Purchase Linux CDs / DVDs / Flash Drives at OSDisc.com

Welcome to Our Community

While Linux.org has been around for a while, we recently changed management and had to purge most of the content (including users). If you signed up before April 23rd, 2017 please sign up again. Thanks!

4k video editing

Discussion in 'Linux Audio / Video' started by Larry123, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Larry123

Larry123 Guest

Hello:

I have some 4k video footage that I wish to edit with color grading. A few transition and 16:7 aspect ratio for the film look.
    I don't have a very fast computer but I am hoping to achieve my goal with limited resources.
    My laptop spec:
    Intel Quad-Core Pentium N3540 (2.16GHz), 8GB DDR3L (1066MHz) RAM, 750GB drive(5400 rpm), Graphic card: Intel UMA

Additional accessories:
    USB 3.0 128gb flash drive
    USB 3.0 240gb external hard drive

Will it work for 4k video editing using my low-end laptop?
    Which Linux video editing software uses least resources?

I will be installing ubuntu to my laptop if the above setup is workable.

I would be appreciated if any expert can help me out here.

Thank you.

#1 Larry123, Jul 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  2. That is one cool idea,but thing is that for 4K type video editing u need to have some horse power(processing power) and also ram.
    I think i7 provides multithreading with is good for video editing and better u use windows or mac .

3. D. Longfield

D. Longfield New Member

If you want to edit 4K video you will need an i7, at least 8GB RAM and a good graphics card like GTX1060. Also you will benefit from an SSD drive for faster read and write speeds.

DaVinci Resolve is available for CentOS as far as I remember. It supports the 4K resolution.

Hope this helps! :)