Also, today is Star Wars day (for a little while longer)...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Once again, I meant to post this today - as of yesterday. As in, yesterday I meant to post this today.

I get distracted easily, these days. I'm pretty much cat and other things are a laser pointer. But, I remembered!

Today is "May the Fourth" (as in May the Force be with you)...

So, geeks celebrate this day. I confess, I've only seen the (real) first three movies. I've never seen anything after that. I have no idea how many movies they have now, but I know it's a lot of media content.

I suppose some of us will already be on May the 5th... So, does that mean a fifth of single malt? If so, then for you folks on the other side of the dateline, may the 5th be with you!

Using Roman numerals.

I've only seen the (real) first three movies.

You've watched IV, V, and VI.

Then I, II, and III were released, and finally, VII, VIII, and IX.

Yeah, I guess they screwed with the numbering. So, I've only watched the first three (produced and released) movies. I haven't kept track of the rest.

Oh, I have seen the Ewoks movie. I saw the first two (of those I did see) in the theater.

I don't have anything against the new stuff, in theory. I just haven't made the time to watch them. Doing so isn't really a priority. I did upgrade the media room to Dolby Atmos (which probably won't matter for these movies) so maybe I'll sit down and watch 'em all over a weekend. There's a giant list of stuff I've never watched.

About a month and a half ago I recently watched all of them in the order they came out again including the most recent ones that came out.

With some investigation, I can stream all the Star Wars movies with Disney+.

Any suggestions about the order I watch them? I to IX seems the most logical.

I actually have a Disney+ account, though I've never used it. It's "free" with one of my cell phone plans.

I have Disney+, Hulu+, and ESPN+ with my phone plan. Combined, the membership costs would probably be about what I pay for my phone service. So, there's that...

I didn't actually want those services. They just suddenly gave them to me. They didn't raise my bill or anything. So far, I've only used the Hulu login. I used that to watch some Solar Opposites. I need to finish watching the rest of them. It's an amusing show.

So, I can watch them all. I'll have to set aside the time to do so. It's a low-resistance thing, so it could happen. I don't have to hunt down dubious streaming services, nor need I resort to downloading.

With some investigation, I can stream all the Star Wars movies with Disney+.

Any suggestions about the order I watch them? I to IX seems the most logical.

I actually have a Disney+ account, though I've never used it. It's "free" with one of my cell phone plans.

I have Disney+, Hulu+, and ESPN+ with my phone plan. Combined, the membership costs would probably be about what I pay for my phone service. So, there's that...

I didn't actually want those services. They just suddenly gave them to me. They didn't raise my bill or anything. So far, I've only used the Hulu login. I used that to watch some Solar Opposites. I need to finish watching the rest of them. It's an amusing show.

So, I can watch them all. I'll have to set aside the time to do so. It's a low-resistance thing, so it could happen. I don't have to hunt down dubious streaming services, nor need I resort to downloading.
I'd watch them in the order they happen in the timeline. Including Andor and the animated series.

I would watch them the order that they came out.

Hmm... It has been a long time since I've seen any of them. I suppose I could watch the first three (in the order they came out) without being bored.

Oh, today is Cinco de Mayo.

Which, as far as I can tell, is a holiday to remember the Great Condiment Wars wherein Spain was supporting Mexico but the Brittish Empire was not. So, Spain was sending Mexico a ship laden with various condiments but the Brits sank the boat off the coast of Florida. In order to remember the tragedy, they celebrate Cinco de Mayo to this very day.

Actually, it's Mexico celebrating a victory over the French in the mid-1800s.

Side note: Australia was the only place where I've had homemade mayonnaise. I have no idea if that's customary. It was delicious...

I have seen all 9 of the Star Wars movies that George Lucas created. I also saw the movie Rogue One.

I have not seen anything else related to Star Wars, even though we have had the Disney Channel for a couple years. My partner is not interested, and I am not motivated.

I noticed this helpful article when it appeared in the news a couple days ago. If you have a mild interest in Star Wars but have not watched all the shows, this article helped me sort out which movies and shows are which. The original first three movie releases that @KGIII mentioned (IV, V, and VI) are midway down the page.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/04/entertainment/star-wars-timeline-chronological-order-cec/index.html

Last edited:
I noticed this helpful article when it appeared in the news a couple days ago.

That might come in handy. I'd pondered attempting this during the upcoming weekend but, for the next few days, my afternoons are spoken for. While I'll be 'online', I'll be busy with some academic work.

It's a long story...

To be brief... Yes, I'm retired. No, my ties to academia are not completely broken. In this case, I need to weed through a bunch of scholarship applications for the upcoming fall semester at the academy. I need a secretary, or an aide, to do this sort of stuff for me. Maybe I can scrub the personally identifiable information and hand it off to fiverr!

Oh, today is Cinco de Mayo.

Which, as far as I can tell, is a holiday to remember the Great Condiment Wars wherein Spain was supporting Mexico but the Brittish Empire was not. So, Spain was sending Mexico a ship laden with various condiments but the Brits sank the boat off the coast of Florida. In order to remember the tragedy, they celebrate Cinco de Mayo to this very day.

Actually, it's Mexico celebrating a victory over the French in the mid-1800s.

Side note: Australia was the only place where I've had homemade mayonnaise. I have no idea if that's customary. It was delicious...
Cinco de Mayo is a big celebration here in Southern California. It makes no sense that everyone here is celebrating a Mexican battle victory over the French in the 1800s. In my opinion, it is more about a having a good theme for a party. People all around make and eat Mexican food today. Mexican restaurants put up banners and run ads on TV. The local newscasters go to events.

We have an avocado tree in our backyard. It's mid-afternoon, time for me to find a ripe one to make guacamole! Yum!

P.S. I put guacamole on my hot dog in a bun for dinner last night. I learned the trick at the famous Pink's Hot Dogs in LA. I know it sounds weird, but OMG!, it is delicious.

Even if you're old like me - take a chance, be brave and eat that hot dog. ... and try it with guacamole topping instead of the usual ketchup, mustard, and relish. ;-)

Cinco de Mayo is a big celebration here in Southern California.

I have actually celebrated the holiday in Mexico, in Mexico City. I ended up not feeling the greatest as I hadn't acclimated to the altitude. I still did my best to celebrate. (I've been south of the border many times, including numerous visits to South America.)

But...

P.S. I put guacamole on my hot dog in a bun for dinner last night.

Try like I might... I just don't like avocadoes. I want to like them. I just don't like the flavor. I've tried to eat it all sorts of times - and I'll eat the strangest of things. The list of things I've eaten is long and storied, but I just don't like avocado. I fully realize that that means I'm broken inside.

I have actually celebrated the holiday in Mexico, in Mexico City. I ended up not feeling the greatest as I hadn't acclimated to the altitude. I still did my best to celebrate. (I've been south of the border many times, including numerous visits to South America.)

But...

Try like I might... I just don't like avocadoes. I want to like them. I just don't like the flavor. I've tried to eat it all sorts of times - and I'll eat the strangest of things. The list of things I've eaten is long and storied, but I just don't like avocado. I fully realize that that means I'm broken inside.
My partner is not a fan, either, but there are other members of our family who enjoy them like me.

Sharing About Avocado Trees - No Linux Content - Can Be Safely Ignored:

We have two avocado trees in our backyard - the Lamb Hass avocado tree is finally yielding a small amount of fruit after about 7 or 8 years. Last year we planted a Bacon avocado tree to be a nearby pollinator for the Lamb Hass.

There are two major varieties of avocado trees, Type A and Type B. Both have male and female flowers that open on alternate days. The flowers open in one gender in the morning. The other gender flower opens on the alternate afternoon. The flowers open in matched alternating sets for the bees to pollinate them. Male A flowers and female B flowers are open at the same time. In a similar fashion, the female A flowers and male B flowers are open at the alternate time.

Don't ask me how flowering is coordinated between type A and type B avocado trees. Speculating wildly, I assume that avocado trees communicate using TCP/IP-over-pheromones. (My term ... I just made it up ... and heck yeah I will write the RFC some year on 1 April.)

In case anyone cares, the Lamb Hass variety is a type A, and the Bacon variety is a type B. The popular Hass avocado is a type A.

We chose the original Lamb Hass as much for its expected tree size as the quality of its fruit. Lamb Hass trees grow smaller than a regular Hass avocado tree. I planted the Bacon tree not so much for the fruit, but as a type B pollinator for the Lamb Hass.

The primary problem that we have with our avocados is the competition between us and the local squirrels and raccoons for when to harvest them. The fruit must stay on the tree a long time, and the critters like to nibble at them to test them for ripeness. If you harvest them too soon, they are flavorless and maintain the hard rubber texture of car tires, even after a multi-week ripening time on the kitchen counter. :-(

Last edited:
The fruit must stay on the tree a long time, and the critters like to nibble at them to test them for ripeness.

It's a long story that I've not really delved into, but I own a bunch (many, many acres) of wild blueberry fields. (It's a commercial operation.) It's estimated that 30% of the crop is lost to the furry woodland critters and birds. It's just something we factor in. With it factored in, you'll still average about 5000 pounds per acre.

Members online