Solved About to try Linux, but there's no driver at Epson for my ET 2760. Help!

Solved issue

Polliwog

Reaction score
Credits
Preparing to install Linux Mint; I have media on a thumb drive ready to install. However, I stopped when I found Epson does not support Linux for my ET 2760 ink jet. Didn't expect that at all. I thought that Linux support had grown to be substantially universal.

I've got several dependencies currently tied to that printer, so replacing that is not an option.

I've seen a couple of blurbs on-line about ET 2760 print and scan drivers that are supposedly "step by step" instructions. Sadly, the instructions are rather opaque, appear to be fragmentary, assuming knowledge and experience I don't yet have and not very promising, at least for me. I don't mind starting at the bottom rung of the ladder, but I will need an early resolution of the printer/scanner issue to stay in business.

Any help would be appreciated. Pretty please!

@Polliwog :-

Welcome to Linux.org!

Now then; EPSON drivers'n'stuff, huh? Well, for starters, the Epson website is the very last place you should look for Linux items. Epson DO support Linux, despite protestations to the contrary, but all their Linux stuff is kept in a totally different place.....and of course, it helps to know where.

Go here:-

http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/search/01/search/searchModule

In the "Enter product name" field, enter ET-2760. And in the "Operation system" field, select 'Linux' via the drop-down list. Then, just click on the wee magnifying glass, et.....voila!

Grab the drivers ya want, then we'll figure the rest of it out after you've done that. OK? Just follow the pages through; accept the licence agreement, then you'll want the amd64 .debs once the packages become visible. And grab the "all-in-one" package for the scanner. You used to have to install a separate data package, followed by the scanner driver proper, but it's been combined into a single item these days.

Nearly 40 years of using Epson printers has taught me a thing or two....y'know? :p

Printers aren't hard in Linux....just a bit different to how things are done in Windows, that's all. And fortunately, Epsons are among the easier ones to deal with.

Hang in there!

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
Grab the drivers ya want, then we'll figure the rest of it out after you've done that.
yep it took me a while to get my Epsom working, finding the right dependencies and installing, But it now runs great and the photo printing is better on hi-gloss deluxe paper than my HP photosmart use to be,

What Mike said...just remember to install the Drivers first before the Print/Scanner.
m1213.gif

A few months back I installed my new Epson Print/Scanner first and all I got was blank pages...not good.
m1502.gif

I got was blank pages...not good.
Yep that was one of my problems, it was a dependency thing, what i had to do was uninstall the Epsom drivers, install lsb [ still used by Epsom but no longer in general use so not available in all distributions] which I downloaded the .deb package from [link below], install lsb THEN install the Epsom print packages [separate scan and print packs as at the time the combi pack was not available for my printer] connected the printer and all was fine.
link for lsb.. https://pkgs.org/download/lsb

lsb ..?....stands for ?

lsb [ still used by Epsom but no longer in general use so not available in all distributions] which I downloaded the .deb package from [link below], install lsb

I didn't do that...I just downloaded the Drivers...installed them and then the Printer/Scanner...much easier than it was 5 years ago.
m1212.gif

Any help would be appreciated. Pretty please!
It is now much easier for you as you have a Debian based distro,

.much easier than it was 5 years ago.
Bob, I only installed mine a couple of months back, the all-in-one package did not work for my new printer

lsb ..?....stands for ?
@Condobloke :-

As Brickwizard says, Brian, it's not in common usage any more.....but Epson are one of the few 'hold-outs' that still make use of it.....probably due to certification issues. It was an attempt to standardize certain things across multiple distros:-

Linux Standard Base

They quit updating the standard in 2015, and in February this year one former maintainer declared the project was "essentially abandoned".

Mike. ;)

Bob, I only installed mine a couple of months back, the all-in-one package did not work for my new printer

Me too...I downloaded each Driver separately...5 years ago you got windowz drivers on a Disk. When I opened the box no Disk...of cause the windowz Disk is usless for Linux but the poor darling windowz users will have to do what we have done for years ha ha ha.
m01100.gif

Finally got a chunk of time yesterday evening and went ahead with installing Mint; lengthy, but simple. When I got to printers, I learned that the drivers I downloaded, thanks to Mike Walsh, were already in place. A bit of an adaptation of the generic driver, it seems, which is what makes installation a bit obscure.
A bit of diddling and now I've got print (Ta Daaaah!) and I've got scan (Boom!).
Thanks, Mike and everyone.

...and I've got scan (Boom!).

Was that good boom as in it works, or a bad boom as in it doesn't?

If good, or when it is resolved, if you go to your first thread, above it click (near top right) ... and down caret, and choose to edit thread to solved.

nYSKHvh.png

Cheers

Wizard

@wizardfromoz :-

If ya know Brits at all, Wiz, "Ta-daaa.....Boom!" dates back to the days of music-hall, even before the silver screen really got going. It was always a positive, up-beat way of finishing off a joke, or a sketch. It's passed into the language as a "saying", LONG since.

Mike. ;)

Was that good boom as in it works, or a bad boom as in it doesn't?

If good, or when it is resolved, if you go to your first thread, above it click (near top right) ... and down caret, and choose to edit thread to solved.

nYSKHvh.png

Cheers

Wizard
Thanks, I've got it.
Edit done.
Good result from good advice. Fireworks to celebrate.