AMD AM5 Motherboard Graphics Options

dos2unix

Reaction score
Credits
I recently bought a new AMD AM5 motherboard, of course I have to get a AM5 CPU as well. In this case, I bought a Ryzen7800X3D.
It is an APU with a built in graphics card. The specs for the GPU aren't anything to write home about. 256MB. It's even slower than a Radeon RX570. But for word processing and browsing the web, it's generally fast enough. Youtube videos are notceably jerkier and blockier.

I am in the process of ordering a new discrete GPU, but I haven't done it yet. In the meantime, I have to get by with this.
But there is an interesting feature on this motherboard, my AM4 motherboard didn't have. When you are using the built in GPU on the CPU, you can take some of your system memory and dedicate it to the GPU.

For example if you have 64GB of DDR5 RAM. You can take 4GB ( I can use any value from 258MB up to 16GB ) of your system RAM
and assign it to your GPU. The price you pay is less system RAM. So now my system says it has 60GB of RAM instead of 64GB of RAM.
However, if I do something like...

glxinfo | grep -i memory

It says I have 4GB of video RAM now. ( not great, I know... ) but still much better than the default 256MB.
If you're expecting GeForce 4090Ti or Radeon 7900XT numbers you'll be severely disappointed. But if you need
an emergency video card to get you by for a while, it's not a bad feature.

I have the same on my Proxmox server because I'm using the onboard video chip on the cpu. What gpu are you going to get for your new system?

I not understand exactly what you want to do ...
You can configure some graphics settings in environment mesa settings.
About browser being slow try enabling and disabling "hardware acceleration" and even testing some browsers.
Browser doing slowdown not is exactly related with GPU.

I not understand exactly what you want to do ...
@dos2unix means they are using the integrated video cpu on the cpu for being able to graphical work loads on their system since he doesn't have a dedicated gpu. As a work around he configured his system a portion of his system memory as video memory, that way until he gets a dedicated gpu he will at least have a decent way of displaying graphics.

What gpu are you going to get for your new system?

I have been using GeForce for the last 3 or 4 builds. I've had good luck with them, but I'm leaning towards a Radeon this time.
I can't really afford a high end card right now, so I'm leaning towards a 7700XT or 7800RX. I like GeForce cards OK, but they just cost too much right now, and then there's the hassel of a 3rd party driver, I have to enable extra repos for. At least with AMD I don't have to worry about it.

I have been using GeForce for the last 3 or 4 builds. I've had good luck with them, but I'm leaning towards a Radeon this time.
I can't really afford a high end card right now, so I'm leaning towards a 7700RX or 7800RX.
I'm have an Nvidia RTX 3090 in my current desktop system, eventually I want to go to an AMD gpu as well. But as long as this gpu is working for all I need it to I am happy, I'm actually using this Nvidia gpu on Wayland now.

Last edited:
My other system has a 2080RTX Super, it's not bad. I was going to put the best card I had in this system, ( 3060Ti )
it's really about the same speed as the 2080RTX. But my dog ate my homework. Literally he chewed my card up bad enough it doesn't work. I just can't see spending $1200-1500$ for a card right now. I don't really do any high end gaming.

@f33dm3bits

"means they are using the integrated video cpu on the cpu for being able to graphical work"

I had figured it, but is as if him are trying to do other action.

@dos2unix

"I can't really afford a high end card right now"

You want to use GPU for what type of task ? If is only for video playback, internet and softwares not requiring much processing an good Geforce GT 1030 with 4 GB RAM is good for you.
Have much users reporting much problems using Geforce under wayland.
However user does much demand to Nvidia to fix wayland support.
The problem is so as BTRFS filesystem the wayland is an unfinished code.
Wayland coders are using users to report bugs and so doing mess and even wrong post about nvidia issues in some forums.

Nvidia driver support is much good. Nvidia support video card for more than 8 years. AMD not does it.
About price AMD are strange since first Zen CPUs.
Another strange detail is AMD GPUs for current consoles have colors with extreme quality and an similar GPU for desktop not has the same color quality. That color quality not is related with TVs.
How if for consoles AMD are doing GPUS with better work and not doing the same quality for PCs.
Another strange issue ... Much users say the current and previous RTX video cards not have exactly much better peformance than previous cards.
The problem is softwares not are being optimized to use that latest RTX video cards and so doing an strange not much better benchmark performance than previous video cards.

"At least with AMD I don't have to worry about it."
Really ... drivers are in kernel.
Kernel drivers for nvidia only being nouveau, but without cuda and nvenc support.
Also Mesa does the work. Nvidia driver not allow Mesa access video card. Nouveau allow it.

About devices not is simple an perfect solution for current PCs.

I seem to recall this feature being fairly common back in the day.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts