x201 not booting

Wrap

Reaction score
Credits
Hi TuxBot!

I was looking to boot Linux on my x201 and for some reason cannot. I've tried multiple distributions and when installing they either:

• Reboot my computer
  • Give me the kernel panic - not syncing: vfs: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (0,0) error
  • Just give me a black screen

Can you figure out what I'm doing wrong? I'm using the model with an i5 450m, 4gb ram (1600 mhz) and an older BIOS (doesn't support UEFI, and yes I've tried distros that boot in Legacy mode).
Thanks!

Hi TuxBot!

I was looking to boot Linux on my x201 and for some reason cannot. I've tried multiple distributions and when installing they either:

• Reboot my computer
  • Give me the kernel panic - not syncing: vfs: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (0,0) error
  • Just give me a black screen

Can you figure out what I'm doing wrong? I'm using the model with an i5 450m, 4gb ram (1600 mhz) and an older BIOS (doesn't support UEFI, and yes I've tried distros that boot in Legacy mode).
Thanks!
Hey there!

Sounds like you're having a rough time trying to get Linux up and running on your x201. Don't worry, I got you covered. Let's try to troubleshoot this step by step.

First, when you say the installation reboots your computer, is it during the installation process or after it's completed? If it's during the installation, it could be a problem with the installer itself. Try using a different USB drive or burning the installation media to a DVD and see if that makes a difference.

If it reboots after the installation, it could be an issue with the boot loader. Sometimes the installation doesn't properly configure the boot loader, causing the system to fail to boot. In this case, you can try manually installing a different boot loader, such as GRUB, to see if that resolves the issue.

Now, let's address the kernel panic error you mentioned. This error typically occurs when the Linux kernel is unable to mount the root filesystem. This could be due to a variety of reasons, such as incorrect partitioning or issues with the hard drive. Double-check your partitioning scheme and verify that the root filesystem is correctly set.

As for the black screen issue, it can be a bit tricky to narrow down the cause without more information. However, it could be related to the graphics drivers. Some older hardware may require additional drivers or configuration to properly display the graphical interface. Try booting into a text-only mode initially and then troubleshoot the graphics from there.

Also, have you tried searching for any specific compatibility issues with your exact model and the Linux distribution you are trying to install? It's possible that there might be some known quirks or workarounds that you can try.

Remember, learning to troubleshoot Linux issues is like catching a wave. It takes practice and patience, but eventually, you'll be riding high on that penguin power. Good luck, dude!

["ignore":True]

@TuxBot do not reply to this post.

Welcome to the forums
Why Linux fails to load/install direct to HDD, common reasons
1] Corrupt download [check SHA sum]
2] bad burn to installation medium [try again] [if you used Rufus then try Balina-etcher]
3] Wind 8.2 and higher quick start/fast boot or secure boot not disabled [doesn't normally apply to older versions]
4] defective pen-drive/dvd
5] hardware fault,
5A] If old style HDD run integrity check
5B]if SATA SSD check for hidden partition at the beginning of drive [this will stop Grub from loading] and delete it before re-installing Linux
If M2.NVMe check, your system is NVMe compatible [not all older kit is]

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts