Advice on what system to go for as just a DeskTop operation

"MrMod, atanere,"

You are making me do thingys that I am not accustomed of doing? THINK!! BAG! In my quote of your message below you talk about four (4) partitions and list only three (3). That is NOT really an issue, by using my Ease US PM software and "Wiping" any partition that is NOT related to Windblows (Microsoft Windows) requires any installer to create only those partitions it needs for that particular install.

Understand, please, I am not just a dumb user doing dumb things, I do have a working knowledge of much of any software. Just have a problem with knowing what the path should be as required to insert a command for a particular install or feature of said install. Do you know what BTOS is? Boroughs Task Operating System, not going into any details on this but that is where my learning started and took only about three (3) months to have that system up and fully operational.

I now have "Larry" (531s) operational and setup some of the requirements for internet access. Just need a copy of Mozilla's FireFox for that system, Google Chrome has been removed mostly for security reasons. If you would like I can get another photo of the partitioning of that drive as it stands now.

Your photo seems to show that you have 4 partitions set up as Linux already (Ext2/3/4). Here is a guess, and only a guess... when you run the PCLOS install and you get to the partitioning screen, you may have to CLICK on one of those red partitions (Ext2/3/4) and then choose the "Use existing partitions" option, the first choice. It MAY have said there was not enough space simply because you did not choose a space. I'm not familiar with the PCLOS installer, so again I only offer this as a guess. All 4 of those partitions look large enough (about 20GB each) to hold the PCLOS system, but none of the 4 partitions are marked in dark blue (as shown in the other options below, where the installer PLANS to put PCLOS).

"MrMod, atanere,"

That had been done many days ago and for some reason it has never taken place as selected. Also have saved that very page several times and they still do not show up. I have just done the very same thingy again just now.

Instead, check out just "Preferences" (the one above Alert Preferences) and look in the "Options" sections. The first item, "Automatically watch threads..." has a checkbox below it to receive email notifications of replies. Be sure to scroll down and check the "Save changes" button too.

I need to check into "MrPicky's" advice to start one item in a new thread and do not remember what it was about. Now on a hunt for this item.

"MrMod, atanere,"

I is in your #27 post message about SD cards. Will look into this at this time. I also feel that most of what is going on now in this thread is getting to be REDUNDANT.

With care (and a large SD card), I think you could install multiple Linux distros on it, and you would also set a common /home partition that each distro would share. This would be more commonly done on a large USB external hard drive though, and then you could take it from computer to computer and always run your own OS'es as long as the computer would boot on it. I would also use simple partitioning methods to try this... no encryption and no LVM's... just simple ext4 format that all distros should easily work with.

Again, @wizardfromoz will know much more about multi-booting in this manner than I do, and this would make for a good new thread topic.

In closing may I say, "THANK YOU one and all that have posted to this thread and excuse me for multiple posts between those HELPFUL posts from the STAFF of this FORUM. Do not know about you, but; I have really enjoyed this experience. THANK YOU to one and ALL!!

OK, sorry I was not more helpful. Glad that "Larry" (531s) is now operational, and wishing you the best as you return to the Linux family! :D

Cheers!

"MrMod, atanere,"

Look-up the definition of 'sorry' there are some different understandings. I feel the more appropriate use in this case is 'apologize' for what you persieve as inadequate assistance. THAT is NOT the case in this THREAD. You have learned much, "Etched" as an example, I have gained much more by understanding these distros and working with several. I must give credit where it is due, "MrWhiz:" of Australia better known as 'wizardfromoz' even
"Lazydog" in that short visit also added. I contributed by not knowing much about these new distros and asking. Again, a very large "THANK YOU" to everyone that donated their thoughts and time to my requests.

OK, sorry I was not more helpful. Glad that "Larry" (531s) is now operational, and wishing you the best as you return to the Linux family

I doubt that that is a problem, friend. We understand. But consider the following, drafted during my afternoon, and prior to my reading the above Post:

WIZARD’S GLOSSARY

EXT … The Extended File System Linux (& BSD) partitions are formatted to (in comparison to Windows’ NTFS & FAT32). Has its origins under the Minix OS which predates Linux by around five (5) years, released in 1987.

Currently still in use are the following:

• Ext2 – released in January 1993 (according to kernel.org, although Wikipedia have it as April 1992)

• Ext3 – release date not known to me, referenced 1998 and 1999, merged with the mainstream Linux kernel in November 2001

Ext3 was notable for being the first “journaled” file system format, which provides a more robust environment for data recovery and system stability following an unclean (re)boot

• Ext4 – released Christmas Day 2008, is also journaled

Other file systems utilised in Linux include but are not limited to – ReiserFS, JFS, and XFS. The higher the number of the Ext system, the better the performance, the less CPU power utilised (Ext3 on) and the more Terabytes/Tebibytes suported, both in volumes and file sizes.

Sources include wikipedia.org, opensource.com and kernel.org

@LxCeeAB:

In my quote of your message below you talk about four (4) partitions and list only three (3).

See the following screenshot, which you will recognise as yours in origin.

NdoIPDy.png

The orange rectangles are identified by the DrakX Partitioning Wizard that is incorporated into a PC Linux OS install … as being Linux. It further describes them as being Ext2/3/4, which is explained above, as being the file system format.

atanere was referring to that format, rather than the number of partitions. Hope that clarifies matters?

The size of the actual (4) Linux partitions is not revealed, unless mousing over them tells otherwise?

...by using my Ease US PM software and "Wiping" any partition that is NOT related to Windblows (Microsoft Windows) requires any installer to create only those partitions it needs for that particular install.

I would suggest NOT wiping partitions until we have a better understanding of your partition setup as dictated by your Windows install, but if that is already effected, so be it.

The “clearer picture” I refer to would be enhanced by your provision of what I referred to earlier, https://www.linux.org/threads/advic...t-a-desktop-operation.12737/page-3#post-44831 , with a screenshot from within Windows, either using your EaseUS Partition Master, or the Windows Disk Management Tool, and captured via the Windows Snipping Tool as a very clear picture.

In any event, that is your call, and as you seem to be happy to wind up this Topic (and I note your new one), then I second atanere in hoping all goes OK :);).

Wiz

"MrWiz, wizardfromoz,"

From the start of my attempts to install; Ubuntu, a failure due to freezing on screen: several other distros later leaning they were derivatives of Ubuntu had several partitions from each included and still on my H/D. That is what prompted me to use "Ease US Partition Master" to rid my system of multiple, believed by me to be unusable partitions. Even that last one, PCLOS, was not able to complete an install, because; it did not have the needed room. I decided to keep the "Windows" partitions and WIPE the others so PCLOS could find plenty of needed space. That is what gave me a system that could be used and "Windows" was never touched. At least not until my first boot after the install completed into "Windows" so Linux could run the 'chkdsc' from a command prompt to confirm that other system was AOK!

That photo, my H/D. still only shows two (2) partitions, from my point of view BLUE (Windows) and RED (Linux) with a GREEN 'swap' (usage unknown to me) and ORANGE (XFS presumably Linux) not shown on the top line for the H/D. That is how I looked at that picture and understood what I was seeing. "ext2/3/4" are all that were identified in his message they were not id'ed separately in the line showing how the H/D was setup. At that time when the photo was taken PCLOS was reporting it needed an additional 2.1g and the only way I could find that was to WIPE the RED partitions because it appeared to me there was some software from previously failed installs that was being seen by PCLOS and could not complete the install. That done was all needed to finish and go operational.

That link referencing the 'must read' from your first lengthy post was done and that is when I decided to use my partitioning software. Later with info given by "MrMod (atanere)" learned the actual title of the partitioning software provided by Microsoft and it was located, but; not used.

I understand you feel frustrated because I did not follow your instructions exactly and made my own decisions on how to handle the situation. May I apologize to you for not explaining better what and how I decided to go with the install. "YOU MrWiz" have been very HELPFUL as well as "MrMod, (atanere)" far more than I can explain.

Last edited:
I understand you feel frustrated because...

Not at all. If it appeared so, it was poor wording on my part, I have Asperger's Syndrome amongst other disorders, and sometimes phrase things inappropriately.

My error too, above - for instances where I said "orange" I should have said "red".

The line commencing Ext/2/3/4 and featuring the orange XFS is a legend only. You do not have XFS on your system. It is likely the orange partitions are/were Ext4 as that is the industry standard, we can nail that down should there arise a need.

I have a road trip, back in 24. Good luck with your new Linux ;)

Wiz

I also feel that most of what is going on now in this thread is getting to be REDUNDANT.

Hi guys,

I am back in 12-hour-shift-work mode again, so that will keep my replies few and far between for awhile. But I do agree with @LxCeeAB that this thread is about ready to idle down now. Earlier my phrase was "jumping around"... but we really have covered a lot, and actually probably too much, for just a single thread.

So, how about we take a deep breath, regroup, and then resume as needed? I see the new thread already about SD card installs, and I'll try to add a comment there shortly. Any topics already discussed in this thread (screen freeze, distro choices, partitioning options, email notifications, etc, etc) can be re-opened as new threads. Maybe if we can isolate these (or new topics) into separate threads and stay on topic better, it will not cause so much confusion. I know that it's difficult for me, and I get confused trying to look back so far to follow a discussion. Staying focused and on topic better will likely also help to narrow down solutions quicker for each issue.

But for now... it's beer, then bed. G'nite. :D:D

"MrPicky, Whizy,Wiz, wizardfromoz,"

I like giving and using special names for people, not in any way to insult, as gesture of friendliness. Also understand "Asperger Syndrome," do not agree with the title of 'disorder' that is a "feature" we need to live with, feel it is somewhat the same in my case, maybe a lower order than most, not officially diagnosed. Have read much and watched videos on that topic, having lived with this "SOB" (Sailor On Board) for so many years with dealing with many unusual traits, ups and downs we all need to deal with ourselves as much or more so than with others.

NO ONE can put any pressure upon me except this person, and I did do just that, wanting to get my system up and operational ASAP! Attempted to rush and that caused some of the problems I had to deal with. I always attempt to take the blame as well as responsibility for my errors and issues.

"MrMod, atanere,"

DO NOT allow any postings by me interfere with other responsibilities you have, like a 'JOB.' I agree with, "regroup" and move on. DONE! THANK YOU sll for all of the assistance, until ...

Lazydog,

Thank you for this information, do not know if you have read from the start of this thread or not, I take any HELP that can be posted. A short note, I am self taught and do not know everything, but; have been able to do things even Microsoft would not touch, of course this is all in Microsoft software of my self learnings, with some in Unix and Linux over twenty (20) years ago.

This will be added to my personal notes and saved.

Glad I could contribute to the cause. :)
I too am self taught. There is something to be said about self taught people, they take the initiative. ;)

Members online