Solved Advice on choice of Linux for Lenovo laptop

Solved issue

williamspencer

Reaction score
Credits
Good day all

My first post so i shall try and do things correctly.

Background
I have been using linux for many years and although I would not put myself in the "Expert"
category, I am able to find my way around linux.

Current usage
I have a few VPS servers based on Ubunto 20.04 and 22.04 server where I am running Open source
ERP software called ERPnext.. I also have many Raspberry pi's running Rasbian in various functions.
( workstation , network monitoring, 3D printing etc )

problem
I try and use linux where possible and in line with that, I have a Lenovo laptop which is currently running Win 11
which I want to transform into a dual boot win / linux. It is a Lenovo Ideapad 3, Intel core i5, 8 G Memory,
1TB disk, Integrated Iris Xe Graphics. Windows 11 Home 64.
a Long time ago when I was still young and attractive, I did plenty of dual-boot installations but those were the days
before laptops. ( Now I have given away my age !! ), but the hardware has changed somewhat.....
I have been in contact with Lenovo and they seem to suggest that I would be able to install Linux on this machine.

I found some nice material with regards to installation of linux on a laptop on this forum. But I was wondering if
there is a particular distro that anyone could suggest ?
The purpose of the machine is to do video work using OBS and also video conferencing ( Meet, Zoom etc ) and also
just general office stuff ... libre open office etc.

Thank you for your time

Welcome to the forums
is the machine under 2 years old? If so I would suggest you first try, MX-Linux AHS as it has about the best selection of up-to-date drivers available https://sourceforge.net/projects/mx-linux/files/Final/Xfce/MX-21.3_ahs_x64.iso/download
if the machine is over 2 years then try any you like the look of, whatever you choose you may have to install non-free drivers for wi-fi and graphics [component dependent]

Welcome to the forums
is the machine under 2 years old? If so I would suggest you first try, MX-Linux AHS as it has about the best selection of up-to-date drivers available https://sourceforge.net/projects/mx-linux/files/Final/Xfce/MX-21.3_ahs_x64.iso/download
if the machine is over 2 years then try any you like the look of, whatever you choose you may have to install non-free drivers for wi-fi and graphics [component dependent]

Thank you very much for taking the time. Yes, the machine is very new. Purchased in Feb 2023. So ... just had it for a few months.
Let me pursue this, firstly by running of a thumb-drive and testing.

Appreciate your assitance.

Members online