Wireless connection problem with my kali linux on VM

whiteduke

Reaction score
Credits
I installed Kali Linux on my VM virtual box, but I had no wireless out of the box. Ethernet works fine, and I can connect to wireless networks normally from Windows running on the same machine.

I found this video on Google which suggested I install the compatible wireless driver. I downloaded it from kernel.org, extracted it to ~/Desktop and ran the following commands:

$ cd desktop
$ cd filenameofthatextracted folder
$ make unload
$ make load

After these commands, my wireless NIC seems to be recognized (see iwconfig output below), but I can't see any available wireless networks. Also, the driver disappears after restarting, and I have to run the commands again and reinstall to get the NIC to show up in iwconfig again.

Relevant information:

root@Light:~# iwconfig

wlan1 IEEE 802.11abgn ESSID:eek:ff/any
Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=20 dBm
Retry short limit:7 RTS thr:eek:ff Fragment thr:eek:ff
Encryption key:eek:ff
Power Management:eek:ff

eth0 no wireless extensions.

lo no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11abgn ESSID:eek:ff/any
Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=20 dBm
Retry short limit:7 RTS thr:eek:ff Fragment thr:eek:ff
Encryption key:eek:ff
Power Management:eek:ff

hwsim0 no wireless extensions.

There is nothing wrong with your Kali or your connection, you need to learn how a VM/VB work you cannot access the net directly unless toy install another wi-fi dongle, all connections go via the host OS [which at this point I will assume is Windows] via a bridge

There is nothing wrong with your Kali or your connection, you need to learn how a VM/VB work you cannot access the net directly unless toy install another wi-fi dongle, all connections go via the host OS [which at this point I will assume is Windows] via a bridge
So I cannot access hostpot connection from my Kali but only the connections to which the host is is connected to?

The host controls the the connections to the net, so use the host wi-fi to connect [as you would normally] IF you want any OS that is inside a VB/VM to have direct contact to the net, you will need a seperate wi-fi dongle and you will need to change the parameter of the USB controller IN THE VM

These are things you should know before you even start to use Kali, it is for experienced Linux users not beginners, please read the Kali docs.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts