Can't detect my nvme SSD on Linux mint edge boot usb

Hmm not even arch Linux picks up the drive.... I've clearly done something to this drive and that's worrying... But windows still picks it up? Maybe if there is a way to completely format the drive ?

Just a thought (brainstorming) - back in #4 on page 1, @osprey said, in part

Perhaps there's a BIOS/UEFI option that may help. Often in dual boot, users will disable secure boot, and turn off fast booting in the BIOS/UEFI, so if those options haven't been so disabled, perhaps you could try those. If there are some other options in the BIOS/UEFI relating to the disks, they can be checked. The BIOS/UEFI should see the disks of course.

In particular in the BIOS/UEFI, if not already set, change SATA operations settings from RAID to AHCI.

Did you try either of those options? I can't find you specifically answering that.

Lenovo Thinkpads often have what is called a Novo button, often very small, at the side, which allows you to enter the BIOS setup utility.

Turning off Secure Boot and Fast Boot will not adversely affect the running of your Windows.

Hmm not even arch Linux picks up the drive.... I've clearly done something to this drive and that's worrying... But windows still picks it up? Maybe if there is a way to completely format the drive ?
Just as I was posting this reply, @wizardfromoz posted, which I would follow up on.

Here is the post I just prepared:

The idea of partitioning the drive is worth trying. The latest Gparted live disk has just recently upgraded to the 6.7.9-2 kermel version:

To run it, download the .iso file, write it to a usb, verify it and then boot it. See if sees the disk, and if it does, you can partition the disk and configure a filesystem if you wish.

The Gparted live manual is here:
and the website for Gparted is quite informative about its use.

Catching up on your post #60, if MS sees the drive, it's very unlikely to be a hardware issue, and it's unlikely that it has been damaged. It seems to me to be a matter of drivers and firmware not being available yet.

Last edited:
Just a thought (brainstorming) - back in #4 on page 1, @osprey said, in part

Did you try either of those options? I can't find you specifically answering that.

Lenovo Thinkpads often have what is called a Novo button, often very small, at the side, which allows you to enter the BIOS setup utility.

Turning off Secure Boot and Fast Boot will not adversely affect the running of your Windows
my bad sorry, yes i have secure boot off and fast boot off too

Just as I was posting this reply, @wizardfromoz posted, which I would follow up on.

Here is the post I just prepared:

The idea of partitioning the drive is worth trying. The latest Gparted live disk has just recently upgraded to the 6.7.9-2 kermel version:

To run it, download the .iso file, write it to a usb, verify it and then boot it. See if sees the disk, and if it does, you can partition the disk and configure a filesystem if you wish.

The Gparted live manual is here:
and the website for Gparted is quite informative about its use.

Catching up on your post #60, if MS sees the drive, it's very unlikely to be a hardware issue, and it's unlikely that it has been damaged. It seems to me to be a matter of drivers and firmware not being available yet.
downloading now and will try, im so sorry for all this mess and trouble.. just hate windows lol

downloading now and will try, im so sorry for all this mess and trouble.. just hate windows lol

Don't be sorry. It happens. Sometimes there's a combination of hardware and software that don't work well with each other. This normally goes quite smoothly and easily.

strange, but I have never had a problem seeing any kind of drive, IDE, SATA, M2, SSD or any other in Fedora. Maybe the OP should give my favorite a try.

Arch still doesn't work .. I wonder if they're are any other distros y'all recommend to try ?

I guess you are referring to your proposal at: https://www.linux.org/threads/dual-and-multi-boot-systems.47320/
Unfortunately, the OP is working with a Lenovo Thinkpad E14 Gen 5 rather than a desktop box.
My reply last time never made it.... You couldn't be more wrong. I never said anything about that article which is very usefull. Maybe you should re-read, What I said was that I never had a problem with storage devices in Fedora and that maybe the OP should try fedora again and use the VM for windows.

My reply last time never made it.... You couldn't be more wrong. I never said anything about that article which is very usefull. Maybe you should re-read, What I said was that I never had a problem with storage devices in Fedora and that maybe the OP should try fedora again and use the VM for windows.
I'm sorry about the misunderstanding. It was the expression "my favorite" that tripped me up and which I misinterpreted.

Last edited:
@APTI are we talking Fedor 39 or the 40 Beta?

39 ships with 6.5.6, 40 Beta with 6.8

Wiz

so i downloaded and tried fedora 40 beta but still no luck on the drive.. i still cant get over how it was picked up and now its not.. i must have done something

OK thoughts for today
check in the EUFI/BIOS that the second input stream is enabled
As its a laptop try a bios re-boot assuming the new drive is in place, save all work, disconnect any cables [power/printer etc] then press and hold the power button down for 60 seconds, release and switch back on, [ this won't affect your bios settings but may re-boot the component connections

OK thoughts for today
check in the EUFI/BIOS that the second input stream is enabled
As its a laptop try a bios re-boot assuming the new drive is in place, save all work, disconnect any cables [power/printer etc] then press and hold the power button down for 60 seconds, release and switch back on, [ this won't affect your bios settings but may re-boot the component connections
ooo ok ok, how do i check the second stream? i cant find that in bios.. but windows does see the ssd so does that mean its working ?

but windows does see the ssd so does that mean its working
If windows is seeing it then it should be in correctly.
Re-booting the BIOS/UEFI doesn't always work but often clears odd problems

If windows is seeing it then it should be in correctly.
Re-booting the BIOS/UEFI doesn't always work but often clears odd
gave it a shot and still no dice.. its just odd lol i clicked partition drive and all of a sudden no show now...

Latest posts