Advice request

wookr

Reaction score
Credits
hi everyone I'm new here among you and I want to enter the world of Linux but I don't know which distribution suits me (for daily use)
knowing that I had some computer knowledge, many thanks in advance.

Hi wookr This is the rating of Disto by Distrowatch.
https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=ranking Slackware is in 2nd place , yet hardly anybody uses it apart from me and one or two others here.
Mint is high up for beginners . Do you like doing things manually editing config or just like click and go? You had some computer knowledge ? systems analyst , programmer or..

Thanks too much for the replay sir so gentle i will check those links

Last edited by a moderator:
let us know when you get to stage of thinking of installing and we will see what we can do to help

There is no *general* right answer.

But, there is a right answer *for you*.

The best choice is the one that lets you achieve your computation goals in a manner that you understand.

Nobody here can decide that for you. Nobody here knows what you like or don't like. We don't even really know what goals you want to reach.

My favorite distro is coming to an end. I'm a big Lubuntu fan (and I'll explain why momentarily) but they're converting to LXQt and my preferred DE is LXDE. (It's insanely fast on modern hardware.)

Why is Lubuntu 18.04 LTS my favorite?

1. It is in the Ubuntu sphere, meaning tons of support and software choices.
2. It can be made to look stunningly beautiful.
3. It's actually very simple to use and maintain.
4. It gets out of my way and lets me get my tasks done.
5. It's stable. I don't care about new and shiny. I care about it working as expected.

So, for me, Lubuntu is the right answer. My answer isn't going to be the same as your answer. You get to decide what is right for you. The only way to do that is to try them. You don't have to settle on a single distro at first. You get to poke around, learn, grow, and change your distro as often as you want to.

And that's one of the things that makes Linux great...

As @KGIII mentioned, we can't say "Use X" unless we know a little bit about what you want to do. This means that we'd like to know your system information (e.g. what make, model, processor, how much RAM, how much storage...). Also, if you are planning to use Linux for coding, you may want a different distro than if you wanted to use it for mixing audio.

There is no *general* right answer.

But, there is a right answer *for you*.

The best choice is the one that lets you achieve your computation goals in a manner that you understand.

Nobody here can decide that for you. Nobody here knows what you like or don't like. We don't even really know what goals you want to reach.

My favorite distro is coming to an end. I'm a big Lubuntu fan (and I'll explain why momentarily) but they're converting to LXQt and my preferred DE is LXDE. (It's insanely fast on modern hardware.)

Why is Lubuntu 18.04 LTS my favorite?

1. It is in the Ubuntu sphere, meaning tons of support and software choices.
2. It can be made to look stunningly beautiful.
3. It's actually very simple to use and maintain.
4. It gets out of my way and lets me get my tasks done.
5. It's stable. I don't care about new and shiny. I care about it working as expected.

So, for me, Lubuntu is the right answer. My answer isn't going to be the same as your answer. You get to decide what is right for you. The only way to do that is to try them. You don't have to settle on a single distro at first. You get to poke around, learn, grow, and change your distro as often as you want to.

And that's one of the things that makes Linux great...
many thanks bro for y contribution

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts