ubuntu Studio doesn't even have a separate place online for bug reports. Do you know of any alternatives as a linux based studio operating system? Ubuntu Studio does do that part pretty well.

EDIT: Wow, I feel kinda dumb, that Github folder of mine was in a sub folder of home, which is why I couldn't find. This still doesn't change that I'm not a fan of Dolphin though.

Last edited:

Yeah, it's a good general purpose OS, yet I think I'm going to stick with this annoying operating system until my album gets recorded. I tried recording on Ubuntu only, but it was quieter even after I applied the compression from inside of audacity.

Luckily, I was able to fix the particular software issue i was having when i was frustrated and wrote that by downloading something else.

The Software managers in Linux Mint and Ubuntu have the same content

HTH

The Software managers in Linux Mint and Ubuntu have the same content

HTH
Well yeah, cuz they're both debian. However, installation and usage distro-to-distro is often a different experience.

Since your thread title includes "alternatives", I shall mention macOS. You probably know how widely it's used and how capable its programs are, and how deeply embedded it is in professional music, but unfortunately, it ain't linux :-(.

Since your thread title includes "alternatives", I shall mention macOS. You probably know how widely it's used and how capable its programs are, and how deeply embedded it is in professional music, but unfortunately, it ain't linux :-(.
Yes its very expensive, and they basically force you to do everything apple once you get started...

Standard Ubuntu didn't really have any bugs when I used it recently. However, I decided to just install Ubuntu Studio as my only OS recently on my desktop since I will soon have enough songs put together to record my album, and it did the trick for my LP.

However, Ubuntu Studio has a pretty large number of bugs related to the windowing system. Here they are:

-When I get to the login, I can't enter my password. The screen freezes and my workaround is to enter the virtual terminal and reboot. Annoying.

-This is kinda rare, but sometimes my cursor just starts going wild...it will keep going backwards on the screen in graphical applications, and it has crashed the system at least once.

-Dolphin is just crap. For example, I have a Github repo folder in my home directory for the software I create...and I have to enter "Github" in the search bar for it to appear. This is just one of a few issues I have had with dolphin...

Like I said: it has something to do with the windowing system, because the terminal applications work just fine. I tried replacing KDE with Unity but it didn't work. Do you think maybe replacing X with wayland might help in this situation? I'm very open minded when it comes to this stuff, but I have contemplated switching operating systems because Ubuntu Studio doesn't even have a separate place online for bug reports. Do you know of any alternatives as a linux based studio operating system? Ubuntu Studio does do that part pretty well.

EDIT: Wow, I feel kinda dumb, that Github folder of mine was in a sub folder of home, which is why I couldn't find. This still doesn't change that I'm not a fan of Dolphin though.
I have little experience with Ubuntu Studio, as I have little need for it.

Your issues appear to relate more to KDE Plasma, more than what Ubuntu Studio adds to the base system.

You do know Ubuntu Studio can be added to whatever Ubuntu Desktop (including official flavor) system you're using?

This maybe helpful - https://ubuntustudio.org/ubuntu-studio-installer/

You didn't provide release details (that I saw anyway), which do matter; so you'll have to read the appropriate section for your unstated release (as PulseAudio moving to Pipewire differs between main Ubuntu Desktop & the flavors, this has added complications that make it more complex with adding the Ubuntu Studio packages on top of the different Ubuntu Desktop/flavors).

FYI: You mention issues with the greeter/DM; which I assume is sddm. Have you looked for any crashes? ie. crash files in /var/crash/ , or clues in system logs (systemd journal for example; ie. journalctl).. If there aren't any; maybe just try swapping out sddm with another greeter.

I also wondered if your hardware was older? as I have noted GNOME & KDE Plasma require a little more of the GPUs than some of the lighter desktops, thus problems appear in those two desktops before others; and switching to a lighter desktop can actually make the system run much better (and avoid some of the symptoms you describe, though I'd look for clues on your system which you don't mention). My thoughts anyway.

I have little experience with Ubuntu Studio, as I have little need for it.

Your issues appear to relate more to KDE Plasma, more than what Ubuntu Studio adds to the base system.

You do know Ubuntu Studio can be added to whatever Ubuntu Desktop (including official flavor) system you're using?

This maybe helpful - https://ubuntustudio.org/ubuntu-studio-installer/

You didn't provide release details (that I saw anyway), which do matter; so you'll have to read the appropriate section for your unstated release (as PulseAudio moving to Pipewire differs between main Ubuntu Desktop & the flavors, this has added complications that make it more complex with adding the Ubuntu Studio packages on top of the different Ubuntu Desktop/flavors).

FYI: You mention issues with the greeter/DM; which I assume is sddm. Have you looked for any crashes? ie. crash files in /var/crash/ , or clues in system logs (systemd journal for example; ie. journalctl).. If there aren't any; maybe just try swapping out sddm with another greeter.

I also wondered if your hardware was older? as I have noted GNOME & KDE Plasma require a little more of the GPUs than some of the lighter desktops, thus problems appear in those two desktops before others; and switching to a lighter desktop can actually make the system run much better (and avoid some of the symptoms you describe, though I'd look for clues on your system which you don't mention). My thoughts anyway.
While i don't have time to worry about all these other details you bring up, i love it that you called adding UB studios benefits to any flavor you wish. I will look into it fo' sho'.